INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying printer locally... or? Best Buy

4 posters

Go down

Buying printer locally... or? Best Buy Empty Buying printer locally... or? Best Buy

Post by FeelinGroovy83 Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Greetings fellow travelers,

I have a Mexican family that I help. They have two teenagers. I've given them a good laptop and now they need a printer for the kids' school work - like this week.

I took the 18-yr old son to Walmart like a month ago... the display was such a mess and nothing looked like decent quality, but I could be wrong about that. There were, I think, plastic HP printers, etc. Then I did some research on CNET to find a good quality printer under ~$150 USD. There were so many options and reviews, etc I just got overwhelmed and then I forgot about it. (old lady brain)

So, can anyone recommend what to buy, where to buy it? I need to get this accomplished for them this week. I'm able to spend ~150 USD...

For example, is the 500 pesos HP printer at Walmart OK? Is there another place at Lakeside where I can buy a printer that's better? Or, should I shop online at BestBuy? I've only bought one printer more than 15 years ago.

I am asking y'all because I currently have a lot of physical pain, and my brain is not in great shape either. Not asking for professional advice, just, if you have some experience and can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it

Thank you so much.

Abrazos virtuales y besos mis amigos

Libby
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

Back to top Go down

Buying printer locally... or? Best Buy Empty Re: Buying printer locally... or? Best Buy

Post by Carry Bean Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 pm

I bought a HP printer almost 9 years ago from Walmart that I’m still using. I get the cartridges from Costco BUT you might want to get one that they can refill the cartridges which is cheaper. My HP won’t accept refills.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Buying printer locally... or? Best Buy Empty Re: Buying printer locally... or? Best Buy

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:12 pm

Lib, check Soriana. Back when I used printers and played the ink game I bought stuff there and had no problems.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Kids may enjoy printing stuff that they really don't need. If so, they will need ink cartridges quite often, and they cost nearly as much as the printer's original price.
I would suggest that you hesitate on buying the printer, but instead, purchase a thumb drive for each kid. They can put files to be printed on their own drive, take it to a 'cyber-cafe' & pay a few pesos for the file to be printed. That will discourage wasteful printing 'just for fun'.
It will be up to you to judge the maturity of the kids, before making the choice between a printer or thumb drive. Let practicality be the rule.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Totally agree, RV. They are so expensive and clog and and and . . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by FeelinGroovy83 Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:52 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:Kids may enjoy printing stuff that they really don't need. If so, they will need ink cartridges quite often, and they cost nearly as much as the printer's original price.
I would suggest that you hesitate on buying the printer, but instead, purchase a thumb drive for each kid. They can put files to be printed on their own drive, take it to a 'cyber-cafe' & pay a few pesos for the file to be printed.  That will discourage wasteful printing 'just for fun'.
It will be up to you to judge the maturity of the kids, before making the choice between a printer or thumb drive. Let practicality be the rule.

Well, these are poor, working class people, not American kids.They're very well-behaved and respectful and are both at or near the top of their respective classes. I hear what you're saying, though. It just doesn't apply in this situation... and...

The child has to be in class at 7:00AM, the cyber cafe between their home out in the boonies and her school, used to open at 6AM, but now opens at 7. They really do need a printer. But that was a great idea.
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by FeelinGroovy83 Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:58 pm

Carry Bean wrote:I bought a HP printer almost 9 years ago from Walmart that I’m still using.  I get the cartridges from Costco BUT you might want to get one that they can refill the cartridges which is cheaper.  My HP won’t accept refills.

Thanks for the tip. I should have mentioned that I want a Laser with only black ink. For text, it's considered by the "experts" to be more reliable and clean. Yes, refills are referred.

So many details to consider! ack!
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by FeelinGroovy83 Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Lib, check Soriana. Back when I used printers and played the ink game I bought stuff there and had no problems.

Thanks, I'll check it out.. never occurred to me...duh.
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by FeelinGroovy83 Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:08 pm

Carry Bean wrote:I bought a HP printer almost 9 years ago from Walmart that I’m still using.  I get the cartridges from Costco BUT you might want to get one that they can refill the cartridges which is cheaper.  My HP won’t accept refills.

Right-o. I want to make it easy for them and economical for me. If I can avoid going to Guad, all the better!

Thanks.
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by FeelinGroovy83 Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:19 pm

Thank you, all. Very good tips and reminders. I shall proceed first to Soriana.

Libby
;~)
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by FeelinGroovy83 Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Funny story... I no longer remember what distracted me... then I totally forgot about it... b/c I'm helping them add on a room and get the roof on before the rainy season starts, which, as you all know, is typically ~the 8th - 13th of June. But, last year and this year, the hot/dry season has begun earlier and earlier. I'm saying the rain might not start until July 15, or it could start next week... yada yada yada... If you'd like to discuss the climate, "meet me at Camera 3," aka The Mirador.

So, anyway, they found one at "garage sale" where nearly everything was ~two months old (guess somebody didn't do their research before arriving!), and it is exacty what they want/need, etc... and (drumroll please) it only cost me 500 pesos!!!!! I don't recall all the details but I think it's an HP laser printer with all the colors -\_O_/- and they rec'd a bunch of additional cartridges, etc... I may have to buy some expensive cartidges one day, but it won't be soon. Estoy muy feliz!

I love Mexico.
FeelinGroovy83
FeelinGroovy83
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down