INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many under 55?

+21
Rob and Wendy
Luisa
lobita
CheenaGringo
Smartalex
SnowDaddy
papa chango
juanrey
briantroy
pennyjean1
quiltbugj
Spot
slainte39
Rosa Venus
Pedro
Lady Otter Latté
Grizzy
Hensley
CanuckBob
David
drhook
25 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Many under 55? - Page 3 Empty Re: Many under 55?

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:52 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Kind of amazing how defensive people get when they view a very general statement as being critical of them personally!  Please take note that I didn't use words like "all", "every" or "most" but now that I think about it, I would guess that something above 50% fit my description?  Besides, my statement was nothing more than my opinion and I believe the OP was looking for varied opinions?
That's how "general" statements are often viewed. Next time try saying "that some people"  or "there are some"........

Since I live here and have some first hand knowledge I would clarify the statement by saying "some people choose to live within a gated community and rarely venture outside the walls" which tends to be where these types of "adventurers" live. I find most people living outside of these gated complexes, and in and amongst the Mexicans, tend to get out and about all the time. As far as being "watered down" I think you would find the same to be true for any Mexican "destination" town that caters to tourists (both the gringo's and Mexican's).

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 am

CB:

OK, I stand corrected on my choice of wording! Now as long as we are at it, How about this quote of a post of yours: "Or who never venture to the lake anymore at all"? I believe my memory hasn't failed me on this one - most recent trip to Mexico was last Feb and I seem to remember having lunch with yourself at the Lake? Touche!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Gee, it was just a general statement Cheena.........why take it personally......????
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:48 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Gee, it was just a general statement Cheena.........why take it personally......????
jaja! SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by briantroy Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:16 pm

I appreciate everyone's opinion. That's why I am here and why I am asking. Thanks for everyone's input, more is always welcome.
briantroy
briantroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 pm

briantroy wrote:I appreciate everyone's opinion. That's why I am here and why I am asking. Thanks for everyone's input, more is always welcome.
some peoples opinions aren't worth the toilet paper they are written on
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 pm

So great Guru of Chapala - could you please explain how villages along the north shore of Lake Chapala compare with San Miguel de Allende as raised by the OP? Any opinions you have would naturally be have been formulated by spending time in both locations!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:57 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:So great Guru of Chapala - could you please explain how villages along the north shore of Lake Chapala compare with San Miguel de Allende as raised by the OP?  Any opinions you have would naturally be have been formulated by spending time in both locations!
never spent any time in sma as you have not spent any time in lerdo which i have
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Actually, Cheena, the OP was about Lakeside: “I guess I was just wondering if there are there many others under 55 living there?” It made no reference to comparing and contrasting this area with SMA or any other part of Mexico. Briantroy did not show up until page 3. He never asked for the opinion of only those who have been to both SMA and Lakeside. Pay attention.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by briantroy Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Did I create a stir? I was only asking for a comparison so I could get a better feel for the area. Didn't mean to start trouble!

This afternoon I was talking with my Dad about my desire to visit/possibly live part-time down there. I figured I would have to explain the location and other details, but he knew exactly where and what I was talking about the second "Lake Chapala" came out of my mouth. Apparently one of his co-workers lives in the area and works from home; she only flies back a few times a year when and only when absolutely needed. I guess he has started looking into the area as well because he started telling me all kinds of things about the area. The conversation turned to traveling in Mexico as my mother really wants to see Oaxaca, and we touched on the idea of how some people love to get out and adventure and others simply choose not to leave their enclaves. My grandfather, for instance, will not leave his community in Orange County unless absolutely needed. He simply has no desire. He has never traveled anywhere and my grandmother, when she was alive, would travel without him. I don't think he is afraid or anything, he is just a total homebody and nobody expects him to show up on family cruises or vacations.

To assume that others do not leave their compounds because of some fear or unwillingness to be involved with the local culture, would probably be a mistake. And, even though a broad statement like that can also convey a truth, it's also hard to tell unless you know the individual on a very personal level.

If people want to live behind gates, let them. It's no skin off my nose. It doesn't matter if they chose to do that because they are private homebodies or because they are afraid of the community; I don't give a shit either way because I would be the last person they would want to invite into their caged community. I appreciate knowing that there may possibly be that element involved, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not here to cause a fight, I am here to learn about the Lake Chapala community. Frank discussions, without suppression of thought (so long as it isn't too offensive) is often times the best way of getting at the raw knowledge.
briantroy
briantroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:33 pm

We´re not fighting, Brian, we always talk to each other this way. But, we really do like each other--well, most of us, most of the time.
You have a great outlook and will have a great time here--whether you just spend some time on a visit or end up living here for a while. I suspect you have a good time wherever you go.
I understand what you mean about your Dad. My son-in-law is a homebody. He loves his home and spending time there. He just has no desire to travel. My daughter makes lots of trips alone or with friends or family members and they are both happy.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by briantroy Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks for clearing that up, Otter. I was getting worried for a second. I take it you have all met in person and possibly hang out on occasion? I'm not used to that. It is rare that people on forums I visit actually live in the same city or state, so when flaring out starts I usually leave. I need to remind myself that this is a forum based on a community. For example: I recently bought a Zodiac boat so I am on a couple forums getting advise from people in San Francisco, Idaho, Maine, the UK and Australia. If this kind of flaring occurred on those forums, it would be like belching at a board meeting; inappropriate, uncalled for and reason for ejection.
Actually it is my Grandfather that is a homebody. The rest of the family, save one aunt who must have gotten Gramp's homebody gene, are total adventurers. One mention to the folks of my visit today and now my Mom is Gung-Ho about coming with me. Gonna have to think that over....
briantroy
briantroy

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:55 am

Yes, we have regular lunch events and the occasional "board meeting". In most cases people are not anything like their "forum persona". In a couple of cases they are exactly the same.....jaja.

There are also a few "trolls" on here who only post things to criticize and to stir up trouble. For the most part we play along and have some fun with it. If it really gets out of hand we delete their crap and give them the punt. Funny thing is that a majority of those types don't even live in the area.

We try to censor as little as possible on this forum which differentiates us from all the other forums in the area. With little censorship you have to take the good with the bad......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lobita Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:26 am

We've only been here a month, and have not met enough people yet to begin to guess percentages by age ... but as a datapoint, I am 43 and my partner just turned 49. I haven't met any expats here under 40, but several in their 40s and early 50s.
lobita
lobita
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:46 am

We probably look like those Americans who never go anywhere. We spent much of our lives travelling and living internationally for work; mainly in Asia Pacific but also in South America and Europe, and are now happy to stay home in our Mexican neighborhood. Our preference is to only travel within Mexico, and try to take a 2-4 week driving trip every year or two, but this year we ended up in Tanzania instead. We go to Guadalajara on average twice a month, and sometimes more often. We go to San Miguel, Puerto Vallarta, Sayulita, Mexico City and Guanajuato every year, but consider them to be local trips, and otherwise we like to stay home. We do not live in a gated community and we would never consider a gated community.

We do know many people who travel internationally extensively in their retirement. They tend to be people who stayed at home during their work life.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:31 am

It looks like you get around plenty to me. I think that point was more geared towards the ex-pats that hole up in their gated communities and only leave it to do some very localized shopping or have a meal at a local restaurant. Typically only during the daylight hours. The ones I know about are generally afraid of Mexico and are here solely for the monetary and climate advantages. They have no interest in the Mexicans or the culture at all. In fact some of them have talked about being here for many years without learning one word of Spanish.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob and Wendy Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:14 am

We just moved here FOR the culture. We are both in our early fifties. Loving every minute of it.

Rob and Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:30 am

Welcome and enjoy.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by eagles100 Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:45 am

We're both under 55 and living here on a permanent basis.
I'm mid-fourties and hubby is early 50's.
We're enjoying our first Christmas without snow storms, ice, sleet, slippery roads, cold weather, flight delays, blustery wind, etc.
eagles100
eagles100
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob and Wendy Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:04 am

Isn't that the truth. I am enjoying the slower pace. Especially at Christmas time.

Rob and Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:11 am

good grief! downtown chapala was like a zoo yesterday.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:20 am

Rob and Wendy wrote:Isn't that the truth. I am enjoying the slower pace. Especially at Christmas time.

Too many years of living here and being too old has ruined my perspective.....I think the "pace" is frantic and hectic    lol! ....bumper to bumper traffic....Walmart open to midnite....Santa Claus on a flatbed truck....but what the heck....it only happens once year.
¡Me perdonen, nietas!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 am

You have been here too long. You have no idea what frantic is at Christmas NOB. Insane. This is nothing.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:59 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:You have been here too long. You have no idea what frantic is at Christmas NOB. Insane. This is nothing.

Well, at least you didn't say....."you've lived too long".     lol! 

Merry Christmas, Lady.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Merry Christmas, Slainte! Enjoy the holiday celebrations and best wishes for a wonderful new year.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ShanConshue Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:39 am

We are 40 and 45, work remotely and are raising our family here. We have been here since summer and its my experience that the younger people are just not as visible as the elders... Often we are not retired, but are working.. making dollars and spending pesos :)
I suggest you network thru social media as most of us work online and have a strong (comparatively) internet presence.
ShanConshue
ShanConshue

Humor : Sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum