INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many under 55?

+21
Rob and Wendy
Luisa
lobita
CheenaGringo
Smartalex
SnowDaddy
papa chango
juanrey
briantroy
pennyjean1
quiltbugj
Spot
slainte39
Rosa Venus
Pedro
Lady Otter Latté
Grizzy
Hensley
CanuckBob
David
drhook
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Many under 55? - Page 2 Empty Re: Many under 55?

Post by CanuckBob Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks for providing me with an example.........LOL.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:I don´t know, Pedro. You look a lot happier than those girls do.  Very Happy 
you have to understand the goth culture-they work very hard trying to look unhappy no matter how ecstatic they really are.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Oh. Well. They are doing a very good job then. Carry on!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Spot Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 am

Moved here at 54 but now I am an old 60.

Spot
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 am

We purchased already and will move down permanently at ages 53 and 56 - ten years earlier than we could if we stayed NOB!
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:29 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:David and Grizzy:
“You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt.
Oh I never gave a rat's patootie what tney thought. It was when they started in with the pointed questions that I realized i must be sharing a hideout with america's most wanted LOL.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 am

We also seem to attract more than our fair share of people who are America´s Most Unwanted. Hey, they have to live some place.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pennyjean1 Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 pm

I just joined this and am in the process of trying to move down there. I am single (and intend to stay that way) and hope there are single women (not for a relationship) to hang out with. Never entered my mind that people would care about my age.

pennyjean1

Humor : humorous

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:14 pm

pennyjean1 wrote:I just joined this and am in the process of trying to move down there.  I am single (and intend to stay that way) and hope there are single women (not for a relationship) to hang out with.  Never entered my mind that people would care about my age.
most REAL people don't.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:08 pm

I have friends younger than my kids and others old enough to be my mother. There are many single people here who are more than happy to be that way. They hang out with other single people, married couples, gay people, straight people and those who are not too sure what they are. You will find people whose company you enjoy and with whom you have things in common. No worries.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by briantroy Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Hey guys. I've been lurking around for awhile, gathering info on your community, and I must admit I am intrigued. This particular post caught my attention because I have been looking at different options regarding my living situation/lifestyle and I am definitely looking for a change. I'm in my mid-40's and work as a respiratory therapist in Southern California. Half my check goes to my mortgage and most of the rest for living expenses; I have decided there just has to be a better way of living life.
After looking around, I found an interesting position with a large medical facility in Arizona that offers seasonal work with free housing included. My idea would be to work a 26 week assignment (roughly mid-October through mid-April) when the snowbirds are in town, and then spend the spring and summer in a nice community where I could live reasonably without dipping into my retirement. And, I haven't found anyplace that looks better than your community.
It looks to me like a single guy could live a decent life for $1500 - $2000 a month and have plenty of things to do. But, my major concern is finding people near my own age to spend time with. I guess I would just have to come down to see for myself, but it would be nice to have some reassurance before spending the time and cash on a scouting expedition that proves fruitless.
briantroy
briantroy

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 am

Some young are here (in 40's & 50's) but they are scattered around and you'll have to find them. Which is doable.
Then you'll have to determine if you want to hang with them.
As to reassurance, only a trip will tell.
But you can definitely have a decent life and enjoy yourself on the $'s you quoted.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:52 am

Have you ever considered making friends with a Mexican? There are many down here that are younger and in my opinion they're the best friends to have when you're in Mexico.

flag waver
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by drhook Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:08 am

briantroy wrote: Hey guys. I've been lurking around for awhile, gathering info on your community, and I must admit I am intrigued. This particular post caught my attention because I have been looking at different options regarding my living situation/lifestyle and I am definitely looking for a change. I'm in my mid-40's and work as a respiratory therapist in Southern California. Half my check goes to my mortgage and most of the rest for living expenses; I have decided there just has to be a better way of living life.
 After looking around, I found an interesting position with a large medical facility in Arizona that offers seasonal work with free housing included. My idea would be to work a 26 week assignment (roughly mid-October through mid-April) when the snowbirds are in town, and then spend the spring and summer in a nice community where I could live reasonably without dipping into my retirement. And, I haven't found anyplace that looks better than your community.
 It looks to me like a single guy could live a decent life for $1500 - $2000 a month and have plenty of things to do. But, my major concern is finding people near my own age to spend time with. I guess I would just have to come down to see for myself, but it would be nice to have some reassurance before spending the time and cash on a scouting expedition that proves fruitless.      
Hi, and welcome.
I am the guy who started this thread. Things have wandered off topic quite a bit but that's not surprising.
I am here for 5 months checking thing out. My initial numbers are showing what I expected. $1200 a month including rent ($400) is quite doable. And I was going out for 1 meal a day. You can always pay more for everything if you wish but most people are reciting the same numbers as you. $1500-2000 you can live like a king. All depends on your lifestyle.
I am trying to meet people my age (and I am sure there are some here) but so far most people I am with are in their 60's and 70's, which I knew and expected but that was why I started the thread.
There is lots to do here. Litterally anything you want to do is available. One guy in my complex even shoots his compound bow somewhere around here. Apparently there is a range near here.
You would be coming here in the rainy season months. I have not been through one yet so I am not sure what it is like but most don't seem to mind it as it still rains mostly at night or evenings.
We will see how the next months go. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or post them online. I don't know too much about here yet and can only give you my personal experience and opinions.
Bottom line is you will have to come down and experience it for yourself at some point.

drhook

Humor : Dry, sarcastic and jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by SnowDaddy Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:36 am

Ditto!!!!
SnowDaddy
SnowDaddy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by briantroy Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks Guys! And yes, Papa Chango, I would consider having Mexican friends. Mexicans don't bother me too much; considering my father is from Ciudad Juarez and he only bugs me a little. (Just kidding you). But, seriously, do you find there to be a decent sized community of locals in the 30-40ish age group? For some reason I imagine mostly young people working the bars/restaurants that cater to the retired ex-pats while the people my age are either raising families or living the single city life in Guadalajara.
Anyway, having a Mexican father and an Irish mother from Kentucky has allowed me a deep understanding of two distinct cultures; and I embrace them both. I would love to do this half-retirement thing in Baja, where I can stay close to family, but I lived a summer in the TJ/Rosarito area and it is not what I am looking for. I found it very, very entertaining, but it is really just Southern California extending into the Mexican version of Las Vegas. I am looking for something slower and more "traditional" Mexican while still being able to grab some Thai food and catch a Padres or Chargers game on TV.
I have traveled throughout Mexico and lived for 3 months in San Miguel de Allende. I have heard the Lake Chapala area being compared to San Miguel and that is why I mention it. Don’t get me wrong, I liked San Miguel and really loved the whole artsy scene, but I felt it was overpriced and a little watered down in regards to Mexican culture; as if it had been overrun by an influx of various artists from around the world. I left feeling the same way I feel about San Francisco: It’s a great place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there. Funny thing too is that they share the same 415 area code. Any opinions on how the two cities compare?
The Lake Chapala area seems like a good balance to me. I don’t mind a Wal-Mart nearby, so long as traditional processions and fiestas erupt on the street. I visit TJ at least once a month (I have a SENTRI pass) and as soon as I cross the border I feel more liberated and the tension seems to lift. That’s the part of Mexico that I really enjoy. We are always taught that American’s live in the land of the free, but I had a friend from Puerto Vallarta (a true Pata Salada) who had never been here before come visit me a few years ago. After a couple days she asked me “Why here are so many signs telling what to do and what is prohibited? Why so many rules?”
I get that feeling too sometimes. I like fewer prohibitos. I guess it depends on how you define “free”.
I am planning a visit soon and would really like it to include a local celebration of some kind. Airfare is double for New Years so it would have to be after that. Is the March holiday for Benito Juarez anything big? Any local fiesta in the spring would be great. Any suggestions/advice is appreciated. Thanks for your help guys.
briantroy
briantroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Brian,
Benito Juarez doesn't get a whole lot of respect around here. The banks close for one day...and Mexicans and expats alike ask each other why they are closed. Come to Chapala during Carnaval. I think the dates are Feb 26 to Mar 4.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by briantroy Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Cool. I thought about that. I wasn't sure because it isn't a real big deal up in Northern Baja. It really is barely noticed up here. Cinco de Mayo, however, is HUGE! I know that isn't a real big deal in the rest of Mexico, but it draws in the Americanos who think it is Mexican Independence Day. Half of San Diego and TJ are drunk. Thanks, Smartalex!
briantroy
briantroy

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Brian:

If you thought that San Miguel de Allende was "a bit watered down in Mexican culture", then you are in for a real surprise when you visit the north shore of Lake Chapala! Be prepared to be amazed by the numbers of people who never venture out from the Lake and I would be willing to bet that the greater Guadalajara area will be more what you may be looking for?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by briantroy Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Interesting, Cheena. I am definitely coming down this spring for Carnaval so I will get to see that for myself. I did like San Miguel, don't get me wrong, I was just looking for something more "Mexican" when I was studying abroad. I would never live there because I remember it being very expensive for Mexican standards. As for living in a "watered down Mexican culture", that is something I will have to think about after I visit. Checking out the greater Guadalajara area is a great suggestion. I have a couple friends that lived in GDL as kids; I will get in touch with them and see if they can't kick me in the right direction. Maybe I could spend a summer using Chapala as a base and survey the area from there? Thanks for your help/suggestions!
briantroy
briantroy

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Or who never venture to the lake anymore at all.............jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:51 pm

I live in a Mexican barrio in Chapala. Nothing watered down about the culture here. In fact, most of Chapala is still Mexico for Mexicans and gringos fit in. Since you mention wanting "something slower and more "traditional" Mexican while still being able to grab some Thai food and catch a Padres or Chargers game on TV" I think this may be what you are looking for. Cheena judges people by how much they travel around Mexico never considering that some of them are living Mexican style among Mexicans and simply can not afford to travel just like their Mexican neighbors can not.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:I live in a Mexican barrio in Chapala. Nothing watered down about the culture here. In fact, most of Chapala is still Mexico for Mexicans and gringos fit in. Since you mention wanting "something slower and more "traditional" Mexican while still being able to grab some Thai food and catch a Padres or Chargers game on TV" I think this may be what you are looking for. Cheena judges people by how much they travel around Mexico never considering that some of them are living Mexican style among Mexicans and simply can not afford to travel just like their Mexican neighbors can not.
or simply don't have the URGENT NEED to, because that suits their purposes.-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:46 am

Kind of amazing how defensive people get when they view a very general statement as being critical of them personally! Please take note that I didn't use words like "all", "every" or "most" but now that I think about it, I would guess that something above 50% fit my description? Besides, my statement was nothing more than my opinion and I believe the OP was looking for varied opinions?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:58 am

Cheena, I found your statement pretty all incompassing of the entire North shore of Lake Chapala. And, it is my opinion that your response sounded snooty and judgmental as it often does when you comment about people who live Lakeside rather than pass through it now and then on their travels.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:52 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Kind of amazing how defensive people get when they view a very general statement as being critical of them personally!  Please take note that I didn't use words like "all", "every" or "most" but now that I think about it, I would guess that something above 50% fit my description?  Besides, my statement was nothing more than my opinion and I believe the OP was looking for varied opinions?
That's how "general" statements are often viewed. Next time try saying "that some people"  or "there are some"........

Since I live here and have some first hand knowledge I would clarify the statement by saying "some people choose to live within a gated community and rarely venture outside the walls" which tends to be where these types of "adventurers" live. I find most people living outside of these gated complexes, and in and amongst the Mexicans, tend to get out and about all the time. As far as being "watered down" I think you would find the same to be true for any Mexican "destination" town that caters to tourists (both the gringo's and Mexican's).
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum