INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foreigners Who “Own” & Rent in Mexico….It’s Time to Get Legal!

+7
jrm30655
DaveP
seisdedos
slainte39
ferret
hockables
sparks
11 posters

Go down

Foreigners Who “Own” & Rent in Mexico….It’s Time to Get Legal!  Empty Foreigners Who “Own” & Rent in Mexico….It’s Time to Get Legal!

Post by sparks Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Interesting thread on Mexconnect and another article

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=189489;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

http://mexico.escapeartist.com/newsletter/foreigners-who-own-rent-mexico-its-time-to-get-legal
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Foreigners Who “Own” & Rent in Mexico….It’s Time to Get Legal!  Empty Re: Foreigners Who “Own” & Rent in Mexico….It’s Time to Get Legal!

Post by hockables Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Blackeye Muerte y Impuestos...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Foreigners Who “Own” & Rent in Mexico….It’s Time to Get Legal!  Empty Re: Foreigners Who “Own” & Rent in Mexico….It’s Time to Get Legal!

Post by ferret Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 pm

You couldn't get away with not paying taxes on a rental income in Canada or the U.S.
Why do people think they can get away with it in Mexico?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:10 pm

ferret wrote:

That ought bring on another four pages of posts. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:13 pm

ferret wrote:You couldn't get away with not paying taxes on a rental income in Canada or the U.S.

Because a lot of them do just that.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:58 pm

seisdedos wrote:
ferret wrote:You couldn't get away with not paying taxes on a rental income in Canada or the U.S.

If all the IVA and ISR were collected by Hacienda that would be legally due and payable on rentals in the expat area of Lakeside....rents would double.
Maybe with stricter enforcement of tax collection that is why the income requirements for foreigners have increased.
16%= IVA....35% of 65% of the rent (mas o menos)=ISR....plus CP honorarios...it ain't pretty.
I didn't mention rental commissions or managemnent fees as most people aren't avoiding those now.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:06 am

slainte39 wrote:
seisdedos wrote:

If all the IVA and ISR were collected by Hacienda that would be legally due and payable on rentals in the expat area of Lakeside....rents would double.
Maybe with stricter enforcement of tax collection that is why the income requirements for foreigners have increased.
16%= IVA....35% of 65% of the rent (mas o menos)=ISR....plus CP honorarios...it ain't pretty.
I didn't mention rental commissions or managemnent fees as most people aren't avoiding those now.

I understand that IVA is not payable if the house is unfurnished. Rents would not double because people would refuse to pay. Tenants would not move and rent increases would control the changes in rent (10%?). I would expect a lot of empty houses and a lot of furniture on the market to save paying the IVA. As a renter I am not paying the owners' tax liability. That is their expense and as NOB it is a cost of doing business. How does one rent a house for 2000.00 when the house next door is renting for 1000.00? Pay your taxes, it is not a free ride. Report the oncome NOB also. I have no pity for tax evadors.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 am

Governments everywhere are getting desperate for money and looking under every rock.

On the other hand, everyone who makes money is trying to keep it away from the government.

Been that way since time began..........

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:29 am

Yes, you can get away with it and many do in Canada. In fact just before we left there was a similar campaign in BC looking at rental ads for two reasons:

- One was to crack down on illegal rental units.

- Two was to collect taxes.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:32 am

It's been a while since I've rented in Canada, but I vaguely remember a section where you filled in the amount of rent you paid to a landlord on your income tax form. Has that changed?...and, if not, isn't that a way for the government to find out who's paying rent and to whom?...especially in these days of computers.

We are sticklers for following the rules...wherever we live. "oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive." That's us...YMMV...and I don't mean that we're not going to seek out every legal loophole to defer taxes that is possible.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:44 am

ferret wrote:It's been a while since I've rented in Canada, but I vaguely remember a section where you filled in the amount of rent you paid to a landlord on your income tax form. Has that changed?...and, if not, isn't that a way for the government to find out who's paying rent and to whom?...especially in these days of computers.
That would be one way, but would violate confidentiality laws concerning federal/provincial returns, which cover all gov't. dept.'s, accountants, tax-return preparers, and so on.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 am

ferret wrote:It's been a while since I've rented in Canada, but I vaguely remember a section where you filled in the amount of rent you paid to a landlord on your income tax form. Has that changed?...and, if not, isn't that a way for the government to find out who's paying rent and to whom?...especially in these days of computers.

We are sticklers for following the rules...wherever we live. "oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive." That's us...YMMV...and I don't mean that we're not going to seek out every legal loophole to defer taxes that is possible.

The landlord gives a break on the rent as an "under the table" deal since their suite is usually illegal anyways. Most people are more than happy to screw the govt. out of some tax money and get a cheaper rent.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:36 am

Paying taxes on our rental properties is easy and cheap. We and the B&B owners we know use:

L.C.P. Rodolfo Rivera O.
Contrador Publico
Ph: 766-1020 or 766-0892

Rodolfo speaks English and will be happy to meet with you and show you your options. Anguish not folks, this is simple stuff.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:40 am

I totally agree Bob. I will be hooking up for regular tax payments on our rental casita's as soon as they are rented and we get our permanentes completed. I don't ever mess with the tax man........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 am

Tax collectors should be on commission....and be armed.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:30 am

DaveP wrote:

I understand that IVA is not payable if the house is unfurnished.

Can you imagine Hacienda sending out inspectors to determine if a rental is furnished or not or what the criteria is for how much can belong to the lessor or to the lessee. I would like to see the codigo civil that defines all that. Rolling Eyes

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down