INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State police arrest 10 in Chapala; Cartels retaliate

+9
Lehrer
cane
kiva
martygraw
Carry Bean
simpsca
Mainecoons
CanuckBob
Demonio
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

State police arrest 10 in Chapala; Cartels retaliate - Page 2 Empty Re: State police arrest 10 in Chapala; Cartels retaliate

Post by 57Chevy Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:42 pm

what was the retaliation by the cartel after the arrests? Does anyone have a link to a news story?

57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

State police arrest 10 in Chapala; Cartels retaliate - Page 2 Empty Re: State police arrest 10 in Chapala; Cartels retaliate

Post by 57Chevy Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Just read some of the newspapers in the Guad area. One article said that the same gang that threw a grenade at the house of Senor Contreras Munos, Director of Security for Chapala, and from which 10 members were arrested, called "la Resistencia", as also responsible for not just the blockade with burning vehicles on the highway, but also at the nightclub "Vida Divina". At 5:00am Sunday, the band wanted to quit playing. They were asked to continue. When they refused, members of this gang threw grenades in the nightclub, causing only property damage. They then waited outside the nightclub for the band to leave, and then murdered two members of the musical band - the owner of the band and the driver or roadie. A woman bystander was hit by a flying bullet in the ankle. There was violence this same night in Zapopan and Tlaquepaque, possibly by members of the same group.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 am

The perp walk.
http://televisagdl.tv/01928374652-6437.shtml
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Thank you Esperitu for this great link to Televisa GDL. In the security meeting that took place the other evening, the Director Senor Contreras Munoz said the police department needs to raise money to purchase more police vehices, like 10 more, and needs more officers. Is there a group organized right now that is working to raise funds for the policia?
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Not that I know of. Maybe some else might.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by lakesidecrime Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:35 pm

57Chevy wrote:Thank you Esperitu for this great link to Televisa GDL. In the security meeting that took place the other evening, the Director Senor Contreras Munoz said the police department needs to raise money to purchase more police vehices, like 10 more, and needs more officers. Is there a group organized right now that is working to raise funds for the policia?

Actually, the Director didn't exactly say that. When talking about staffing and equipment, this is what was said:

• The Director spoke about his staff - 115 officers to cover an area from San Nichols to West Ajijic; along with 15 vehicles. When asked what he would like, he replied a minimum of 180 officers and 25 vehicles (at a cost of $30-35k each)

The suggestion to purchase vehicles was made by someone in the audience on Monday. I got the idea that the person was serious in proposing this - but don't know the person's name. Maybe someone else does.

After that suggestion, someone commented that this - or this attempt had been made before - but i didn't catch the details. Again - maybe someone else knows the history.

-------------------

There was an expat liaison group working with the police - the group has almost faded away - but not quite. That person will talk to the director next week with ideas on revitalizing the group - and i assured that person that others in the community would be interested in helping. So stay tuned for status on that one - I will provide an update if/when i am updated.

Last edited by lakesidecrime on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

lakesidecrime

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Thank you! I would definitely be interested in becoming invovled in a liaison group, and any fund raising effort that could be made. I heard there was a group a while back that raised funds for some vehicles. Anyways, I'll wait to hear from you as you gather more info, and hope to connect with other individuals. Maybe a catered party (I know a caterer in Ajijic)...or something where folks could donate and guests could pay to get in, etc.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 am

The never ending debate over the relative danger to foreign nationals in should be categorized as follows; 1) Full Time Residents, 2) Seasonal Residents that are property owners and 3) Seasonal Visitors or potential seasonal visitors with no physical ties. The perspectives of these three groups are so different that cross category debate is futile. Full Time Residents are typically older folks who in most cases had made their decision to reside full time long before the current drug violence erupted. In most cases they have adopted this live style for many years, committed to real estate purchases and this is their home, be it ever so humble. Their love of the lake area and financial commitment to same, makes a cut and run philosophy totally unconscionable, hence their much higher tolerance for the current risk of violence. The Seasonal Residents, by virtue of their requirement to have second residences back home, seasonally have the option to return or not return dependent on factors such as health considerations or perceived danger due to violence. They also love the lake and are invested in real estate, but if they are healthy enough, their decision to venture here or stay home for the season is dictated by their currrent appetite for risk. The final group, Seasonal visitors with no physical ties are the most outspoken group. This group in theory can within financial reason choose to visit anywhere and therefore they are highly sensitive to violence and personal risk. The risk/danger is what it is, however the appetite or tolerance for this risk/danger is very different for good reason and this is the real bone of contention.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:21 am

I think all discussion is useful, no matter the status of a person. If you love lakeside you just care about regardless how many months you live there or if you own a home. Being invested in a place can be for many reasons other than real estate.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiva Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Bimini, very well stated. Your perspective regarding risk seems valid. Depending on which group one belongs to will definitely bias their view on the state of violence Lakeside. I, for one, am very interested in moving Lakeside, but the recent uptick in violent crime has me a little skittish. Some will say, well just stay home, and that is an option. My personal take is that this could just be a one-off and I will delay any plans by a couple months and see how things go. Thanks for sharing your well thought out perspective.
kiva
kiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:43 pm

I agree. However, nobody can make decisions for others but we can only state our perspective and we're here all the time. I'm not afraid at all but maybe there are some others cowering in their houses - I don't know.

Sometimes, I get the impression some people think we're lying because we're afraid housing prices will go down. I don't care really if they do since I expect to be here until I'm inhabiting a 6' deep plot.

I sure wouldn't argue with anyone who is scared to make the move. Nobody sent for me & I doubt anyone is sending for them, either. Mexico isn't going anywhere so delay & see what happens if that makes you or anyone else more comfortable.

I've never been run out of anywhere even when I had good reason to be fearful due to crime but that's just me. If anything, it gets my back up and makes me defiant and I'm totally on my own. It's gets really tiresome to have the bad guys always winning.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:22 pm

xxx
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2