INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I just got an ad for Netflix and looked into it. $99(Pesos) a month. Questions.

+5
otrocanuck
zenwoodle
CheenaGringo
Axixic
Talosian
9 posters

Go down

I just got an ad for Netflix and looked into it. $99(Pesos) a month. Questions. Empty I just got an ad for Netflix and looked into it. $99(Pesos) a month. Questions.

Post by Talosian Fri May 24, 2013 4:52 pm

The ad says I get unlimited time with streaming video for that price and a one-month trial for free.

It says I need only 0.5 bandwidth, etc. I then looked into Hulu, seems similar.

I'm told I can get it on my computer and am wondering if I can output it to my HDTV with an HDMI cable.

Seems reasonable and I'm looking for opinions by people here who have either.

I have been here 9 years and when I came, I had an old "C" dish (I think) but the service was so screwed I killed it in less than a year. Codes were always changing and the service went down regularly.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : All over the field.

Back to top Go down

I just got an ad for Netflix and looked into it. $99(Pesos) a month. Questions. Empty Re: I just got an ad for Netflix and looked into it. $99(Pesos) a month. Questions.

Post by Axixic Fri May 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Bit Torrents.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

I just got an ad for Netflix and looked into it. $99(Pesos) a month. Questions. Empty Re: I just got an ad for Netflix and looked into it. $99(Pesos) a month. Questions.

Post by Talosian Fri May 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Axixic wrote:Bit Torrents.

I used BT for many years; I could get TV shows literally minutes after the show, but there were problems and the MMPA started suing people (but not in Mexico).

Downloads were always somewhat iffy and took a lot of time. If Netflix is decent and the price is right, it could be the better deal. And one other thing.

Several studies on BitTorrent have indicated that a large portion of files available for download via BitTorrent contain malware. In particular, one small sample[96] indicated that 18% of all executable programs available for download contained malware. Another study[97] claims that as much as 14.5% of BitTorrent downloads contain zero-day malware, and that BitTorrent was used as the distribution mechanism for 47% of all zero-day malware they have found.

I won't dismiss it but still want some opinions based on actual NF use.

Thanks.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : All over the field.

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri May 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Here NOB, we had a Netflix subscription that we had to run through a computer and do a cable feed to the TV. Netflix started jacking around subscribers and when we purchased a Logitec Google TV box, we switched to Amazon streaming. It seems that their titles are more current and they don't seem to be dropping titles as announced by Netflix. Since we subscribe to Amazon Prime, there are literally 1000's of titles that we get for free and their prices on current titles are generally lower than we have offered to us on DISH.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri May 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Had Netflix NOB and down here.

Same problem. They do not show anything that I can not get elsewhere for free, and most of the stuff they have is stuff I have already seen, or am not interested in.
Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

I just got an ad for Netflix and looked into it. $99(Pesos) a month. Questions. Empty Why bother with Netflix?

Post by otrocanuck Sat May 25, 2013 11:46 am

We use to use Netflix on a regular basis then we got fed up with the age of the movies and thought we would try " Graboid". WHAT a difference, For twenty dollars a month we watch sitcoms, movies, videos, sports events, etc. all as current as yesterday's releases. If you wanted to watch the new Star Trek it is already there and it only hit theaters this week. Almost any movie you can think of it is there. We usually watch at least three sitcoms in an evening and some time a full length movie. Why invest in Netflix who shows mostly movies over two years old when you can watch what was on yesterday??? or new in the theaters this week?? After a year + of using Graboid we couldn't be happier.
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Mississauga, Point Claire, Edmonton, Saltspring Isl., Nakusp,Chapala,

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:18 pm

US Netflix doesn't seem to care that I am in Mexico. HuluPlus on the other will check your ip address and block access to content if it finds out you are not in the US. To get around this I connect to a VPN in US. I use HideMyAss.com which gives me the appearance of being in the US. I can also change countries so the BBC thinks I am in UK and I can watch BBC's iPlayer, which again is blocked outside of UK. I have a router connected to my Telecable modem and I have flashed the router with software that keeps me connected to my country of choice. As the router has wireless capabilities, my wireless network is virtually in US.
I can get everything that is geo-restricted. HuluPlus, Pandora, Spotify, iPlayer, etc. If you want exact details, msg me.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RachelM Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:33 pm

I subscribe to Netflix and use an Apple TV box to stream it to my TV. I input a US dsn number into the box so I have access to the full range of shows available. I can watch what I want, when I want, as often as I want. Love it!

RachelM

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Before jumping into Netflix, you might want to check into current titles? There have been numerous Internet articles about them losing titles and studios. We made the decision over a year ago to go the Amazon Prime streaming route and are really quite happy with the decision.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:45 pm

As a Netflix user, I can confirm that their streaming selection is relatively poor. Most of the time we watch HuluPlus which does not have a good movie selection, but they do have a lot of interesting shows from England, Australia, Canada, as well as the usual US fare.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

I just got an ad for Netflix and looked into it. $99(Pesos) a month. Questions. Empty Why pay for outdated Netflix content?

Post by Canuck Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:49 pm

Try http://www.xbmchub.com/. Install XBMC (available for Windows, Mac, iOS, Apple TV, Android and Linux,) run the wizard and be watching free movies and tv in minutes. 
This is not an affiliate link, the program is open source and free.

Last edited by Canuck on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)
Canuck
Canuck

Humor : Ironic

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:44 pm

I also had netflix down here for awhile.  Was only like 8 bucks a month, so I figured, why not?  First, in opposition to TrueBrit's post, Netflix most definitely cared that I was in Mexico.  When I forgot to turn on my vpn I got a completely different set of shows and movies available, and often a series I was watching on US netflix was not available on the Mexican version.  I'll also second the post of several other users by saying that Netflix has very little up to date programming.  I use btvguide.com for all my tv shows and it has a much more extensive library, and is free.  The movies on Netflix are woefully out of date, and the tv shows, while they may be currently running programs, don't contain the current season.  They won't get the current season of your favorite show for about a year, so while it's useful to find a show you've never watched and get into it, at a certain point you're stuck waiting for what everyone else is currently watching, or forced to go elsewhere to get current.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down