INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

carbon monoxide detectors and mosquito larvacide

+2
itsme
TrueBrit
6 posters

Go down

carbon monoxide detectors and mosquito larvacide Empty carbon monoxide detectors and mosquito larvacide

Post by TrueBrit Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Two things you would imagine would be sold everywhere here appear to be MIA on the shelves of everthe places ywhere I have looked (garden centers, HomeDepot, Costco, etc.).
With dengue fever and imprudent use of space heaters indoors, I expected them to be readily available - or have I been looking in all the wrong places? There is a very safe larvacide called BTI, which is approved in every US state for use - even in drinking water and comes as 'Mosquito dunks' (slow release) or Mosquito Bits (granules).

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

carbon monoxide detectors and mosquito larvacide Empty Re: carbon monoxide detectors and mosquito larvacide

Post by itsme Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Two years ago I printed out the info on the dunks and took it to Laura at the garden center and asked that she get them. I stated it would be a great seller here. I guess she was not interested in doing that.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

carbon monoxide detectors and mosquito larvacide Empty Re: carbon monoxide detectors and mosquito larvacide

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 am

Danger from proper functioning Catalytic gas heaters is from Oxygen depletion.  Cat burns up nasty gases just like your car. Takes about 10 minutes to get hot. I have a CO2 detector and never heard a peep from it even when I try to make it go off. You do need fresh air that's a fact but most Mexican houses are full of holes. Your mileage may vary due to differences in houses or a malfunctioning furnace. I think the detector one would want would be a low 0xygen detector. Never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by lobita Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:32 am

I imported Mosquito Dunks for myself from the US. Would *love* a local source. Plus I know friends who would want them too.
lobita
lobita
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyco Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Danger from proper functioning Catalytic gas heaters is from Oxygen depletion.  Cat burns up nasty gases just like your car. Takes about 10 minutes to get hot. I have a CO2 detector and never heard a peep from it even when I try to make it go off. You do need fresh air that's a fact but most Mexican houses are full of holes. Your mileage may vary due to differences in houses or a malfunctioning furnace. I think the detector one would want would be a low 0xygen detector. Never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

This advice about oxygen depletion from catalytic gas heaters is spot on, as oxygen is often depleted from 20.9 percent down to just 8.8 percent in a closed room,   while CO levels stay modestly low at non-threatening levels of 67 ppm - 109 ppm.  Why not have a low-oxygen sensor?   The low oxygen from catalytic gas heaters simultaneously causes high CO2 - and it is  CO2 levels that make us pant and breathe rapidly.      In contrast, CO is a silent killer - quietly binding to hemoglobin, inhibiting our blood's capacity to carry O2,  WITHOUT causing increased breathing rates,  meaning high CO does NOT cause panting or rapid breathing - so CO detectors are needed to detect high CO problems.

Since CO2 causes us to start to pant heavily,  rapidly,  noticeably - we notice our reactions to high CO2 - making us a very good  "low O2" detector when using a catalytic gas heater in an enclosed space.   Starting to pant?   Open a window or go outside.

snowyco

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 am

So is there such a thing as O detector??? Anybody know??

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:05 am

Zed
 I believe the 'O' detector is the oxygen sensor on portable LP heaters and fire places. When the oxygen level reaches a certain low point the units automatically shut off.
Approx. half the cost for a safe LP fireplace burner is the cost of the sensor or $500. Bought separately the sensor unit can be bought for approx. $80  to $100us. on line.  
bill

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down