INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PBS News Hour

+20
Clueless
motherofburros
borderreiver
sumofabit
hockables
RickS
juanrey
brigitte
gringal
CanuckBob
David
Woody
Zedinmexico
Flamingo
Pedro
Rosa Venus
solajijic
SunFan
jrm30655
oncesubtle
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PBS News Hour Empty PBS News Hour

Post by oncesubtle Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Just showed retirees living it up in Chapala. (This from my sister who lives outside Philly.) So apparently all the news norte ain't bad.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

PBS News Hour Empty Re: PBS News Hour

Post by jrm30655 Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Call your sister and see if she can tell you exactly where the party is in Chapala. Chapala always seemed a bit quiet for my taste

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 pm

The PBS show featured...

Retirement/nursing homes
David Truly
Unrealistically low depiction of cost of living

Be prepared for an onslaught of Greek expats.

LOL

SunFan

Actually it was quite flattering.
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:43 pm

WE too heard from friends in Virginia and North Carolina about tonights show. Although the video annd photos were lovely the low cost of living was misrepresented. Since both of these couples have houses here and are familiar with the area I suppose they could be discerning about what they were hearing. Hogwash. But we looked good.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:35 pm

I haven't explored what assisted living type situations cost, so I have no idea how accurate the info is in the video. But I have met several people who still live NOB and come to visit their elders who are being cared for here in a much better manner I'm told and, evidently, at far lower cost.

A link to the PBS video
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:59 pm

the woman beside ron is 94.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:30 pm

From friends who have had to research this, most of the assisted living and nursing homes around Lakeside are charging $1200-1500 a month plus personal care items, medications and doctor visits.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:15 am

Here's a link to the vid.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/foreign-retirees-flocking-mexico/#.VZtD99cHt7A.facebook
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:24 am

Depending on needs 1k to 2k USD per month. We have friends family member in Alicias in La Floresta. Very good place.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:29 am

Pedro wrote:the woman beside ron is 94.

My mother-in-law is in the background of that photo, behind Ron, wearing the blue/green blouse and has her shades on. She is 95 and has full-time care in Ron's facility for about 3 yrs. now.. Her first move to Lakeside was in early '60's. That type of care in US runs around 6-9K+ per month depending on location.
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:24 am

I think the care facilities costs were not misrepresented and they stated the "average COL" here was $2500US, which is within the range IMHO.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:50 am

David wrote:I think the care facilities costs were not misrepresented and they stated the "average COL" here was $2500US, which is within the range IMHO.

Not meaning to argue the point but the "$2500" reference was "The average cost for independent living in the U.S. is about $2,500 a month.", which is right on target. "Independent living" in a facility gets you 3 meals a day, some limited supervision, and some planned group activities, etc.. Lakeside facility cost for "Independent living" is about 50-60% less than in the U.S... The big difference in scale is when you need full time, nursing home style care. That's when you really get hammered in the U.S.. Then the U.S. costs skyrockets to roughly 3-4 times the amounts charged Lakeside for 24/7 nursing home care.

Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Yep, it is all about labor costs. A nurse here might make $75 pesos per hour. NOB they are making $300 pesos (or more) per hour. The hard costs are about the same depending on the city up north.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:23 pm

One of my spouse's uncle and aunt moved into an assisted living complex in central CA.  It was $4,000 US dollars EACH.  When we visited, there didn't seem to be anything special about it. They said it was supposed to be "the best" in the area. Yikes. At least here, there's usually a nice garden to look at.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:31 pm

I have 2 aunts in France in assisted care facilities and they pay 1600 euros a month everything included, so 2500 dollars in Mexico sounds on the high side.
My mother looked into a high end one for later and it was 2100 euros. That one was pretty fancy, in a beautiful brand new building in a park. The cost in the US sound insane.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:35 pm

John Simmons, who was interviewed for the piece, lives in Abbeyfield and is a friend of mine. I've gone over to see him and he has a very nice little apartment with kitchen and patio area. It's just perfect for a single person. He pays 16,000 pesos per month and that includes 3 meals per day, internet, phone and utilities. He stated in the interview "slightly more than $ 1,000 USD / month".
That is considerably cheaper than any independent living facility up north. Which was the point of the piece.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:41 pm

My mother lives in a complex again in france, she has a nice one bedroom apartment with kitchenette a nice large balcony. They have a van that takes people shopping twice a week. The electricity water, heat,phone service included for 1100 euros a month. There is a restaurant downstairs (elevator) the gourmet , large meals cost 9 euro per person including wine, most people come with their little boxes and have left over for dinner...
The complex also offers rooms at 20 euros a night for visitors and meals at 10 euros. The meals for the visitors and the person living there can be served in their apartments or private room or in the general area.
It sounds like The US is out of touch with Europe and Mexico and Mexico does not look that cheap to me.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:31 pm

"The US is out of touch with Europe and Mexico.."

Yes, and of course this is true in many respects but surely in the healthcare field. My wife's uncle lived in what I will call a middle-class city of 40k in northern Indiana. He had to go into an assisted facility when his ALS got too bad. Nice but nothing real special. His room was quite large and the cost included all meals and some 'attendant' care. The cost was a staggering (to our mindset) $7,000/mo. Fortunately he was able to afford that, but when he died recently he had 'contributed' $250,000 to that place.

So, yes, out of touch......
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Your $1,000,000.00 a year American Doctors have expenses too... Legal Bills, Insurance Payments and The Maserati Dealership........... someones gotta pay Beer

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Rick S you are correct staggering..It is really not right, many people cannot afford that. In France many people cannot afford the cost eiher but the government picks up some of the cost and the kids also have to pay. What the kids pay is based on their income..not totally fair since in some families some kids are deadbeats and the ones that are working ge to pay a whole lot more..but that is what we do. The kids and sometimes grand-kids are liable for the parents and the government helps out as well. What doctors can charge is regulated. If you want faster service or famous doctors those guys ask for money under the table...corruption is everywhere .

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sumofabit Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:27 pm

But brigitte, France is full of French people.

sumofabit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:29 pm

You have not been there for a while obviously. Very Happy

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:40 pm

Interesting that prices for this kind of care are more reasonable in France. Surprising. I wonder what they'd be without the government subsidy, etc.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:25 pm

yes I wonder but even the expensive places are nothing like the prices in the States so something is off somewhere. Employees are a huge cost there , a cleaning lady costs an employer 30 euros an hour..because the SS and pension have to be paid so they are not saving money on the help and the realestate is not that cheap either. No wonder we are going broke..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:55 pm

Oh yeah, the US is definitely ridiculous, which is why so many up there are looking for alternatives. Just surprised by the France numbers.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next