INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

iPad email problem

5 posters

Go down

iPad email problem Empty iPad email problem

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 29, 2014 1:16 pm

When I open my email on iPad, I get an error message saying: "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server failed." The only option is to click "Okay" and then that box closes. That´s it.
Email on my desktop is fine.
Anyone have a clue what this message means and what I can do about it?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

iPad email problem Empty Re: iPad email problem

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 29, 2014 1:29 pm

I do not look a gift tablet in the monitor, gratefully accepting gifts I am given.
So, given that I HAVE an iPad and a problem, any constructive thoughts?  Very Happy 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Calexico Thu May 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Did you change your email password on your desktop? You may need to the same on your iPad or try the following:
Try this first - Reset the iPad by holding down on the Sleep and Home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons. (This is equivalent to rebooting your computer.)

Or this - Delete the account in Mail and then set it up again. Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Accounts Tap on the Account, then on the red button that says Remove Account.
Calexico
Calexico

Humor : warped

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Thank you Calexico! Now we are getting somewhere! I did change the password on the account a few days ago.
I had already tried your first suggestion and went to the second. I deleted the account from my iPad and went to put it back in. I entered the account information, clicked NEXT, and it says "This account may not be able to send or receive emails. Are you sure you want to save?" and an option to click edit or save. WHAAAAT?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Calexico Thu May 29, 2014 3:07 pm

Lady, that message is normal! I know its weird! Go ahead and click save. I am including a link to a website that gives step by step instructions for adding an email account to an iPad. http://www.dynamod.com/support/email-setup-apple-ipad.php
HTH
Calexico
Calexico

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 29, 2014 3:29 pm

Honest to god, Calexico, I think I love you! Yeehaaaawwww!
I have struggled with this for two days and now I am back in business with my iPad.
The first time I ignored that mesage I ended up back to the "not connected to server" message and came close to throwing the iPad across the room. I restrained myself and instead deleted the account AGAIN. This time I followed the instructions in the link you sent. I have an iPadAir so the screen shot did not fit what I was looking at, but everything worked this time!
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and helping out a stranger. Much appreciated!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Calexico Thu May 29, 2014 3:31 pm

De nada. Happy emailing!!
Calexico
Calexico

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri May 30, 2014 12:08 pm

Calexico wrote:De nada. Happy emailing!!

Thank you for your help. We are weak on Apple Knowledge on this board.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat May 31, 2014 1:00 pm

Hola Mr. Calexico! Welcome to the board and thanks for helping the Otter. Might you also be able to help my wife who has an Apple issue? Her iPad only has a range of about 20' from the router and our living room is 30' where the signal cuts out. The signal is only a few degrees off a direct line of sight through two open doorways. Your advise would be appreciated. Muchas gracias.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:26 am

Try holding device in a different manner. Many past Apple units are sensitive to where you hold your hands.  This is a guess from the past and may not apply to your unit but I know it applies to many I phones.  Second thing to try is move/rotate  the router around. Do you have this problem outside of home using public wifi?? If
no than we need to work on your router if yes it is in your IPad. Hope you get your answer oncesubtle.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hueco_negro Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:06 am

Oncesubtle, get some else with a tablet or smart phone to connect to your router via wi-fi and see what happens. Its possible the wi-fi chip is defective, which you could also check by going some place with a public router where the router is in plain view and see what happens there.
hueco_negro
hueco_negro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hueco_negro Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:22 am

This made me curious. I have a newer model Nexus 7 that has an N chip, but an older Telmex router with only a B chip. When I'm at my desk, a distance of about 20' from the router and going through only one wall, the signal shows four bars. Walked out to the street, a distance of about 80 feet and going through four walls of the house plus the wall of the garage, and was still able to get 2 bars and decent performance on a couple of websites.

When I bought the Nexus 7 since it had the N chip I though about asking Telmex for the newer N router but have never felt the need.
hueco_negro
hueco_negro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Calexico Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:47 am

Z and Hueco offered great troubleshooting suggestions. Do any of your other wi-fi enabled devices have trouble connecting in your living room? It is not unusual to lose signal strength especially if you live in a concrete constructed home. I would try moving the router to a less wall encumbered area if possible. If not possible, you may have to invest in a wi-fi signal extender to provide service to the living room. Or it could be a flaw with the iPad. Good Luck! Ken
Calexico
Calexico

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:14 am

I use a corner loaded (works like a corner horn speaker Klipsch for example) wifi antenna that fits into a corner and outputs in a 90 degree spread with a very strongly boosted signals. I also have standard larger 9db gain antennas that replace the short five inch job. These work well also.  One can also purchase repeaters (amped) that work quite well also. You can also buy extention cords for wifi antennas which I use also. My house has two foot walls and lots of metal so a combination of all these solve all my problems. PM me if you want to see any of this stuff. A friend of mine who live 1/2 mile away goes home and is still logged onto my wifi. I do live on a hill FYI.  I gave up on the stock no external antenna telmex/telecable units by plugging a router/switch with external antenna into the modem. I purchase one with three antenna and with extention cords it allow you to put the three antenna around where needed. I was very impressed with the Amped repeater.  Plug it into a wall plug remove the short stock antenna and put a Asus 9db antenna with extention cord to raise the antenna up for example. My repeater shows up on WIFI as the same name as the source for repeating with RE at the end of the name.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks folks, we'll start with the easiest and work our way down the list.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down