INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scientists see Ominous Decline in Mexico's Monarch Butterflies

2 posters

Go down

Scientists see Ominous Decline in Mexico's Monarch Butterflies Empty Scientists see Ominous Decline in Mexico's Monarch Butterflies

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:02 pm

"MEXICO CITY —The amount of Monarch butterflies wintering in Mexico dropped 59 percent this year, falling to the lowest level since comparable record-keeping began 20 years ago, scientists reported Wednesday.

It was the third straight year of declines for the orange-and-black butterflies that migrate from the United States and Canada to spend the winter in mountaintop fir forests in central Mexico. Six of the last seven years have shown drops, and there are now only one-fifteenth as many butterflies as there were in 1997.

The decline now marks a statistical long-term trend and can no longer be seen as a combination of yearly or seasonal events, the experts said........

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/13/17302569-scientists-see-ominous-decline-in-mexicos-monarch-butterflies?lite

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Scientists see Ominous Decline in Mexico's Monarch Butterflies Empty Re: Scientists see Ominous Decline in Mexico's Monarch Butterflies

Post by ferret Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 pm

I take it that you didn't go in February and are kicking yourself.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Scientists see Ominous Decline in Mexico's Monarch Butterflies Empty Re: Scientists see Ominous Decline in Mexico's Monarch Butterflies

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Ferret:

You are correct in your assumption. Two factors - not enough time to accomplish all that we wanted to do in Michoacan as it was and I am ashamed to say, I hadn't walked enough prior to our trip to be in shape to make the hike. We had reports from friends in Patzcuaro that this was the situation and that they had friends who were quite disappointed.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Considering your source of info, you chose correctly.
I can only hope that they make a miraculous recovery and that, one day, you will be able to experience them in their natural habitat.
A couple of years before we went, there was a prolonged cold snap and heavy snow which decimated the population. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:33 pm

While factors don't look positive, sometimes nature has a way of rebounding. While I am certainly no scientist, it appears to me that the biggest factor is the decline of milkweed? I am hopeful that in future years when we have more time to spend vacationing in Mexico, the time and opportunity will present itself.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down