INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Central Ajijic Street Robbery

+11
viajero
mielicita
Lady Otter Latté
espíritu del lago
CanuckBob
Pedro
zenwoodle
Seventyseven
brigitte
bman2
Sideways
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Central Ajijic Street Robbery Empty Central Ajijic Street Robbery

Post by Sideways Thu May 01, 2014 6:14 am

This happened very close to my home; it is a street where it has always been safe to walk along at night. (report from lakechapalacrime.com):

Ajijic - Theft from person

Date: Friday, April 26, 10 pm
Type: Theft from Person
Source: Victim
At Home? Yes
Description:
My friend and I walked from her house a few block away to mine, on the mountainside, just up from the Carretera. We were carrying a few  bolsas with magazines & food stuffs.

We were talking and not aware of any persons out on the sidewalks or anhyone following us. Usually both of us are attentive.

There is a very bright streetlight burning on my street but I need a flashlight in order to put the key into my outside lock. I was carrying a large one. I put my parcels down on the sidewalk as I was opening the door. Suddenly from absolutely nowhere, this dark hooded figure grabbed my purse and ran up the mountain, darting in and out between the trees. We were literally stunned. It happened in a flash.

We began screaming "Ayudar, Help, Policia, Police" but there was absolute silence. No one came. One of my next door neighbors says that the walls must have prevented them from hearing us. Ajijic Clinic/Hospital is across the street (side) and nobody came out either. That was the scariest.

Once inside I realized that the robber had gotten my second set of keys to the house along with about 300 pesos and my address/agenda book and personal stuff. I did not have my wallet or credit cards with me thank heavens.  My friend was leaving for NOB at 3:00am and had to get back to her house alone. So she picked up a big stone and bravely ran down Javier Mina.

We think we spotted another hooded figure further up hiding between the trees on the sidewalk but can not be certain. There is no way I could identify this robber. He was hooded and very quick. I am from a big city and have never encountered anything quite like this.  This was a real pro.

He could have stabbed me, polled me into a car or whatever and there would have been nothing to stop it. I doubt if I will ever go out after dark if it requires walking home.

Date Added: April 29, 2014

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Central Ajijic Street Robbery Empty Re: Central Ajijic Street Robbery

Post by bman2 Thu May 01, 2014 8:22 am

Thank goodness you were not physically assaulted...here is some helpfull information from a Police Department:

PURSE SNATCH:
DO NOT....
carry a bag that makes you a target. A bag that dangles from the shoulder can be easily yanked off your shoulder by someone coming up from behind.
DO NOT....
carry your bag in such a manner that you can't let it go if you have to. Many women have been injured because their own bags acted as handcuffs as a purse snatcher yanked it away, dragging down the road or parking lot
DO....
be aware of your surroundings and carry your bag close to your body, tucked in the bend of your elbow.
DO....
minimize the amount of money and credit cards that you carry with you on a daily basis. Divide your money between pockets and bags.
IF...
you are the victim of a purse snatch do not fight to hold onto your bag, especially if there is a weapon involved.
Coming Home Late at Night:
• Avoid shortcuts that are not well traveled or well lit.
• Know what reputable stores are open in your neighborhood late at night. If you suspect that you are being followed stay away from lonely quiet blocks and head for the store you know to be open.
• When walking to your car or on your way home, keep your keys in your hand until you are safely inside for added protection.
• If someone drops you off at home by auto, ask the driver to wait until you are safely inside.
• If a motorist bothers you while you are walking turn around and walk in the opposite direction of the car. Do this as often as necessary and he should get discouraged.
If You Are Driving:
• Keep windows rolled up, except for a small. ventilation space and keep your doors locked.
• If someone attempts to force you off the road, don't panic..... blow your horn constantly to attract attention. If you are forced over, as soon as you stop put your car in reverse and back away..... keep blowing the horn and moving the car as much as possible.
• If you suspect that someone is following you make a few turns down active streets if possible. If the auto you suspect is following you makes the same turns as you then head for the nearest police station, fire house or open store. Don't try to make it to your own quiet residential area.
• Try to park your car in a well-lighted area, this is not only good from the standpoint of discouraging a personal attack on you but also for reducing the chance of auto theft. Look around before you get out of your car.
• Before getting into your car, look inside first to make sure no one is hiding in the back seat. When leaving your car, make sure it is locked.
At Home You Should:
• Have your key ready before you get to the front door.
• Make sure your entrance area is well lighted.
• If you live in an apartment don't be polite and hold the lobby door open for a stranger who has been waiting.
• List only your last name and first initial in your mailbox.
• Don't buzz someone inside unless you know them.
• If a stranger wants to use your phone for any kind of call from business to emergency........ Keep him out and you make the call for them! Any problems or in doubt? Call the police!
• If you arrive home and find your door open DO NOT GO INSIDE call the police from a pay phone or neighbor’s house and ask them to meet you.
• Don't get on the elevator with a stranger if your own good judgment warns you against it -- need an excuse to avoid embarrassment say something like; "Oh I forgot my mail."
bman2
bman2

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu May 01, 2014 8:48 am

Time to change the locks.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Thu May 01, 2014 9:18 am

What street was this? Javier Mina? What time was this?

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Thu May 01, 2014 9:21 am

Seventyseven wrote:What street was this? Javier Mina? What time was this?
Read the OP. All the information is there.  Beer 
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 am

I see it is 10pm. Too late to be walking outside.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu May 01, 2014 10:04 am

not in my neighbourhood
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 am

Seventyseven wrote:I see it is 10pm. Too late to be walking outside.

Really??? I think not. A woman had her purse snatched a few months ago at 12:00 noon right near La Bodega. Time of day (or night) means nada......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Thu May 01, 2014 11:01 am

Pedro wrote:not in my neighbourhood
Arrogance at its finest and a unnecessary comment.  Central Ajijic Street Robbery 661816 Central Ajijic Street Robbery 968748 : Rolling Eyes 

Where is your compassion for a traumatic event, Have you no shame? What if this happened to your wife and someone responded in your thoughtless manner?

espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Thu May 01, 2014 11:21 am

Bob, There was help at 12 noon near the Bodega. People were out, she got her purse back as well. When it after 9 p.m. the streets are empty. It's kind of creepy up there anyway.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 01, 2014 11:45 am

There are lots of people still out at 10:00pm. I am out regularly around centro at that time and later, walking to/from various places. Not many gringo's though.....
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu May 01, 2014 12:18 pm

espíritu del lago wrote:
Pedro wrote:not in my neighbourhood
Arrogance at its finest and a unnecessary comment.  Central Ajijic Street Robbery 661816 Central Ajijic Street Robbery 968748 : Rolling Eyes 

Where is your compassion for a traumatic event, Have you no shame?  What if this happened to your wife and someone responded in your thoughtless manner?

why don't you use both comments. as 77 said one should not be out on the street after 10pm and i merely said not in my neighbourhood in response. have you no shame-back atcha-take off eh! senor texas who likes the idea of shooting mere burglars to kill.
just for your edification, in many large cities there are women's protest marches[at night] who's purpose is to take back the night. fortunately in this area in which you don't live it is not a huge problem day or night.
Central Ajijic Street Robbery Take-b10
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Thu May 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Bob, The location of of the incident is isolated and dark. The corner of Javier Mina Carrettera mountain side is really bad at 10 p.m. Even the restaurant Gossips is closed. The clinic is quiet as well. Yes, there are creeps lurking about. It is not a busy place, there are no families sitting on the streets. It is basically a vacant lot, and closed industrial and commerical businesses. Even outside of Guad Pharm is off limits unless you are driving to the entrance, and thats one block down across.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 01, 2014 2:16 pm

So then maybe your comment should have said "10:00pm is too late to be walking in that area" not "too late to be walking outside".

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Thu May 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes, but that does cover "most" areas these days unfortunately.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu May 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Seventyseven wrote:Yes, but that does cover "most" areas these days unfortunately.
no it does not"cover MOST areas" by any stretch of the imagination unless it's yours-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Seventyseven wrote:Yes, but that does cover "most" areas these days unfortunately.

I have to agree with pedro. Unless you are out and about at 10:00pm and beyond on a regular basis (which I highly doubt you are) then you really can't even comment on what is happening on the streets at that hour.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 01, 2014 4:12 pm

Isn´t it great when someone says they never go out after dark and then proceeds to pontificate about how it is (everywhere) after dark to the people who DO go out there? I live in Chapala and regularly walk my neighborhood after dark, including to the taco stands opened until midnight (or later) and busy with neighbors hanging out. Those of us not living in a paranoid bubble are having a good time before and after dark.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by mielicita Thu May 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Seventyseven wrote:Bob, The location of of the incident is isolated and dark. The corner of Javier Mina Carrettera mountain side is really bad at 10 p.m. Even the restaurant Gossips is closed. The clinic is quiet as well. Yes, there are creeps lurking about. It is not a busy place, there are no families sitting on the streets. It is basically a vacant lot, and closed industrial and commerical businesses. Even outside of Guad Pharm is off limits unless you are driving to the entrance, and thats one block down across.

Excuse me, 77, but the area outside of Farmacias Guadalajara at 10pm is not bad; I live as you well know, very near by....to the south. Lights, people always in the street, and the lights of the pharmacy....I am not a risk taker, but walking around the block to the pharmacy has never been a problem at that hour. The taco people are on the corner just below the pharmacy, the lady that makes hamburgers lives in a house catty corner to the pharmacy....I know it's easy to describe the area by Ajijic Clinic, both to the north and south...but talk about crime in your own backyard...mine is just fine thank you. Tacos Compadre is open across from Lloyd, etc. etc.

mielicita
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Thu May 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Bob, You are right. mielcita, The taco man was shot and killed last December '12 (drug dealing). I was visiting a friend we heard the shots. I would not count on his family as protection. (That is not a good reference, I rest my case). There were two armed robberies at the Phram. Last week somethng happended to an expat. I have not reported it, as i need more details. There are creeps lurking around the vacant lot, and on the walkways. Yes they do cross the street. The street along the side of the pharm is not good. The back of Torittos is very dangerous at night. They have the rooster fights at night. Maybe they stopped, as this was several months ago. For me, the cut off time is around 8-8:30 p.m.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu May 01, 2014 5:54 pm

Seventyseven wrote:Bob, You are right. mielcita, The taco man was shot and killed last December '12 (drug dealing). I was visiting a friend we heard the shots. I would not count on his family as protection. (That is not a good reference, I rest my case). There were two armed robberies at the Phram. Last week somethng happended to an expat. I have not reported it, as i need more details. There are creeps lurking around the vacant lot, and on the walkways. Yes they do cross the street. The street along the side of the pharm is not good. The back of Torittos is very dangerous at night. They have the rooster fights at night. Maybe they stopped, as this was several months ago. For me, the cut off time is around 8-8:30 p.m.
have a nice early evening at home by yourself-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mielicita Thu May 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Seventyseven wrote:Bob, You are right. mielcita, The taco man was shot and killed last December '12 (drug dealing). I was visiting a friend we heard the shots. I would not count on his family as protection. (That is not a good reference, I rest my case). There were two armed robberies at the Phram. Last week somethng happended to an expat. I have not reported it, as i need more details. There are creeps lurking around the vacant lot, and on the walkways. Yes they do cross the street. The street along the side of the pharm is not good. The back of Torittos is very dangerous at night. They have the rooster fights at night. Maybe they stopped, as this was several months ago. For me, the cut off time is around 8-8:30 p.m.

The "taco man" was shot after midnight; you might have heard the shots, but my neighbors had just walked out of the little restaurant.  Do you know for a fact that his family deals drugs and wouldn't help?  Do you know them?  I do.  I am not going to argue with you....while you don't live there, nor do you know the people, you can tell us for sure what happened.  Thanks.  Are you saying something happened to an expat last week at the Farmacia, that you know about, but haven't yet reported?  When were the two armed robberies?  Do you remember.  You know, this is the last time I will respond to anything you write, as you are basically just full of shit in all of your personalities.   don't know why I let you get me riled up...Canuck Bob doesn't seem to know why you get some of us going...I don't I don't...and I want to see how much you post while you're on your trip....remember, you have to keep up your alter egos while you're on the rails.

mielicita
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu May 01, 2014 6:16 pm

mielicita wrote:

The "taco man" was shot after midnight; you might have heard the shots, but my neighbors had just walked out of the little restaurant.  Do you know for a fact that his family deals drugs and wouldn't help?  Do you know them?  I do.  I am not going to argue with you....while you don't live there, nor do you know the people, you can tell us for sure what happened.  Thanks.  Are you saying something happened to an expat last week at the Farmacia, that you know about, but haven't yet reported?  When were the two armed robberies?  Do you remember.  You know, this is the last time I will respond to anything you write, as you are basically just full of shit in all of your personalities.   don't know why I let you get me riled up...Canuck Bob doesn't seem to know why you get some of us going...I don't I don't...and I want to see how much you post while you're on your trip....remember, you have to keep up your alter egos while you're on the rails.
the twit 77/ bronco et al knows absolutely nada so relax and be mildly entertained. i quite wonder how anybody this stupid has lived this long-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 01, 2014 6:29 pm

77/Bennie/SUSAN, I too am finished playing your game--on the boards and in the community. If, as you go about your "business", you notice people giving you strange looks, just know that they are finished playing too.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Thu May 01, 2014 7:26 pm

Bob, I made a mistake, misread your post. I have been out late, so you are incorrect with my accessment. Most areas even if they look nice, are not great after dark. mielicita, Taco man was shot at midnight right at his stand concerning a drug deal. I know more than you do. Yes, details not  rumors. But what does it matter? At least to me it doesnt. The other stuff was documented, except the recent expat incident. I really do not care if you go out late, where you go, or who you like. It has no affect on my life. Oviously I have some importance in your life? If you do not care for my comments, use the foe feature, rather than complaining to Daddy. No one forces you to read this. How am I supposed to know where you live?

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next