INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Say Tomato, Some Say TomAto, Some Tomate, Some Jitomate

5 posters

Go down

Some Say Tomato, Some Say TomAto, Some Tomate, Some Jitomate Empty Some Say Tomato, Some Say TomAto, Some Tomate, Some Jitomate

Post by gringomojado Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:58 pm

In most of Latin America, people say tomate, but in many states and areas of Mexico they say "Jitomate". I realize that this can probably be traced to Native ("indian") languages, but where is Mexico is the "Ji" added? I think it is prevalent in MĂ­ichoacan and Jalisco, but want to be sure.

thanks,

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Some Say Tomato, Some Say TomAto, Some Tomate, Some Jitomate Empty Re: Some Say Tomato, Some Say TomAto, Some Tomate, Some Jitomate

Post by bobnliz Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm

I hear "jitomate" in Sonora and Jalisco as well as Veracruz. "Tomate" and "Tomatillo refer to the small, green, husked ground tomato. Rather acidic and used for green salsas. Both translate as "tomato"... but they are not the same. Lizzy

bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Some Say Tomato, Some Say TomAto, Some Tomate, Some Jitomate Empty Re: Some Say Tomato, Some Say TomAto, Some Tomate, Some Jitomate

Post by David Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:50 pm

It's Jitomate here, Tomate in most of the rest of Mexico and Spain, tomatillo is indeed the little green one and are not referred to as "tomate" here.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:28 pm

David wrote: tomatillo is indeed the little green one and are not referred to as "tomate" here.

If here, you mean Jalisco and neighboring areas, nobody calls them tomatillo, there are called tomate (verde). The very small ones, sometimes wild and the ones that were traditionally planted amongst the corn rows are miltomate or tomate de milpa.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Yea in Guatemala they are miltomate. They have a kind or rough "skin" reminds one of the outer layers of an onien, when dry.

thanks all
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Well, I guess it's just us gringos that call them tomatillos. Thanks for the clarification.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Some Say Tomato, Some Say TomAto, Some Tomate, Some Jitomate Empty Not Just Gringos

Post by gringomojado Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:37 pm

David wrote:Well, I guess it's just us gringos that call them tomatillos. Thanks for the clarification.

In many areas of Mexico, the people call the little green leathery ones, " tomatillos".

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Ok, so if I'm out of the area I'll be correct.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:52 pm

David wrote:Ok, so if I'm out of the area I'll be correct.

There is no correct or incorrect. It is just a different name for the same thing. I'd be willing to wager that the most common name for it though is simply tomate verde or just tomate.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:20 am

gringomojado wrote:
David wrote:Well, I guess it's just us gringos that call them tomatillos. Thanks for the clarification.

In many areas of Mexico, the people call the little green leathery ones, " tomatillos".

gm

Are they always picked green before they ripen, or just picked unripe for green salsa.

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:08 pm

I believe tomatillos are green color when ripe.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:39 pm

They develop a bit of yellow when they get good and ripe, but that has never been a criteria for salsa verde. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down