INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently?

+4
Carry Bean
CanuckBob
rafterbr
BisbeeGal
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Empty Food Shopping--What did you find recently?

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:54 pm

Today at El Torito I saw a weird package of mushrooms.  To be honest, I wasn't sure if it was a delicacy or a mushroom-gone-bad.  

Señor Google says it's a Pink Oyster Mushroom and some food sites say it tastes like bacon when cooked.  

Vamos a ver.

Maybe others can add to this topic when you run across a food product that is interesting, different, or down-right strange?

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Pink_o10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Empty Re: Food Shopping--What did you find recently?

Post by BisbeeGal Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:01 pm

I got 2 frozen cleaned rabbits today from Happy Rabbit Farms; they sell on carretera from 11-12 on Fridays. They park on west-bound side (lake side) of carretera opposite Johanna's German Restaurant. They also sell duck products from their farm.

BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Empty Re: Food Shopping--What did you find recently?

Post by rafterbr Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:36 pm

BisbeeGal wrote:I got 2 frozen cleaned rabbits today from Happy Rabbit Farms; they sell on carretera from 11-12 on Fridays.  They park on west-bound side (lake side) of carretera opposite Johanna's German Restaurant.  They also sell duck products from their farm.  

What was the cost on the rabbits? gracias

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:47 pm

Came to 620p for a total of 2.65 kilos.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

rafterbr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:05 pm

BisbeeGal, watch out.....those mushrooms will give you tooth mold........lol.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

kiko likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rafterbr Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:56 pm

BisbeeGal wrote:Came to 620p for a total of 2.65 kilos.  

Gracias, there is a man near me in Oklahoma who sells cleaned and cut up rabbit's for $20 (400P) each. I enjoy frying a rabbit and making gravy from the leavings. An excellent redneck meal with buttermilk biscuits.

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:25 am

These rabbits were cleaned and cut into 8 pieces; cost about 300p per rabbit. One was 1.4 kilo, the other 1.25 kilo.

You can contact the Happy Rabbit Farms on Facebook or via Whatsapp and reserve what you want to pick up on Fridays. The owner is very responsive.

I will braise the rabbit with prunes for Thanksgiving.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:52 pm

Went to The Root Side at Laguna Mall today for the first time.

I needed Juniper Berries and they had them. Lots of nuts, grains, flours, dried herbs, etc.    

I normally shop at El Granero for herbs and other items in bulk, but they didn't have Juniper Berries.  

If you're at Laguna Mall it's worth a stop.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:36 pm

Making Gin?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:51 pm

Never been there. Will check it out.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:54 pm

Canuck Bob wrote:Making Gin?

I have to get the rabbit drunk before I throw it in the pot.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Eed10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

CanuckBob and SunshineyDay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:41 pm

Today was my first time at Panchos in a year or more.  I scored burrata cheese which was my goal.  

Walking around I saw these shelves.  Trader Joe's José's in Chapala!  

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Tjs10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

CanuckBob, Carry Bean, SunFan and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:53 pm

Bought this a few weeks ago at Lilifer Deli on Colon.  It's wonderful as part of a cold plate with Bob's Smoked Salmon, or prosciutto or a good ham from Lilifer.  

Also have poured it over pasta with a good parm, basil and toasted pine nuts to finish.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Confit11

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Confit12
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

CanuckBob and Carry Bean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:16 pm

Needed real sour cream for a recipe (couldn't substitute crema).  

Found this at Pancho's West.  

Will also be handy to squirt on a taco or quesadilla!

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Sour_c10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:29 pm

Yeah, saw that yesterday too. I hope he continues to carry it. He also has parchment paper.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

BisbeeGal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:10 pm

I wanted short ribs; decided to try the Ajijic plaza carnicería.  

They weren't really short ribs???  Though admit I am unsure (haven't bought since in US several years ago, where they are labelled).  He showed me big hug rack of beef ribs, uncut.  I asked for the lower half of rib (shorter ribs), then asked him to split and cut, which he happily did.  Great price, only 80p for what made 2+ hefty servings.  

Meaty and full of flavor.  I made in Instant Pot with a ton of carrots and onions.  

This is butcher shop famous for its lineup of well-behaved canines who await some bones to gnaw on.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Short_10Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Butche10Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Butche11

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:16 pm

Any other Canadians out there who remember Cadbury Chocolate Fingers? I bought some today at Pancho's western location. Couldn't believe it when I saw the boxes on the shelf because it must be 50 years since I've had them.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

CanuckBob and Irish Gal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:49 pm

ferret wrote:Any other Canadians out there who remember Cadbury Chocolate Fingers? I bought some today at Pancho's western location. Couldn't believe it when I saw the boxes on the shelf because it must be 50 years since I've had them.

I bought those Cadbury fingers Friday. Also the Pepperidge Farm thin and crispy chocolate chip cookies. I also discovered Oregon Chai tea latte that comes in a carton to heat up with milk. I went back and bought the remaining 3 so the Riberas store is out of it.

I love short ribs so I’m jealous.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:16 pm

Never could stand Cadbury's chocolate. Always has a sour flavor to me.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:30 am

These caught my eye at Super Lakes.  Imported from Spain.  Made from semolina.  20 small sheets.  Cooks in 6 minutes. Just something fun to experiment with different fillings.  Only 28p.  

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Canelo10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:34 am

This Mexican olive oil is from Tamaulipas.  It is really good, have used it for years.  

AMZN MX used to sell it, but not lately.  I **think** I saw one of their 3 varieties locally once years ago.

My last bottle from AMZN cost 180p for 500ml.  

I found this 3 pack at Costco.mx, one of each variety in 500ml bottles for 299 + 50 delivery, total 349p or 116p per bottle.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Oliva10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:47 am

I bought a bottle of the Arbequina when this Mexican brand of Olive Oil was first discussed a couple of years ago. I went back to the 500 ml Carbonell Special Selection Extra Virgen Olive Oil from Spain. I simply like the flavour better. I still have the Arbequina if anyone wants it.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:06 am

Pine nuts at El Granero.  The piñons here are smaller and turn a bit pink when toasted.  Stronger in flavor than those I am used to from Trader Joes in US. A little of these go a long way.

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Pizon10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:04 pm

I went back for my 2nd purchase of cotton candy at Pancho’s. I’m obviously in my 2nd or 3rd childhood. 😬. Also stocked up on Sambal Oelek which I’ve been hooked on since the ‘80’s.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

BisbeeGal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:04 pm

Probably not new to most, but I only "discovered" last year.

Pepinos Persianas (Persian cukes)....the first time I bought them I thought I was buying mini-zucchinis  Food Shopping--What did you find recently? 1f62e

They are extremely sweet, thin skinned with fewer and smaller seeds than English hothouse.  About 6 inches long.

Bought some today loose at Lopez's on Ajijic Plaza.  The street vendor in front of LCS sometimes has them wedged in a plastic container.  Have seen them at SL, too.    

Food Shopping--What did you find recently? Cukes10
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next