INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Be Honest w/yourself... Don't let your ego kill you or someone else

+4
Rolly
Jim W
Lady Otter Latté
espíritu del lago
8 posters

Go down

Be Honest w/yourself... Don't let your ego kill you or someone else Empty Be Honest w/yourself... Don't let your ego kill you or someone else

Post by espíritu del lago Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:22 pm

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-02-older-drivers-usat1a_N.htmI'm in a similar situation w/ my wife  but different circumstances. What i did  was mechanically disable  her car.  If you know of friends and family, have the talk. It's not worth a life or lives. The following excerpt. Was borrowed I from City Council Data Forum.  I have tried to correct the italics however  the  computer Gods want to give me a hard time. 

My thoughts? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!Having had to take my mother's car keys away (after she totaled my car at age 82) and having watched many of my friends have to do the same against extreme resistance, I feel for you. As far as constructive advice goes, not so much. This is such a Catch 22 ... the fact that elders don't understand why they shouldn't be driving is the evidencethat they shouldn't be driving. I honestly don't understand why insurers aren't more on the forefront of this issue. They don't have any trouble jacking up rates sky-high when there's a teenage driver on the policy. Meanwhile, analyses show that the skill levels of elderly drivers are very similar to that of young teens. A five-year study conducted by Carnegie Mellon University and the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety revealed that from ages 75 to 84, the rate of about three deaths per 100 million miles driven is equal to the death rate of teenage drivers. For drivers 85 and older, the fatality rate skyrockets to nearly four times higher than that for teens. That would be bad enough, without even considering that the number of drivers over the age of 75 is skyrocketing.An article in USA Today says, "Normal aging causes medical problems that affect driving. Reflexes, flexibility, visual acuity, memory and the ability to focus all decline with age. Medicines that treat various ailments also make it more difficult to focus and make snap decisions. Elderly drivers are less likely than other drivers to be in crashes involving high speeds or alcohol, but they are more likely to crash at intersections where they miss a stop sign or turn left in front of oncoming traffic." That's the verdict on normal aging. Something your mother is, unfortunately, not experiencing. If all the problems listed above were the only ones she had it would be sad enough. But with her additional health issues, she is likely also to forget where she is, have a coughing spell, have trouble with her oxygen, or some other complication while she's behind the wheel. My mother was already having what you call "ambulatory issues" when she wrecked my car — and that was the cause. She tried to stop when the traffic ahead of her slowed for a construction vehicles and to use her words, "I just couldn't get my foot to work on the brake." She hit two other cars, totaled the one she was operating, and was charged with reckless driving. She was one mile from home when this happened, which demonstrates that the excuse, "I was just going around the corner," is irrelevant. It sounds to me as if your father's conveniences trump any feeling he has for public safety. So maybe you can prevail upon your mother to make a sensible choice. If she calls a car service without asking permission first, what's he going to do about it? Feel free to share my mother's story with her, as well as the statistics in this article:Older, dangerous drivers a growing problem.

Here is a link addressing the issue.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-02-older-drivers-usat1a_N.htm
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Be Honest w/yourself... Don't let your ego kill you or someone else Empty Re: Be Honest w/yourself... Don't let your ego kill you or someone else

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Espiritu, with the numbers of aging and diminished-capacity seniors around here, this is especially important for us all to consider. We have to come up with a plan to protect ourselves while we can think clearly about it. (Obviously, for some of us it is already too late.) Thanks for taking the time to share this.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Be Honest w/yourself... Don't let your ego kill you or someone else Empty Re: Be Honest w/yourself... Don't let your ego kill you or someone else

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Espiritu, toughest think for me to deal with was taking the keys away..and selling the car..tell tale signs front and rear scrapes on vehicle......there are many at Lakeside that shouldn't be driving, as well.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:55 pm

One of the most dangerous places in the area is the parking lot at Super Lake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:02 pm

I gave up driving at the age of 79. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was obvious to me that I was becoming a danger to myself and to others -- poor vision, slow reaction times, easily distracted, etc. It was like the final surrender to old age. I hated it.

I'm am lucky to have four friends who are willing to tote me around when I need to go out.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Try combining the old age issues with a family member who was abusing alcohol! Naturally he considered himself the "world's best driver" but at 10am in the morning after nipping on the vodka bottle (unknown to me), he took an exit off the freeway where none existed. Thanks goodness there wasn't a fence or arroyo and the car stopped in the sand. I pulled the keys and screamed: "never again"! When we got home, I told my mother she was never to get in a car with him driving and I bailed out on any further contact.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:37 am

My mother is 83 and doesn't drive on the freeways anymore. She does have a car that is only four inches smaller than single garage. She says if she hits the mirrors she will stop driving. Some people are just sensible about such things. I know I am lucky. Actually she drives better around Bellevue faster and safer than I could.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:41 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Try combining the old age issues with a family member who was abusing alcohol!  Naturally he considered himself the "world's best driver" but at 10am in the morning after nipping on the vodka bottle (unknown to me), he took an exit off the freeway where none existed.  Thanks goodness there wasn't a fence or arroyo and the car stopped in the sand.  I pulled the keys and screamed: "never again"!  When we got home, I told my mother she was never to get in a car with him driving and I bailed out on any further contact.  

Harsh. That left her alone to deal with it.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:57 am

Harsh? Probably but no more than your "judgement" without knowing all the details. It was a mutual decision by my mother and myself since we recognized that my presence was exacerbating the problem. As it turned out, he managed to straighten himself out on his own after realizing he was no longer the big shot in retirement.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:03 pm

I base my response on what was posted.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:24 pm

My Mom had a minor accident at about 85 and I asked the nice young policeman to make her take the driving test.

She went to driving school and took a special class for seniors given by AAA. I learned that she had NEVER taken a driving test or the written test. She got her license in rural Iowa in the 1920s, moved to Colorado and just kept renewing it. There were lots of things she was surprised to learn - like what the little mirrors on the side of the car were for.

She drove 2 more years and then had a small stroke. Her doctor and I agreed she shouldn't drive any more so I removed the spark plug wires and put a note inside the engine. She called the mechanic to fix the car and - God bless him - he refused.

When her driver's license came up for renewal, she had to take the written test again. (good Colorado law) I got her the new book but by then she'd had several more little strokes and couldn't read it any more, and understood she couldn't drive without a license. After many more strokes, right before she died, she said, "Now if I can pass that test, I can get my license back and drive." And I said, "Yes Mom, you sure can."
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:51 pm

You're a good daughter. No sense in making her feel diminished if you don't have to. My Mom moved in with us and voluntarily stopped driving. She didn't trust herself so I took her wherever she needed to go. Its funny, she's been gone for ten years and I still catch myself taking pictures of a weird bug or new born foal, beautiful flower whatever... and suddenly realizing I can't run to the house and share it with her.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down