INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People

+27
Seventyseven
Mainecoons
Flamingo
arbon
papa chango
SunshineyDay
sparks
CHILLIN
lunateak
Lady Otter Latté
espíritu del lago
Playaboy
Nosnow
viajero
slainte39
Axixic
Ms.Thang
CheenaGringo
simpsca
Mad_Max
gringal
Pedro
Trailrunner
Intercasa
Rolly
CanuckBob
TTT
31 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People  - Page 3 Empty Re: Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:59 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:I still hope TTT explains what the state of the reviewer´s ovaries and uterus have to do with her opinion about the hotel. Perhaps there is a medical explanation with which I am unfamiliar.

So do I. Perhaps this comment explains it . . ."I actually like being called a chauvinist."

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People  - Page 3 Empty Re: Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People

Post by SunshineyDay Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:02 am

Did you notice she did not take pictures or at least share them????
I go with the competitor theory.

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:11 am

SunshineyDay wrote:Did you notice she did not take pictures or at least share them????

Can't say for sure but I don't think so. Many reviewers do NOT share photos. She is specific about when she stayed and mentions there were eight in her party. It would be a simple matter for Roberto to figure out who she was based on that information alone.

That said, the SUBSEQUENT review (posted yesterday by someone from Chapala) is obviously planted and not a legitimate review. Someone attempting to balance things out for Roberto - obvious and really not helpful to his cause because of it.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:19 am

SunshineyDay wrote:Did you notice she did not take pictures or at least share them????

Pictures wouldn't have shown the taffeta sheets. Maybe the poop.

I read the review again to make sure I wasn't being too biased in Bobby's favor.  If, indeed, the dishes were dirty, the air conditioning less than adequate and there was some kind of poop around, then she had a point.  However, everybody else who's stayed there was positive, so I'd say she's had the "cabin at the lake" experience and wasn't expecting it.  Hey, she could have stayed at the Karmina Palace in Manzanillo where everything is just about "perfect" in the cleanliness department; the air conditioning is efficient and silent and .........it only costs about three times more.  But you get washcloths shaped into little swans!! Shocked 

I went back and read the favorable review from "Ginger" in Chapala. I don't think it was a plant. There's a frequent poster on Chapala.com whose handle is "Ginger". Probably an honest opinion.

I enjoy stopping at Cayutlan on the way home from the beach: they have some excellent beach front food places.

Last edited by gringal on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 am

gringal wrote: ...everybody else who's stayed there was positive... "

Yes, but the last review prior to hers was in May 2013. That the place appeared (to her) to be going downhill was part of her point, I think.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:31 am

Proving once again that Mexico isn't for everyone!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:31 am

Axixic wrote:
gringal wrote: ...everybody else who's stayed there was positive...  "

Yes, but the last review prior to hers was in May 2013. That the place appeared (to her) to be going downhill was part of her point, I think.

Good point, Ajijic. Frankly, we are all judging this from far away and haven't actually seen the place on a current basis. In fact, I've never seen it.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:44 am

gringal wrote:

I went back and read the favorable review from "Ginger" in Chapala.  I don't think it was a plant.  There's a frequent poster on Chapala.com whose handle is "Ginger".  Probably an honest opinion.

I don't doubt that Ginger is expressing an honest opinion but she stayed there in December 2013 and did not choose to write a review until AFTER the negative one appeared (and received attention in the GR and here) so I have no doubt that it was written in a misguided attempt to balance things out somewhat for Roberto.

I say "misguided" because her motivation is obvious and that could raise the possibility of fraud in the minds of casual readers. And if this positive review was fraudulent, what of the other positive reviews? I don't think it is helpful at all.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:49 am

Besides, we don´t even know if Ginger´s ovaries are functioning so how can we judge her review?  Dead Horse 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:51 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Besides, we don´t even know if Ginger´s ovaries are functioning so how can we judge her review?    Dead Horse 

Excellent point!
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:57 am

Ya know prior to commitment,  I myself when staying anywhere NOB or SOB request a walk through ***if I have any hint of this just might not be my cup of tea feeling***.

Maybe others should try doing that as well.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:59 am

I don't think it's much of a surprise that many of TA's reviews are often solicited by the innkeeper or restaurant owner and thus are 5 star.  I have only reviewed a couple of places and both times I was asked to.  
I think the value in TA are the pictures and other information regarding the location and quality of hotel/restaurant rather than comments left by strangers.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:03 pm

Axixic wrote:

So why not go stay there, check it out and let us know what you think of the place?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:05 pm

espíritu del lago wrote:Ya know prior to commitment,  I myself when staying anywhere NOB or SOB request a walk through ***if I have any hint of this just might not be my cup of tea feeling***.

Sure, if you're driving to Akron and pull off the highway to see if that Motel 6 might do for the night.

But if you've guaranteed your reservation with a credit card (very common) or even pre-paid your stay via credit card (VERY common) then you are at the mercy of their cancellation policy and most do not allow you to say "Uhhh, never mind" without penalty.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:07 pm

simpsca wrote:
Axixic wrote:

So why not go stay there, check it out and let us know what you think of the place?

Because that is the PURPOSE of reviews on TripAdvisor. To help me choose which places I may find suitable to my needs without having to go there first.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Axixic wrote:
gringal wrote:

I went back and read the favorable review from "Ginger" in Chapala.  I don't think it was a plant.  There's a frequent poster on Chapala.com whose handle is "Ginger".  Probably an honest opinion.

I don't doubt that Ginger is expressing an honest opinion but she stayed there in December 2013 and did not choose to write a review until AFTER the negative one appeared (and received attention in the GR and here) so I have no doubt that it was written in a misguided attempt to balance things out somewhat for Roberto.

I say "misguided" because her motivation is obvious and that could raise the possibility of fraud in the minds of casual readers. And if this positive review was fraudulent, what of the other positive reviews? I don't think it is helpful at all.

But, but: December 2013 was only a few months ago. Most people don't bother writing reviews at all, and I see no problem with her saying something positive about her stay after reading the one trashing the place. Fraud? How so?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:17 pm

gringal wrote:
Hate to put it so bluntly, but when you make a post that includes something offensive to some people, it's no use trying to wiggle out of the intended insult by narrowing it down to exactitudes.  So.......just "woman up" and deal with the fallout.  "post menapausal" was clearly meant as a negative. Thumbs down
I agree,TTT will find that back pedaling on this forum is almost always counterproductive.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:23 pm

The comment by Connie H. reminds me of a trip I took to Cuyutlàn about 5 years ago.

I had been there before. I had family living in nearby Armeria.  

I learned Canadian friends of mine that owned a house in San Juan Cosala were expecting visitors from Canada and wanted to take them to the beach. They made reservations at a hotel in Cuyutlàn. I asked if I could catch a ride with them there. I planned to visit with my family in Armeria and then catch a bus back to lakeside.

When we arrived at Cuyutlàn, the women in the car took one look at the black sand beach and declared it "dirty". They got back in the car and continued on up to Manzanillo or Barra de Navidad.

I recall another time I was talking with a Canadian couple at the plaza in Ajijic. They were snow birds who had rented a place for 6 months but they were leaving after 3 months because Ajijic was too "rustic".

Mexico is not right for some people.

flag waver
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:23 pm

gringal wrote:
But, but:  December 2013 was only a few months ago.   Most people don't bother writing reviews at all, and I see no problem with her saying something positive about her stay after reading the one trashing the place.    Fraud?  How so?

Most don't bother writing reviews at all but when they do, the legitimate reviews (those not written by friends of the owner or at the request of the owner) are written shortly after the stay occurred - not three months later.

Fraud in that the possibility presents itself that the positive review was written at the request of the owner or by a friend of the owner (I am NOT saying that happened in this instance - I am sure it did not) but looking at the sequence, a casual reader might suspect that the positive review is a fraud. And if the casual reader suspects THAT review is fraudulent they are likely to wonder about ALL the positive reviews the place has received (I know I would.)
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Axixic wrote:
espíritu del lago wrote:Ya know prior to commitment,  I myself when staying anywhere NOB or SOB request a walk through ***if I have any hint of this just might not be my cup of tea feeling***.

Sure, if you're driving to Akron and pull off the highway to see if that Motel 6 might do for the night.

But if you've guaranteed your reservation with a credit card (very common) or even pre-paid your stay via credit card (VERY common) then you are at the mercy of their cancellation policy and most do not allow you to say "Uhhh, never mind" without penalty.

While I agree 100% w/you, even with credit card payments, I found management to try and accommodate me with another room when available and one time in Manzanillo I got a whole suite, ocean view! Guess I just lucked out!  flag waver 
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Axixic wrote:
gringal wrote:
But, but:  December 2013 was only a few months ago.   Most people don't bother writing reviews at all, and I see no problem with her saying something positive about her stay after reading the one trashing the place.    Fraud?  How so?

Most don't bother writing reviews at all but when they do, the legitimate reviews (those not written by friends of the owner or at the request of the owner) are written shortly after the stay occurred - not three months later.

Fraud in that the possibility presents itself that the positive review was written at the request of the owner or by a friend of the owner (I am NOT saying that happened in this instance - I am sure it did not) but looking at the sequence, a casual reader might suspect that the positive review is a fraud. And if the casual reader suspects THAT review is fraudulent they are likely to wonder about ALL the positive reviews the place has received (I know I would.)  

I guess we'll never know in this case. Bobby, having taken the trouble to put an ad stating his point of view on the matter, may be sick of being an innkeeper on general principles and maybe this was just the "last straw". I can understand that. We often put up with the negatives of a job or profession until something triggers the "I quit" button.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:35 pm

gringal wrote:
I guess we'll never know in this case.  Bobby, having taken the trouble to put an ad stating his point of view on the matter, may be sick of being an innkeeper on general principles and maybe this was just the "last straw".  I can understand that.  We often put up with the negatives of a job or profession until something triggers the "I quit" button.  
I agree-this was probably the tipping point - for whatever reasons - we will never know. But I will be much more careful when i review anything from now on:)
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Does Roberto's Inn have a website or FB page with pictures? I wonder why he didn't comment on the review on TA?

My family owns a lake house in South Carolina which is rented out on a vacation rental website. It is a nice place but not fancy or 5 star and the price per night reflects that. Most of the reviews we get are good and the negative comments usually seem that they would be more appropriate if they were being applied to much more costly accommodations and that is kind of frustrating.

Things like good quality sheets are top priority though, and there should be extras. There is no way I could sleep on Taffeta sheets, I would change the bed with the extra sheets provided and not consider it something to mention in a review.
At our lake house there are some towels that are less than new but always clean. No one ever complains about them because the rental price doesn't scream " new luxurious towels".

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Take a look at the TA poster's profile:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/connieh18
Her travel map sure shows a great deal of travel experience!

Also of note, she has only been a TA member since Feb. 2014 and that her negative review of Roberto's place has received 3 helpful votes.

It is impressive that she is from Ajijic.  Long time local? Or is she like the "locals" who claim to be local within the first week of moving to Aspen, Sun Valley, St Croix, Nantucket, Daytona Beach, etc.?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:01 pm

gringal wrote:
I guess we'll never know in this case.  Bobby, having taken the trouble to put an ad stating his point of view on the matter, may be sick of being an innkeeper on general principles and maybe this was just the "last straw".  I can understand that.  We often put up with the negatives of a job or profession until something triggers the "I quit" button.  

From the evidence presented on this thread and the proprietor's ad in the GR....I would say " the first and last straw".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Has anyone seen an advert' for Roberto's place that states cooking facilities?

There are nice photos from 2012, and priced now @ $5000 pesos for 10 people for a weekend, private bathrooms ETC' but no cooking.

But an "OPEN" restaurant maybe?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next