INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Himalayan Salt Plates

4 posters

Go down

Himalayan Salt Plates Empty Himalayan Salt Plates

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:02 pm

I usually keep fairly tuned into the latest and greatest for BBQ's but I have to admit this one snuck up on me:
[img]Himalayan Salt Plates 61ihth10[/img]

Not only can you use one of these to cook on the BBQ: http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/Resources/Cook-Steak-On-Himalayan-Salt-Block
but you can also prepare a cold platter to serve chilled foods on. From all that I have read, the block does impart a subtle flavor.

After my curiosity was triggered, I happened to be watching a food show on steaks and they showed the aging room at the Primehouse in Chicago. They have one wall lined with Himalayan Salt Bricks:

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Himalayan Salt Plates Empty Re: Himalayan Salt Plates

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Received an 8" x 12" Himalayan Salt Plate for Christmas and have been doing a bit of studying before trying it out.  Right now, I am considering Alaskan Salmon and will probably follow this procedure:

The go lb salt company has produced a number of very interesting videos giving information on cooking various items using this interesting product:
https://www.youtube.com/user/golbsalt/videos

Anyone with any experience and wisdom of cooking this way?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:33 pm

dammit. carlos slime won't let me watch the salmon vid. if you cook on that salt plate,how do you generate smoke to the meat for flavour?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:19 pm

They've been more commonly used on raw food to salt cure and/or serve (nice presentation).
¡Buen provecho!
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Finally got around to trying Steelhead on the Salt Plate tonight.  As recommended, I had previously "cured or seasoned" the plate by slowly cranking our oven up to full heat with the plate and then letting it slowly cool.  Since I was being very cautious on bringing it slowly up to full temp, it took about 80 minutes to get the surface temp to 535 degrees F measured with a laser infared thermometer.

Himalayan Salt Plates <a href=Himalayan Salt Plates Dscn6516" />

While the BBQ and salt plate was heating, I had sprinkled the Steelhead with some dill and applied a very light coating of Garlic Olive Oil.  Just before I was ready to put the Steelhead on the heated plate, I applied a conservative coating of Kirkland Parmesan & Herb Encrusting Blend. I put the Steelhead on the plate flesh side down for about 40 seconds to give it a light browning:
Himalayan Salt Plates <a href=Himalayan Salt Plates Dscn6517" />
And then flipped it over skin side down for about 5 to 6 minutes:
Himalayan Salt Plates <a href=Himalayan Salt Plates Dscn6518" />

Both of us decided that this was some of the finest salmon or trout we have had in our lives - extremely moist and full of flavor!  Now on to other things like steak, lamb, shrimp, scallops, chicken and veggies.

I must admit that I am a sucker for the latest and greatest cooking gadget or method but this is by far the best I have ever tried!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:29 am

Nice report CG. Thanks for sharing, I must try this!
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:59 am

My second experiment with cooking on a salt plate - Ahi Tuna steaks.  Since I couldn't find a tuna specific recipe, came up with one of my own.  Coated the 1" steaks with garlic olive oil and used the same Parmesan & Herb Crusting Blend.  Plate was 510 degrees and I cooked about 4 minutes per side.  A bit more done than I like my tuna but still moist and tasty.

Our next addition to the Himalayan salt collection - Tequila Sipping Shots:

Himalayan Salt Plates <a href=Himalayan Salt Plates 61ay1a10" />

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 am

Very Happy
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Last night I cooked marinated boneless chicken thighs on the salt plate and really learned a lesson! Since Kathy was out of town and I was cooking for myself, I got lazy and used a commercial Lemon Pepper Marinade. While the chicken was really good - moist, tender and very tasty, I learned from the cleanup process that one shouldn't use a commercial preparation probably due to the additives? It took me over an hour to scour the plate and get the surface ready for the next experiment.

From now on, I will use various infused olive oils, natural juices and natural herbs and stay away from anything with sugar and cease being lazy. After I got done with the cleanup, it made me think just how much time I could have saved by making my own marinade!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Last Thursday, I cooked my own recipe marinated Arrachera on our salt plate and used the exact same recipe I have used in the past so that we could have a direct comparison to cooking on the BBQ. This was by far the juiciest and most tender Arrachera (using Costco choice flap steak) we have ever cooked here NOB. While you could definitely taste the salt from the plate, it wasn't extreme and really tasted about right for us. The rest of the spices that I included in the marinade came through in the cooking process with none of them too extreme.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down