INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing Liquor into the US through Texas

Go down

Bringing Liquor into the US through Texas Empty Bringing Liquor into the US through Texas

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:43 pm

For years, we have lived with the premise that as a general rule US Customs only allowed 1 liter of liquor per person when returning from outside the Country with the exception of when one returned from a US Territory. Somewhere along the way, they revised the rules to comply with individual state regs: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/~/bringing-alcohol-%28including-homemade-wine%29-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

Out of curiosity, I did some research into what limits existed for bringing Tequila back into the US through Texas. Turns out Texas will allow you 1 gallon per person but expect to collect their tax on each bottle. Towards this end, they apparently have made provisions to collect these taxes at Ports of Entry. In looking at the tax chart, it appears they charge you $5.50 per gallon which includes a $3.00 administrative fee. An amount I would be more than willing to pay to bring in a gallon. When looking at the list of Ports of Entry, they were strictly the ground crossing points from Mexico and no mention made of airports. So I wrote an email to: Karen.Smithwick@tabc.state.tx.us. As Field Operations - Ports of Entry Director, she responded with the following information relative to landing in San Antonio:

"Since you will be traveling by air you will be subject to the U.S. customs importation tax and laws – they will also limit the quantity to the Texas limit. However, we do not have taxing facilities at airports and therefore the state of Texas importation tax will not be collected at the San Antonio airport.

Enjoy your trip and your brief time in Texas!"
I can only vouch for the accuracy of this info with respect to flying into San Antonio and would recommend emailing Karen with respect to any other airports.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down