INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Train Station

+2
Mad_Max
hkrause
6 posters

Go down

Train Station Empty Train Station

Post by hkrause Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Have driven past the Chapala Train Station several times, but never went in. What is there to see/do? I understand there are events there sometimes... any website with a schedule? Is there a museum of some sort? Hours?

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Train Station Empty Re: Train Station

Post by Mad_Max Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:36 am

The event information is usually posted on facebook by the secretary of the cultural center - Maria Elena Ramirez Aquilar - and some times they have some real gems there - the sad part is the very small audience

To get on her list - follow her on facebook - I think that is all you need to do to receive her emails
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:06 am

Just saw Victor the Violinist and his father and drummer a week or so ago.  It was a CD release
party. He also asked his girlfriend to marry him.  All kind of stuff there. Acoustics are not bad.
Yes go visit. Art on Wall.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks Mad Max. I've sent a Friend request to her and hope to stay updated that way.

Zed, yes... I wanted to attend that, but wasn't able to. I caught them briefly at Casa de Waffle awhile back and got their card and info on the performance. Saw them again at Bruno's last week, but the performance was cut short when a server hit Victor's arm when he was playing and he stabbed himself in the face (near the eye?) with his bow. Sure hope he's OK!

We'll take a drive over there and see if hours might be posted, or if we happen to get there when it's open. Company coming over the holidays and would like to see if it's worth taking them to see.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:00 pm

[quote="hkrause"]Thanks Mad Max. I've sent a Friend request to her and hope to stay updated that way.

Zed, yes... I wanted to attend that, but wasn't able to. I caught them briefly at Casa de Waffle awhile back and got their card and info on the performance. Saw them again at Bruno's last week, but the performance was cut short when a server hit Victor's arm when he was playing and he stabbed himself in the face (near the eye?) with his bow. Sure hope he's OK!

We'll take a drive over there and see if hours might be posted, or if we happen to get there when it's open. Company coming over the holidays and would like to see if it's worth taking them to see.

Heather
[/quote

Victor and his father were playing better than ever. They even played  Chinese instruments later in the concert. The drummer was
very interesting he has a half Indian (Tabla type) Half western drum set. Never seen him before but he was a good match for Victor and his father.  Victors father is a nice harp player also.  It was so sweet when he asked his girlfriend to marry him. Very touching
even for a guy laugh out loud.  He also has as good CD for sale. Pick one up if you are a Victor Fan.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Will try and catch them someplace so I can check out the CD. Love world music. Would love to actually see a performance by them sometime rather than the two brief glimpses we've seen when they pop into a restaurant for a few minutes.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Train Station Empty Train Station

Post by borderreiver Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:49 am

hkrause,
Was there a phone number on Victor's card ? if so, please share. BTW, the sculptures at the station, make a visit worthwhile. Considering that it is a train station, the acoustics are pretty good. It's a cool place. I think it gets utilized more by our Mexican hosts, and got the feeling, on my visit, that's just the way they like it. In other words, mind your manners and leave your outside voice - outside. It's a gem, and one of my top 5 places Lakeside.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Phillips Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:38 am

The Lake Chapala Shrine Club has set up a permanent outdoor, working model railroad display at the "train station."

A must see for model railroaders.... and everyone else.
Bill Phillips
Bill Phillips
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:19 am

hkrause wrote:Have driven past the Chapala Train Station several times, but never went in. What is there to see/do? I understand there are events there sometimes... any website with a schedule? Is there a museum of some sort? Hours?

Heather
Here is a a sample of a concert seen there:

OLD Train Station
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:50 am

borderreiver wrote:hkrause,
Was there a phone number on Victor's card ? if so, please share. BTW, the sculptures at the station, make a visit worthwhile. Considering that it is a train station, the acoustics are pretty good. It's a cool place. I think it gets utilized more by our Mexican hosts, and got the feeling, on my visit, that's just the way they like it. In other words, mind your manners and leave your outside voice - outside. It's a gem, and one of my top 5 places  Lakeside.
Thanks, all. We did go by yesterday and looked around. Really enjoyed the room with historical info and photos. I think the building itself is the star. The sculptures were very nice. Paintings upstairs looked a bit worn, but were nice. I like their plan for an amphitheater and hope that gets done. As for "outside voice" manners... there was a class going on with screaming kids running around and lots of noise, so I don't think they would have minded our outside voices. Very Happy 

Borderreiver, phone numbers on Victor's card: 331.420.6689, 331.742.0177, 765.4168. Email: trebol_worldmusic@outlook.com. They're also on Facebook... I think it's Trebol Worldmusic.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down