INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rainbirds

+8
borderreiver
johninajijic
oncesubtle
CanuckBob
eñe
Ray
David
itsme
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rainbirds Empty Rainbirds

Post by itsme Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Heard my first rainbird of the season tonight around 8 PM, does this mean the rain will come early this year? Shocked

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Rainbirds Empty Re: Rainbirds

Post by David Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 pm

No, it don't mean squat. This happens every year. Rains will come the second week of June. Conagua is saying that the rains will be late. I can't iamagine how they would know. They haven't been right yet. We've been here 5 years and the rains have come the 2nd week in June every year. Oh, there may be a little bit sooner, but the real rainy season begins when the rains move in from the east.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Rainbirds are members of the Cicada family, their sounds are triggered by warmer weather, starting around 80 - 82F, nothing to do with rain.
Ray
Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Ray and David are right, but they sure take the fun out of the legend or myth that rains begin 40 days after the first rainbird sings. grin. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Zoey wrote:Ray and David are right, but they sure take the fun out of the legend or myth that rains begin 40 days after the first rainbird sings. grin. Zoey

True, I like the mystique as well!
Ray
Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:42 pm

I thought it was 6 weeks. That would have the rains coming early. Conagua says the rainy season will be late this year. We'll have to wait and see who's right. My money is on the 2nd week of June.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:49 pm

David wrote:I thought it was 6 weeks. That would have the rains coming early. Conagua says the rainy season will be late this year. We'll have to wait and see who's right. My money is on the 2nd week of June.

I'm with you. Five years here, too. Always second week in June, although we get some teasers beforehand. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by eñe Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:27 pm

"Y-e-e-e-e-e-e-ttttt-chhhhhhht-eeeeeeeeekkkk-th-th" a direct quote from a Rainbird, no translation provided. Rainbirds Icon_sunny

eñe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:44 pm

When I first heard them I thought someone was running some sort of 2-stroke weed trimmer........

Bob
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Elaine St. John wrote:"Y-e-e-e-e-e-e-ttttt-chhhhhhht-eeeeeeeeekkkk-th-th" a direct quote from a Rainbird, no translation provided. Rainbirds Icon_sunny

No problem Elaine, I just ran it through Googletranslate and it says, "Gonna rain June 14 at 6:42 p.m.", so that's my bet. Any takers?
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 pm

Nope, that's too late. June 9 is my guess.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:34 pm

CanuckBob wrote:When I first heard them I thought someone was running some sort of 2-stroke weed trimmer........

Bob

Too funny. When I first heard them, I could not get to sleep. Had no idea what they were and thought it was erratic electrical issues at a neighbors. Now, I welcome them and sleep like a baby. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Elaine St. John wrote:"Y-e-e-e-e-e-e-ttttt-chhhhhhht-eeeeeeeeekkkk-th-th" a direct quote from a Rainbird, no translation provided. Rainbirds Icon_sunny

Would you mind giving me a call and doing that over the phone? I think it loses something in writing. grin. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 pm

oncesubtle wrote:

No problem Elaine, I just ran it through Googletranslate and it says, "Gonna rain June 14 at 6:42 p.m.", so that's my bet. Any takers?

That was funny. You have really come out of your shell quite nicely. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Zoey wrote:
oncesubtle wrote:

Thank you Zoie, I think. Now I gotta hide the shell before Candace finds it and paints it 17 different colors or makes a shirt for it. BTW, wasn't joking about the rain date bet, I got 50 pesos sayz I'm right. Anyone want to get a pool going? Step right up. Basketball

And speaking of rainbirds, it seems like every year they sound the same, a monotone high frequency pitched buzz. However this year we have one living very close that has an undulating and high pitched hum. It sounds just like a flying saucer from an old B grade movie. It's really odd and I think we might get square rain drops this year but I ain't going to bet on that one. If anyone would like to hear it come on over, just bring some tequila. :cyclops:
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 pm

They are singing fast and furious out here in West Ajijic tonight. Many at once.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue May 01, 2012 11:15 pm

CanuckBob wrote:They are singing fast and furious out here in West Ajijic tonight. Many at once.

Bob, I did hear a couple of short bursts a couple nights ago, but not tonight. Maybe I was too involved in the chase scene in the movie.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Tue May 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Does anyone have an image of a "rainbird"?
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 02, 2012 4:20 am

They are called Cicadas and look something like this:

Rainbirds Cicada10
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 02, 2012 9:06 am

Ugly mother. I've seen bigger ones on the sides of my palm tree trunks.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed May 02, 2012 9:31 am

The cicadas need the heat to get in the mood for sex and they also need the rain to soften the ground and bury the next generation, hence the timing. They do not come out every year , they can stay buried for several year before resurfacing.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 02, 2012 9:40 am

brigitte wrote:The cicadas need the heat to get in the mood for sex and they also need the rain to soften the ground and bury the next generation, hence the timing. They do not come out every year , they can stay buried for several year before resurfacing.

I have heard them for the past 11 years that I've lived here. Some years they are louder than others.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed May 02, 2012 10:03 am

Hundred of thousands are burried or maybe more , there is always a percentage of them coming out so you hear them every year but cicadas are known to stay many year under ground. Just because you hear the ones that are out that year does not mean the others are not buried. I got that information years ago from a University professor who knows just a little bit more than we do about these bugs.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed May 02, 2012 12:19 pm

oncesubtle wrote:
Zoey wrote:
oncesubtle wrote:

Thank you Zoie, I think. Now I gotta hide the shell before Candace finds it and paints it 17 different colors or makes a shirt for it. BTW, wasn't joking about the rain date bet, I got 50 pesos sayz I'm right. Anyone want to get a pool going? Step right up. Basketball

And speaking of rainbirds, it seems like every year they sound the same, a monotone high frequency pitched buzz. However this year we have one living very close that has an undulating and high pitched hum. It sounds just like a flying saucer from an old B grade movie. It's really odd and I think we might get square rain drops this year but I ain't going to bet on that one. If anyone would like to hear it come on over, just bring some tequila. :cyclops:

I'm in! 50 pesos on June 11th.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed May 02, 2012 12:32 pm

The original estimated start dates for the rain were made make in 2010. If I am reading Lake Chapala Weather Net correctly, the first serious rain of about .5" occurred on June 12th in 2010.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next