INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connecting speakers

+2
CanuckBob
Flamingo
6 posters

Go down

Connecting speakers Empty Connecting speakers

Post by Flamingo Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:08 pm

This is as good a place as any to ask. For reasons I won't go into, we didn't bring most of our home theater equipment down with us. 

We tried buying equipment here. I now have a CD player and speakers with bare wires and NO plugs. What's up with this?? I took the speakers into a repair shop and asked to have plugs attached and he said he didn't know what I was asking for. How the hell do I connect wires when the back of the CD player has places to plug in the coaxial RF cables? Before I go back to the shop and throw the whole thing at the guy who sold it to my husband (who hands everything to me and says, "I don't know how to set this up") is there actually a way to plug the little wires into the back of the CD player?
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Connecting speakers Empty Re: Connecting speakers

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Most amplifiers use those "bare ended" speaker wires. However, I would really have to see the back of this CD player to make a sound decision. Can you post a pic of where you think the speakers need to plug in? You may just have a raw CD player there that needs to be connected to an amplifier that the speakers would then hook up to.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Flamingo wrote:This is as good a place as any to ask. For reasons I won't go into, we didn't bring most of our home theater equipment down with us. 

We tried buying equipment here. I now have a CD player and speakers with bare wires and NO plugs. What's up with this?? I took the speakers into a repair shop and asked to have plugs attached and he said he didn't know what I was asking for. How the hell do I connect wires when the back of the CD player has places to plug in the coaxial RF cables? Before I go back to the shop and throw the whole thing at the guy who sold it to my husband (who hands everything to me and says, "I don't know how to set this up") is there actually a way to plug the little wires into the back of the CD player?

No help from me Flamingo, but, LMAO, I do the same thing to Deb!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Are you thinking you should have these kinds of connectors? Connecting speakers HReceiverPhonoRCA
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Here is a picture. It has places for the cable but the speakers have wires. It has little red and black clips? on the back but if that is how to connect the speakers, how do you decide which clip to use?

Connecting speakers Cd_pla10
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Those are speaker connectors, yes. You push or pull the black and red to reveal a hole for the wire.

Each speaker has two wires, one for left, one for right. Usually one wire in each pair is striped, or has a raised edge along one side. We try to think of those as + or positive, and the red as - or negative.

The clips should be clearly marked: L(eft) R(ight) + -  etc. and Rear, Front, Centre, if it's surround. If you have two speakers, always use Left and Right (front). (Can't tell through the plastic wrap.)
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:39 am

The OP said he had a CD player.  He didn't mention an amp or rcvr.  I think he needs one.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:38 am

True, but judging by the back of this thing, it is one of those all-in-one units. I've had a couple of setups like that (but for DVDs). It has a built-in receiver and amp.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:01 am

Aha!  I failed to note that the pic was from him!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:24 am

Yes, the bare wires from the speakers push into those red & black clips on the back of that CD player. There appears to be room for 6 speakers (front left, front right, center, rear left, rear right & sub).
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 am

You guys are wonderful! It is working! It does seem to be an all in one. The speaker "system" the guy sold dear husband doesn't seem to work - I put the wires in Center since it was the only one - but the old speakers I have been shelping around because they didn't have plugs are working.

Thanks!
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Flamingo wrote:You guys are wonderful! It is working! It does seem to be an all in one. The speaker "system" the guy sold dear husband doesn't seem to work - I put the wires in Center since it was the only one - but the old speakers I have been shelping around because they didn't have plugs are working.

Thanks!

Have you got a photo of the back (connections) of the speaker that is NOT working?

and is there an ohm sign Connecting speakers 1505C803-111D-C474-1CE19F3CC9C30F1F
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Why are you asking about ohms, arbon? Even if she had 4 ohm car speakers, which is doubtful, the sound wouldn't be cut off (or short), if that's what you're thinking.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down