INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's with the Trafficos all of a sudden?

+17
gringal
David
sampati
slainte39
Smartalex
viajero
Luisa
Hensley
brigitte
Gamina
CanuckBob
gvprod
SunshineyDay
artesialulu
Clueless
windrider17
Pogo
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's with the Trafficos all of a sudden? Empty What's with the Trafficos all of a sudden?

Post by Pogo Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Got a ticket for no seatbelt on Wednesday. There were two or three Trafficos, one or two in trucks, one on a moto, hiding out near the entrance to La Floresta. They were obviously lying in wait for passing gringo motorists (as usual, they payed NO attention to pick ups full of locals - one with five in the bed, one with seven). The guy who gave me the ticket said he had given out seven tickets so far that evening for no seatbelt. When I asked about the guys in the pick-ups, he said, "What guys; what pick-ups?" One was passing behind him as he spoke. Then he smiled at me and said, "It's just a little ticket - not very much money."

They were also there Friday morning. I was stopped again, but had my seatbelt on. He tried to tell me I did not have it on when I passed by him. I insisted I did have it on and he should prove I did not. I also told him I got a ticket the night before and that should be enough. He then backed away from the car and waved me on.

None of this surprises me; been through the same routine before. What surprised me was finding them there on Wednesday and Thursday morning. Did not see them on Friday morning or evening. I figure it must have been a "special event" shakedown. Seeing them at all was a surprise; I haven't seen any for weeks or maybe months. Anyone have any idea what the deal was?

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

What's with the Trafficos all of a sudden? Empty Re: What's with the Trafficos all of a sudden?

Post by windrider17 Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:24 pm

My wife was stopped without a real reason in the same area, threatened to impound the car and haul her off to Chapala because the "paperwork" was not correct. She caved and paid the mighty mordida. A month ago at a meeting I asked the head guy and some of his folks to look at my paperwork and tell me if it was in order. They looked at what I have in the car and said perfecto. All was good. Not today. Must have been an election or something. Our attorney said it ours was the third call to the office in the last four days. Said the mordidas have ranged from 400 to 3000 pesos.

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

What's with the Trafficos all of a sudden? Empty Re: What's with the Trafficos all of a sudden?

Post by Clueless Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm

I've noticed them also but haven't had the pleasure of a stop.

One of the real flaws here is that there is no way as far as I know of contesting the tickets; no "Not guilty, trial, etc." Don't pay and it shows up on your yearly renewal.

Of course I have to say it beats the heck out of getting a ticket NOB; usually a large fine and/or 1/2 day in court and/or traffic school and then your ins. rates usually go up.

Take your choice.

Basically you're being cited for DWG (Driving While Gringo).

You might want to go to Spencer's website and d/l his 2015 list of traffic laws, fines, etc. It's in both Spanish and English, and it's free.

I usually play dumb and give them my folder with my insurance policy in it and say "Seguro?" When they look in it, they find all my papers and $100.00. Not a problem.

$3,000 mordida? Maybe for running over a cop while drunk?
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by artesialulu Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:15 pm

The motocop was looking at all drivers passing him by on the Libramiento for the past several days. I have a simple solution to the problem. Comply with the law and wear your seat belt. Before the complaints were the cops were not enforcing the law. Now the complaints are that they are. Maybe it will prevent you being picked up off of the road with a sponge.
artesialulu
artesialulu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:32 pm

It is not only the Transitos---police are also out for mordida--must be to pay for the extra show of security during the election? LOL

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:44 pm

don't use the carretera, use main street and by pass the BullSXXX
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:57 pm

The suggestion of a simple solution, comply with the law assume that the only stops that will be made have something to do with law violations. Not realistic. I've been stopped for no seat belt twice and the last time I put a vehicle in gear without a fastened seatbelt was decades ago. Back in the days of lap belts. I am all for legit traffic enforcement.

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:04 pm

I have seen plenty of Mexicans pulled over by these guys too.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Insist on the ticket as it's MUCH cheaper than the mordida and you can pay at OXXO. If they refuse just say, "Folio o ya me voy".
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:05 pm

In EUrope you get major fines if the people at the back do not have seat belt..no mordida there but major fines.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:07 pm

In EUrope you get major fines if the people at the back do not have seat belt..no mordida there but major fines. So guys get with the program and wear a seat belt and feel lucky they do not bother with the back.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:47 am

Me too Bob, I would say it is at least 5 to one or more, last couple of days I have seen Mx's pulled over and no gringos.
And why fall into what they want, sit there and don't pay. Waste their time until they give up. Park in the sun, sit and enjoy your little chat with them.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:23 am

It really helps to make enough contact with the transitos so they know you. Open the window and wave at the guy controlling traffic at the tianguis, smile and make eye contact when you go by--every time, like they are real people doing you a service. You might even hand out a bottle of cold water on a hot day.

I was pulled over by a rookie in Chapala. He claimed I hadn't had my seatbelt on. Our then regular cop (Alberto) came over, saw me, and waved me on while he chewed out the rookie.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:48 am

That is good advice. Also people need to get the chip off their shoulder that they are "just targeting gringos" because that is not true. The transitos and the policia are equal opportunists. It just so happens there are a lot of gringos around here.

I was told that the seatbelt law is only enforced for the front seat. Is that true? Has anyone ever been cited for the rear passengers being unbuckled?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:58 am

CanuckBob wrote:

I was told that the seatbelt law is only enforced for the front seat. Is that true? Has anyone ever been cited for the rear passengers being unbuckled?
I believe that all passengers are required by law to wear seatbelts,someone posted a link to the Jalisco law on one of the forums.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pogo Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:54 pm

As usual, we have gone off on all kinds of realistic and unrealistic tangents here. I have lived here for over ten years; I know the ropes. Was not complaining about the ticket. Did not need the preaching or advice. All I wanted was an explanation of why they were here on those two particular days. I thought perhaps there was some special event they were collecting for. I usually only see them on weekends when the crowds arrive for the drive through to the fish restaurants.

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:27 pm

This is not such a mystery. In most of the civilized world, there are periodic campaigns to encourage people to "buckle up." Why is it surprising that they do the same thing here in Mexico?
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:27 pm

If you have been here all these years then you know the transitos go on these cruisades, one day is seat belt day another time it is something else.They have drives to straighten out people or fill their pockets depending on the side you are on.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pogo Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:06 pm

brigitte wrote:If you have been here all these years then you know the transitos go on these cruisades, one day is seat belt day  another time it is something else.They have drives to straighten out people or fill their pockets depending on the side you are on.

Yup! You are right. I guess it doesn't really matter what the crusade is for. Just have to recognize it when you see it and stay out of the way of the flashing swords. What's with the Trafficos all of a sudden? 860299

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:19 pm

I've been here FT for 3 1/2 years and have never been pulled over. I drive around lakeside almost daily and into Guadalajara at least once per month. I always wear my seat belt, don't speed through La Floresta, am cognisant of the one way streets and never turn left (north) in front of Wal-Mart unless there is a flashing arrow. Seems to have worked for me so far.

On the other hand I have had eleven photo radar tickets primarily from that portable unit they set up around Ixthulacan........jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pogo Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:16 pm

Until I read that last line, Bob, I thought, "Well he's just not trying." Very Happy

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:11 pm

CanuckBob wrote:That is good advice. Also people need to get the chip off their shoulder that they are "just targeting gringos" because that is not true. The transitos and the policia are equal opportunists. It just so happens there are a lot of gringos around here.

Your first paragraph is so true.  Nothing will upset Mexicans more than foreigners saying that Vialidad is sitting, waiting for passing gringos and let Mexicans slide by.  Do you know how many citations are handed out in the State of Jalisco and what pct. of those would be foreigners compared to Mexicans, even in the Chapala area or the Carretera from Chapala to Guadalajara. 
Mexico is larger than La Floresta.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sampati Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:38 am

Smartalex wrote:This is not such a mystery. In most of the civilized world, there are periodic campaigns to encourage people to "buckle up." Why is it surprising that they do the same thing here in Mexico?

I found it surprising because of the number of pick up trucks on the streets loaded with people and dogs in the bed of the truck, some standing up, some sitting on the edges of the bed and kids hanging over the sides of the truck. These riders have no restrictions but they can be pitched out of the back of a pick up in a heartbeat if there is an accident or upon a sudden stop. Just sayin.
sampati
sampati
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:56 am

Just sayin' what? "There oughta be a law?"
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:29 am

Mexico will not crack down on "too many people in a car", "People in the back of pick-up trucks", or "5 people on a scooter" anytime soon. It would cause serious hardship to a great number of people and probably have a negative affect on their economy.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next