INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much should I budget for rent - in campo or somewhere with large yard?

+7
Hensley
Jim W
slainte39
Traveller
Mainecoons
Zedinmexico
riogrande888
11 posters

Go down

How much should I budget for rent - in campo or somewhere with large yard? Empty How much should I budget for rent - in campo or somewhere with large yard?

Post by riogrande888 Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:31 pm

I am living in San Miguel and here there are two categories of rent- gringo prices- very dear! And none gringo areas and prices, which are much more reasonable.

I am looking for a clean, decent 2-3 bedroom house in a safe area, does not need to be fancy, or gated but needs to be safe. It could be in a Mexican working neighborhood.

I have a car and prefer country life. I have house sat in San Miguel for people who are snow birds or are trying to sell their homes. I am open to doing that but perhaps there is not a demand down there. I do have well behaved pets, so that is a consideration.

Any thoughts on what I might pay for rent somewhere in the Lake Chapala area? I am looking for a long term lease sometime within the next 5 weeks or so.

Thanks!
riogrande888
riogrande888

Back to top Go down

How much should I budget for rent - in campo or somewhere with large yard? Empty Re: How much should I budget for rent - in campo or somewhere with large yard?

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:24 pm

You are coming at high season but you are long term so that's good but best pickings are after winter high season.  Prices are less here than SMA but quality can vary along with price.  More for Ajijic less farther away. My advice is short term rent in Ajijic and visit all around including Chapala, San Antonio even Jocotopec if you want a more Mexican experience.  Guess on rent for   2/3 br in Ajijic is 600 to 1200 depending on conditions and location. If you want rural go across lake but visit all before a long term lease is signed in my opinion. You have a car so you can visit and see.  I assume you speak decent Spanish if you don't mind being in a Mexican working neighborhood so you could also live in Peso rent land which is cheaper than dollar based rents as a rule but you might need to have your own stove and fridge for example.   Not sure you should just move here and sign a long term lease unless you are sure. We have a rule here rent rent rent than  buy. A long term lease is a lot like buying in my opinion.  Are you sure they don't boil animal parts or run a grinder all weekend in the neighborhood you just signed a long term lease?  Oh what we now know after six years here regarding rentals that we didn't know when we moved here.  You have been politely warned laugh out loud!

Good Luck

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

How much should I budget for rent - in campo or somewhere with large yard? Empty Re: How much should I budget for rent - in campo or somewhere with large yard?

Post by Mainecoons Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Large yards are unusual in the lower priced rentals in Ajijic.  They are more common further out but then you have the consideration of internet service quality and access if you are working.  Your best bet is probably to look either east of Chapala or west of Ajijic where density is lower and there are more homes with some land.

Lots tend to be pretty limited in Ajijic, Chapala, San Antonio and Riberas.

The close-in hillside properties also don't tend to have big lots.

You can find very moderate rentals with spacious lots in Roca Azul, which is out by Jocotepec. That has the advantage of pretty fast access to the north and west side of GDL though not to the airport. It is pretty far from the expat action, however, and the road from Joco to Ajijic is a tope ridden nightmare.

Sounds like you are approaching this in the right way, spending some serious time looking here before you rent.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Traveller Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:33 pm

We've lived in both SAT and West Ajijic over the last four years. Many neighborhoods and gated communities are mixed, with both ex-pats and Mexicans (locals and/or weekenders from Guad).

I agree with the advice from Zed and Mainecoons. As Zed said, you might consider starting with a short-term rental. Give yourself time to look around before getting locked into a long-term commitment. You'll find a wider field of choices with better prices when you are here in person as opposed to looking on the Internet. You will also get a better handle on prices here so you'll recognize a great deal when you see one.

There are plenty of Se Venta signs around here even though it's very close to peak season.

House sitting opportunities are available although there seems to be a bit of competition in that field. You will stand a better chance when people know you in person.
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 pm

The two largest fraccionamientos in the Ajijic/San Antonio area are:
La Floresta....majority of owners who are Mexican
Chula Vista....which is about 50/50 Mexican and foreign ownership.

The rental/renter population demographics probably breaks heavier towards the foreign population, but that is hard to determine as fraccs don't compile names of renters.  Until 1988 there was only one foreign owned home in the SJC Raquet Club, but that has changed now.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Chapala Haciendas might work for you. Approximately 1 mile from Soriana. Homes have larger yards for pets and pools.

Good luck and safe travel.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:36 am

I sent you a personal message.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

How much should I budget for rent - in campo or somewhere with large yard? Empty Nice Place in La Floresta

Post by Sunnyvmx Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:09 am

I was looking yesterday with a friend. Not for me as I am very happy in my casita which happens to be right in back of this home. It's a 2BR/2B unfurnished for $500 or furnished for $550. Inside parking for one car, large rooms, fireplace, rear patio with a small grass yard. La Floresta is upscale, quiet and centrally located to everything. If I didn't already have a beautiful place with wonderful Mexican landlords, I would snap this one up in a hurry.
Sunnyvmx
Sunnyvmx
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lots of it

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:38 am

I would also suggest Chapala Haciendas. Several rentals available, reasonable - under $500 - and good sized lots. Check with the FRAAC office for rentals.

La Floresta has a pet limit - I believe it is 2 dogs.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:13 pm

I had a beautiful 2 story, 3 bedroom, den, 3 bath, solar hot water, covered outdoor kitchen w/room for large party, or parking 3 cars.  Lot was large with fruit trees, not big enough for a horse but dogs and cats.  Two blocks from a country road that meandered thru farmland. Cost was $4000 pesos ... non furnished

Look in Jocotepec
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 am

I live on the "other " side of the lake and have over 1 ac. for my dog to roam and play on. It is quiet, beautiful and a long drive across. If you like more remote I would suggest San Luis Soyatlan and areas around it. You can pm me any questions you have if this is an area you would like.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down