INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ANother Update on Charlie from Ann

+3
Trailrunner
ferret
Hensley
7 posters

Go down

ANother Update on Charlie from Ann Empty ANother Update on Charlie from Ann

Post by Hensley Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Ann is very grateful for the overwhelming outpouring of love and concern from the community, but she asks that people NOT call for the time being.

Dear Marty (and all you others on the list who are eavesdropping, please spread the word),

We live in fabulous community with loads of love and caring. This may be why this news is good, rather than awful. We have much to be grateful for. As my grandmother used to say "he got a flucky" (say it out loud with a heavy accent if you don't understand).

Sunday morning, while making his usual rounds selling raffle tickets for his beloved Cruz Roja Chapala, he was struck down by a drunk driver on his cell phone, who bounced off several parked cars before plowing into Charlie and the Mexican man who had just washed his car. He was not in the car, but was hit directly on his right side and knocked down. This could have been tragic, but, fortunately, none of the "worsts" I imagined came to pass. Cruz Roja (Red Cross) came through for him like the professional crew they are. The ambulances (2) were there in an instant, Charlie was slipped onto a papoose board, his head encased in padding and straps, and he was brought to the clinic for triage. The other ambulance took the other victim, who was hurt because Charlie was thrown into him before he hit the ground.

Xrays (thanks to Charlie's, and other like-minded individuals, prodigious fund raising, the new digital Xray machine is a wonder) showed no broken hip!! He has 2 fractures of the pelvic bone, and as the orthopedic surgeon explained to me today, the key part, the ring in the center, is intact. Two of the spokes are broken, no surgery is needed, just many weeks, even months, of total bed rest (He's going to hate this). He also has 3 broken ribs, all the lower, "floating" ribs which are not so painful. Also a fracture of his sacrum, not all the way through. All should heal with time, with no surgery needed, no lasting damage.

The neurosurgeon was already at the hospital waitng when the ambulance arrived at San Javier Hospital, our hospital of choice. After a CT scan and Xrays, he told me there was no fracture, no concussion, only a small hematoma which 95% 0f the time reduces in 48 hours, no surgery needed. He is being carefully watched in the classiest ICU I've ever seen.

Charlie got a gash on his face which missed his right eye by less than half and inch!! It was stitched at Cruz Roja but tomorrow, after the neurosurgeon gives his clearance for general anaesthesia, the surgeon will remove the basic stitches and do a prettier job. In the midst of all this chaos and crisis, the doctors are thinking ahead to his beautiful face!! It is so typical of the caring we have found in the medical community here in Mexico,

Right now he is on heavy meds and in no pain. Our visit together this afternoon was actually laughable because he is so confused. Fortunately, he has no memory of the accident or his painful experience at Cruz Roja, where they stitched him up with only local anaesthetic. It was the shots of anaesthesia he complained about the time. He told me I visited him yesterday(I rode in the ambulance and never left his side) with a friend who moved away 5 years ago. He was remembering the day after his heart attack 12 years ago! Then he sent me to the kitchen for corn flakes with mik and sugar, thinking he was in his bed at home, even though he just said he knew he was in hospital. I know he will remember none of this conversation, tomorrow or ever, all of which is comforting to me.

I just got a call from our internist and cardiologist, who is like family after all we've been through with him these last years. He was calling from Charlie's bedside to let me know he's comfortable and doing fine. Charlie will be moved to a regular junior suite(much less expensive than a semiprivate room in a US hospital) the day after tomorrow, after the 48 hour watch has passed. Then I can spend day and night with him, as they will make a bed for me in his suite. I don't know that I will do that or not. I may wear out my welcome and he may prefer the constant company of TV(which I dislike).

Charlie will not be raising any money for Cruz Roja any time soon, and he will be sorely missed. If anyone wants to send a donation to Cruz Roja Chapala, feel free to send me a US check made out to CRIVC,Inc, a US tax deductible corporation(thanks in part to Charlie's efforts) and mail it to our US mailing address at 2163 Lima Loop, 071450, Laredo, TX 78045. In Mexico one can do either a US check or a Mexican check to our home at Paseo del Mirador #64, LaFloresta, Ajijic, Jalisco, MX 45920. Much better and more appreciated than a get well card, and it will make you feel so good inside to know how you have thrilled Charlie. I know this sounds shameless, because it is.

Love, Ann
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

ANother Update on Charlie from Ann Empty Re: ANother Update on Charlie from Ann

Post by ferret Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Way to go Ann! Shameless it's not.
So grateful for the good news on Charlie's well being. Thank you for taking the time to write. Julie, thanks for posting this.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Excellent update! Thank you Ann! Thank you Julie.

It will probably be awhile before Charlie gets to checking his email, but if you'd like to send him a note his email is: hipookies@yahoo.com
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Relieved he will recover.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Have been watching the updates for news, and greatly appreciate the detailed news. Thanks Ann & Hensley!

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Gal Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:37 am

This is wonderful news! Charlie is on the mend. We're all routing for him.
Surte

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:50 am

Yea except for us having to tie Charlie down so he stays in Bed!! He is not
exactly a stay in one place guy LOL. This could be hard for Charlie.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down