INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently?

+4
Carry Bean
CanuckBob
rafterbr
BisbeeGal
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Empty Re: Food Shopping--What did you find recently?

Post by BisbeeGal Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:04 pm

Probably not new to most, but I only "discovered" last year.

Pepinos Persianas (Persian cukes)....the first time I bought them I thought I was buying mini-zucchinis  Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 1f62e

They are extremely sweet, thin skinned with fewer and smaller seeds than English hothouse.  About 6 inches long.

Bought some today loose at Lopez's on Ajijic Plaza.  The street vendor in front of LCS sometimes has them wedged in a plastic container.  Have seen them at SL, too.    

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Cukes10

BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Empty Re: Food Shopping--What did you find recently?

Post by BisbeeGal Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:32 pm

I did buy something new (to me) yesterday.  Not sure name.

At a stand of mostly sweet empanadas set up outside the Parroquia, was a tray of these.  

Like the thinnest buñuelo I've ever had.  Rectangular shape.  Crumbles like crazy...best to eat over the kitchen sink!

Only 10p each. Wish I had bought more.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Easter12
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

CanuckBob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:46 pm

Bet those would be good with a square cut 1 inch slice of vanilla ice cream between two of them. Yum.
I have been using the Persian cucumbers for Greek Salad. Love the lack of seeds and I have never found them to be bitter either. I originally bought because of the smaller size and keep buying them for the other reasons. Never any wasted.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

BisbeeGal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:34 pm

Yeah, I like those Persian cukes as well. Used to slice them & then top with crab salad for a good little horses ovaries, back in another life when frozen crab was available and semi-affordable.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:04 pm

Hoping for more vendors outside Parroquia today.  Just the veg table and the cheese table...but the latter (who I see at Tianguis) had green chorizo (it was an item featured on first CNN Sunday Series, Searching for Mexico).  I like it but hadn't bought in awhile.  Some people find it sour.  

Also got flan...it's good, plus you get to keep the ceramic bowl.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Greenc10

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Flan10

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Empty_10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrell Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:20 pm

Technically not flan but Jericalla
which is native to Guadalajara. My house employee buys it for me almost weekly on Fridays near the plaza along with some great pan dulce. If you figure out what to do with all the empty dishes, do let me know. I gave a huge pile to the childrens art program for painting.... and the vendors do not want them back. YUMM
There is a long article on authentic food quest.com/jericall-recipe-mexican-dessert/
which does not want to link. Other good stuff on food from Guadalajara.

Marrell
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:19 am

Thanks Marrell!  Very iinteresting.

I use the empties as: Sponge holder next to kitchen sink; and soap holders in bathrooms.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:52 am

Got this seasoning mix at the Pollo Fresca place on the Plaza, haven't tried it yet.  
Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Birria11

I have been buying from this woman for awhile as it's more convenient for me than Puritan.    I needed half a kilo of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (pechuga sin hueso y sin piel).  She takes a whole chicken and skillfully and quickly butchers it.  She opens at 8am, she closes when she sells out.

Also this morning, Lopez's frutería on the Plaza is now re-selling sourdough breads from the Scandinavian bakery.  Love their black olive and thyme loaf.  I bought a loaf of it already sliced, some of the loaves may have been unsliced.  

BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

CanuckBob and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:32 am

Looking for plantains to go with a Jerk Chicken recipe.

Found them at Lopez's....they are called Platanos Machos!  Manly bananas.

fyi, even Lopez is taking credit cards now, with no commission markup.

Last edited by BisbeeGal on Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:46 am

Went into SuperLake yesterday for my once a week fix of oatmeal cookies. I always check the aisles to see if anything is new. Anyway, in the back cooler with the Pillsbury offerings were packages of flat uncooked pastry rings. Right size for a tart or a small empanada. Red package with 12 discs about 4 inches in diameter. Brand name Saboretti and described as "disco de harina". Also, on an end of aisle display found Jello pudding various flavours. I bought the lemon and also chocolate. I see tarts in my future. :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:19 am

Hmmm.......would they be good for Indian samosas?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:59 am

I think they would make excellent Indian samosas or even Jamaican roti. You could even use fruit filling for mini hand pies. At least the size is perfect. I haven't tried them yet so can't vouch for flavour. Also, it would be best to cook them in an electric counter top oven. Pastry (for me) does not brown well in a propane oven. YMMV.

edited to add: Roti is actually a flatbread but I had a Jamaican friend that I worked with and she made pastry patties with a spicy potato and ground beef filling that she called roti. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Last edited by ferret on Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cerebrozo Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:05 am

Has anyone bought bottled horseradish recently -- just plain, pickled horseradish not Horseradish Cream or Horseradish Sause.  I used to see it at the international markets (Super Lake, Pancho's, Cremería) but haven't found any there recently.
cerebrozo
cerebrozo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:10 am

I feel your pain cerebrozo. When I see it, I buy 3. The other stuff has no bite at all. I'll keep an eye out for you.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

cerebrozo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:09 am

This one about 2 months ago at SL.  When they have it, it is often found on an aisle end cap.  I may go later this week and will look for it.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Horser10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and cerebrozo like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:50 am

A few minutes ago at SL.  Only brand that wasn't creamy.  On end cap of condiment aisle with tartar sauce.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Horse210
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret, SunFan and cerebrozo like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:17 pm

Not sure if this line of Indian products is new to SL or just new to me.  There were jars of various items on an end cap of their Asian aisle.

The curry paste is easy to prep, just add a sauteed onion and diced tomatoes (though I used a small carton of tomato puree and a little water). Nice flavor (we like spicy and it was).  I used half the jar of paste prepared mostly as directed, and it was plenty for a whole chicken.

Equally good jar of pickled lime of same brand.

I am lazy so I prepped the sauce, then got a cut-up rotis chicken to drop into it.  

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? - Page 2 Patak10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrell Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:10 pm

SL has carried Patak for quite a few years. I haven't googled it lately but used to buy it years ago when living in Saudi Arabia and at that time it was imported from the UK and developed there. I was happy to see it there several years after moving here as it's handy to have on hand and it's now coming from the U.S.?

Marrell
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2