INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to buy sulphur for the garden?

3 posters

Go down

Where to buy sulphur for the garden? Empty Where to buy sulphur for the garden?

Post by holdrja Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Does anyone know where to buy big bags of sulphur, to amend our soil with? We have that alkaline clay called "jaboncillo", and I've read that in the U.S., at any rate, there are big bags of sulphur for sale, cheap, to help lower the Ph in alkaline soil.

The ag chemicals store in Jocotepec sold us a tiny bottle of sulphur, to help our citrus trees which turn yellow and die -- but they don't have large amounts for sale. They called around and couldn't find any. We have 4 hectares of gardens and pastures to treat, so we need a lot.

BTW - we have been applying sulfato de ammonia for nitrogen fertilizer, on recommendation of the locals. When I researched how to improve alkaline soil, I read a reference that said that adding sulfate of ammonia to alkaline soil, produces a small and transitory upwards blip in Ph. But the real recommendation (other than composted leaf mold) is to add sulphur. Now if I could only find a source Lakeside!

holdrja
holdrja
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rdplakechapala.com/

Back to top Go down

Where to buy sulphur for the garden? Empty Re: Where to buy sulphur for the garden?

Post by Milena Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:43 am

Is sulfur called asufre in Mexico? If so, I also need it. On recommendation from Laura at the Garden Center in Riberas,I hired Gabriel from the vivero Tabachine in west Ajijic to come assess the needs of my sickly trees and he left a comprehensive list of chemicals with my gardener that I must find. A trip to Home Depot yielded no results and they had no idea where to get these items. One is 50 kilos of urea which apparently is the active component in urine... not sure what this is for and not sure I want to know! Also need nito fosco,1 kilo of cobre (copper). Anyone with ideas on how to get this?

Milena
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, hedonistic British wit.

Back to top Go down

Where to buy sulphur for the garden? Empty Re: Where to buy sulphur for the garden?

Post by Pedro Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Milena wrote:Is sulfur called asufre in Mexico? If so, I also need it. On recommendation from Laura at the Garden Center in Riberas,I hired Gabriel from the vivero Tabachine in  west Ajijic to come assess the needs of my sickly trees and he left a comprehensive list of chemicals with my gardener that I must find. A trip to Home Depot yielded no results and they had no idea where to get these items. One is 50 kilos of urea which apparently is the active component in urine... not sure what this is for and not sure I want to know! Also need nito fosco,1 kilo of cobre (copper). Anyone with ideas on how to get this?
if this gabriel recommended you get these ingredients and you paid him for the consult, wouldn't it be wise to pay him to get them? if he can't then ask him what else would be good that he can get.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by holdrja Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Yes, sulphur is called azufre. We got big 20 kilo bags of it in a new little farm supply store in Chapala, on the west side of Pepe Guizar a block or 2 or 3 north of Gonzalez Gallo.
Happy to report that it is working well for us - the grass is recovering. Be sure to apply it on a non-windy day as the powder is very light.
Urea is a nitrogen source - the locals taught us to use big costales (bags) of sulfato de ammonia, which is almost purely nitrogen and also has the side benefit of slightly acidifying our alkaline soil. You need to water well after applying this (or wait until the rains come, to apply it) as it will burn plants if it is left sitting on them. We applied this together with the sulphur, and spread some of our compost on top, then harrowed it all into the soil of the pastures. And watered a LOT. But of course our water is alkaline too - the gardens and the pastures are SOOO much happier with rain water.
holdrja
holdrja
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rdplakechapala.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Milena Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks, Holdrja and Pedro. If I can't find them locally I could ask Gabriel but I leave this week and my gardener has no way to get them without me so trying to get them right away. Will try to locate the agricultural supply on Chapala.

Milena
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, hedonistic British wit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down