INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People

+27
Seventyseven
Mainecoons
Flamingo
arbon
papa chango
SunshineyDay
sparks
CHILLIN
lunateak
Lady Otter Latté
espíritu del lago
Playaboy
Nosnow
viajero
slainte39
Axixic
Ms.Thang
CheenaGringo
simpsca
Mad_Max
gringal
Pedro
Trailrunner
Intercasa
Rolly
CanuckBob
TTT
31 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People  - Page 2 Empty Re: Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People

Post by viajero Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:59 pm

CheenaGringo wrote: I would be willing to bet that she is either from or spent a good deal of time in a particular US State.  One State generates far more critical and nasty reviewers than most of the other States combined.  They are some of the worst examples of the Ugly American that we have run into all over Mexico  
Which state is that?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People  - Page 2 Empty Re: Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People

Post by Nosnow Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:47 pm

My sympathies are with Roberto, however everyone here keeps referring to this complainer as "her". How do they know it wasn't a "Him"?
The "menopausal women"remark was uncalled for,not to mention chauvinistic.
Let's stay on the subject and stop throwing insults around…and no I'm not menopausal.

Nosnow
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:04 pm

Come on Chris!

Do you need a clue? What is biggest, better or best?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:14 pm

Nosnow wrote:My sympathies are with Roberto, however everyone here keeps referring to this complainer as "her".  How do they know it wasn't a "Him"?
Let's stay on the subject and stop throwing insults around…and no I'm not menopausal.

Maybe....a Conrad???     scratch    Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:26 am

California?????

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 am

Nosnow wrote:...everyone here keeps referring to this complainer as "her".  How do they know it wasn't a "Him"?

Copied and pasted from her Profile:

"Traveling with us since 2014
Ajijic, Mexico 65+ year old woman"
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:00 am

You should have looked at her FB page their ain't no way she's 65 not unless she has a plastic surgeon on her  payroll.  I believe she lists Alijic as her home because it's a 2nd home for her during the year.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:21 am

espíritu del lago wrote:You should have looked at her FB page their ain't no way she's 65 not unless she has a plastic surgeon on her  payroll.  I believe she lists Alijic as her home because it's a 2nd home for her during the year.

I guess I missed the link to her facebook page.

Anyway, the point was, she is being referred to as a woman because her profile indicates that she is a woman.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TTT Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:51 am

Nosnow wrote:My sympathies are with Roberto, however everyone here keeps referring to this complainer as "her".  How do they know it wasn't a "Him"?

65+ = post menopausal. I actually like being called a chauvinist, I think I will add that to my TA profile.

Are you one of those people who believe gender is a social construct and object to the use of the words "her" and "him"? "She" self-identifies as a female, age 65+, so I think that clears the way for all of us to refer to Connie H. as "her" and for me to refer to "her" as post-menopausal.

BTW, how come it is okay for you to call me a chauvinist but not okay for me to point out that a female, post 65, is most likely post-menopausal? Are you from that terrible state in the USA that Neil mentioned?

TTT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:02 am

I am wondering what the state of her ovaries and uterus have to do with her opinion about a hotel. If she was still ovulating and menstruating every month would she have liked it better?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:06 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:I am wondering what the state of her ovaries and uterus have to do with her opinion about a hotel. If she was still ovulating and menstruating every month would she have liked it better?
I don't understand why you should wonder - it perfectly describes the author's mindset.  I wish we had an equivalent for men - if one was so inclined to have to resort to that to describe gender and age- however, 99.9% of the time I find it unnecessary - but every once in awhile............
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:22 am

Mad_Max wrote:
I don't understand why you should wonder - it perfectly describes the author's mindset.  I wish we had an equivalent for men - if one was so inclined to have to resort to that to describe gender and age- however, 99.9% of the time I find it unnecessary - but every once in awhile............

I don't find it particularly useful to assume that because a woman is of a certain age and therefore post-menopausal that her 'mindset' will be fixed in a certain direction. Neither would it be useful to make that assumption about men of a certain age.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:25 am

Axixic wrote:
Mad_Max wrote:

I don't find it particularly useful to assume that because a woman is of a certain age and therefore post-menopausal that her 'mindset' will be fixed in a certain direction. Neither would it be useful to make that assumption about men of a certain age.
I was NOT describing the woman who made the trip advisor post - I was describing the author of the post that used that description in this thread who I assume is a male with biases.
Sorry for the confusion -

Here is the author's partial post that I am referencing (sorry TTT - but this is a no no for some readers)
TTT wrote: - I always disregard the ones that differ that much from the consensus, and I also throw out the ones from petty, parochial, post menopausal women, as a matter of course.  

Last edited by Mad_Max on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:27 am

There is an equivalent...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_male_syndrome
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:28 am

There is a word for people that is not gender specific.  We all are familiar with the word a**h0l3  Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People  - Page 2 661816
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:30 am

espíritu del lago wrote:There is a word for people that is not gender specific.  We all are familiar with the word a**h0l3  Roberto's Ad in the Guad Reporter Re: Mean People  - Page 2 661816

Yes, and it is also not age specific.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:32 am

Just for the record - because it bugs me that so many get it wrong - the "Ugly" Americans in the book were the nice ones. They volunteered their knowledge and skills to help the locals. The "Ugly" ones were the good looking, politico types, full of handshakes, smiles and empty promises.

Living on the saltwater consumes a huge amount of maintenance. Too often, owners become complacent, living with the decay every day. It is helpful to sometimes have an objective eye look over things, especially before the season. The reviewer was expecting a suite in the Four Seasons - she got a casual, family place - sort of like a 'cabin at the lake'. It's all about attitude.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:34 am

Hear hear.. If the shoe fits beat' em over the head with it and shove in the appropriate orifice.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:37 am

Writing and posting a review shouldn't be a gender specific thing even though the two sexes often have differing priorities or needs. I made a glaring error when I said she handed out 4 poor ratings and should have said 4 terrible ratings. Personally, I don't really care for the labels that TA provides for their reviews. Like all ratings systems, there exists a built in conflict with other systems. Mexico has had a 1 - 5 star system for their hotels and we have found that to be a joke. Which system is more reliable - Michelin, AAA, Zagat, Fodors, etc. Since TA relies on the experiences or opinions of actual travelers, it leaves itself open for a wide variety of ratings often influenced by people having a bad day or bad travel experience, or the backpack style traveler, or the traveler who thinks they are more special that they are, or a myriad of other factors. And then you have some people with a "I am on vacation attitude" and everything is truly excellent because they aren't dealing with snow or pressures of being at home.

We have learned to take the rating and reviews found on TA with a grain of salt and try to identify reviewers of like thinking, similar experience levels and expectations. At the two ends of their scale (Terrible and Excellent), my ratings rarely find either. Since I often include photos of the establishment or the food, I feel those will speak for themselves and my comments are fairly minimal.

It can be very interesting when you receive your monthly recap of which reviews are being read the most, the countries the readers are from and the geographical concentration of popularity of your individual reviews. For example, my most popular review was of the Leon Holiday Inn (Zona Piel location) with 12,000+ reads out of a total of 43,000+ reads. Go Figure?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:40 am

TTT wrote:

65+ = post menopausal. I actually like being called a chauvinist, I think I will add that to my TA profile.

Are you one of those people who believe gender is a social construct and object to the use of the words "her" and "him"? "She" self-identifies as a female, age 65+, so I think that clears the way for all of us to refer to Connie H. as "her" and for me to refer to "her" as post-menopausal.

BTW, how come it is okay for you to call me a chauvinist but not okay for me to point out that a female, post 65, is most likely post-menopausal? Are you from that terrible state in the USA that Neil mentioned?

Hate to put it so bluntly, but when you make a post that includes something offensive to some people, it's no use trying to wiggle out of the intended insult by narrowing it down to exactitudes.  So.......just "woman up" and deal with the fallout.  "post menapausal" was clearly meant as a negative. Thumbs down

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:41 am

Almost half was about Cuyutlan which can be a surprise if you've never been
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:42 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Writing and posting a review shouldn't be a gender specific thing even though the two sexes often have differing priorities or needs.  I made a glaring error when I said she handed out 4 poor ratings and should have said 4 terrible ratings.  Personally, I don't really care for the labels that TA provides for their reviews.  Like all ratings systems, there exists a built in conflict with other systems.  Mexico has had a 1 - 5 star system for their hotels and we have found that to be a joke.  Which system is more reliable - Michelin, AAA, Zagat, Fodors, etc.  Since TA relies on the experiences or opinions of actual travelers, it leaves itself open for a wide variety of ratings often influenced by people having a bad day or bad travel experience, or the backpack style traveler, or the traveler who thinks they are more special that they are, or a myriad of other factors.  And then you have some people with a "I am on vacation attitude" and everything is truly excellent because they aren't dealing with snow or pressures of being at home.  

We have learned to take the rating and reviews found on TA with a grain of salt and try to identify reviewers of like thinking, similar experience levels and expectations.  At the two ends of their scale (Terrible and Excellent), my ratings rarely find either.  Since I often include photos of the establishment or the food, I feel those will speak for themselves and my comments are fairly minimal.  

It can be very interesting when you receive your monthly recap of which reviews are being read the most, the countries the readers are from and the geographical concentration of popularity of your individual reviews.  For example, my most popular review was of the Leon Holiday Inn (Zona Piel location) with 12,000+ reads out of a total of 43,000+ reads.  Go Figure?

Neil summed it up quite well. ..
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:47 am

bump

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:49 am

I still hope TTT explains what the state of the reviewer´s ovaries and uterus have to do with her opinion about the hotel. Perhaps there is a medical explanation with which I am unfamiliar.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:50 am

CHILLIN wrote:The reviewer was expecting a suite in the Four Seasons - she got a casual, family place - sort of like a 'cabin at the lake'.

Here's a synopsis of her review:
- Could not cook because kitchen too disorganized.
- Dishes too dirty to use without washing.
- Unable to locate soap to wash dishes.
- Taffeta sheets - no cotton pillow cases.
- Scary bathrooms (not explained).
- Towels old and less than clean.
- Inadequate air conditioning in downstairs bedroom.
- No restaurants other than beachfront seafood stands.
- Dog poop on the edge of the swimming pool.

So yes, you're right - she sort of got a "cabin at the lake" experience.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:59 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:I still hope TTT explains what the state of the reviewer´s ovaries and uterus have to do with her opinion about the hotel. Perhaps there is a medical explanation with which I am unfamiliar.

So do I. Perhaps this comment explains it . . ."I actually like being called a chauvinist."
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next