INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL

+7
lunateak
Jim W
espíritu del lago
gringal
Intercasa
Zedinmexico
CheenaGringo
11 posters

Go down

10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL Empty 10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 am

http://www.smartertravel.com/photo-galleries/editorial/10-fashion-faux-pas-for-travelers.html?id=380&max_photos=7

[img]10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL Stm51210[/img]

"Sandals with Socks

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a tourist in Tevas and white tube socks, I'd have enough to buy at least one of those misguided souls a new pair of shoes. I'll never understand this fashion faux pas—if you want warm toes, why not wear closed-toe shoes with socks? Or if your feet get too sweaty, why are you wearing socks with your sandals?"

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL Empty Re: 10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 am

Because they are comfortable and work well. I wonder why people are so interested
in what I wear on my feet? I don't care what you wear and frankly
my Pirma sandles and tan dockers knee socks look one hell of a lot better than
someone in bright crocs or whatever other idiotic fashion shoes people wear. I
suppose folks hate my Berkie clogs also. I dress for comfort and health. Much
better for your feet to wear socks and sandals than bare feet and sandals if you
walk alot. Keeps your feet much cleaner and stops blisters and such. You asked
why and here is an answer.

For the folks who don't know PNW (Seattle/Portland) folks are known for being the worst fashion
slobs in the US LOL. Blue jeans are standard for half the folks at the Seattle Opera and no one
cares including wearing berkies and socks if it is winter.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL Empty Re: 10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:43 am

I must have missed something? Where in the post or in the story did it say: ZED?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:49 am

Isn´t it a Canadian thing?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:50 am

You asked " Why are you wearing socks with your sandles?" and I answered
because I wear sandles with socks. Seems like someone who wears sandles
with socks should comment. I found most of the fashion faux pax to be silly
like white tennis shoes or backpacks. Who cares?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:51 am

Intercasa wrote:Isn´t it a Canadian thing?

To be honest it is also a Pacific Northwest Thing with Berkenstocks and socks including big thick wool ones for winter.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:55 am

English Grammar 101: When one encloses a sentence or paragraph inside of quotes, it indicates they are quoting the linked article or someone elses statement or statements!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:03 am

I thought it was your words as I didn't see the quote above on the title. Sorry
my bad.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 am

And don´t the Germans wear dark socks with their sandals?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 am

General comment: The do's and don'ts only matter if you care about fashion.
Most of the folks I see wandering around Lakeside don't care, on any number of levels. Some are a sight to behold, but they're happy.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:34 am

Does that include plumbers butt and pants on the ground? Ahh! and lets not exclude whole body inking, multiple piercings and a whole lot of cellulite and dressing like you are still a teenager when you are 60 plus?
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 am

espíritu del lago wrote:Does that include plumbers butt and pants on the ground? Ahh! and lets not exclude whole body inking, multiple piercings and a whole lot of cellulite and dressing like you are still a teenager when you are 60 plus?

Don't forget the THONG/plumbers butt......GROSS 10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL 374777
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:52 am

I think that if you can pass a full length mirror before leaving the house without gasping at the costuming.............you are either looking good or just don't giveadang. A little twist to see the back view wouldn't hurt: might give you pause for thought if you are wearing shorts to compliment those varicose veins and wide butt.
scratch

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:09 pm

I should care about your value judgement because...?
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:25 pm

I’m with Zed, it’s about comfort. My feet sweat abnormally and if I can’t wash my SHOES daily then I must at least wear socks. Many shoes I can’t where because of their rubber insoles and I just slip all over the place and I doubt I’m the only one? And not to gross too many out but they get fairly smelly, powder helps.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 pm

lunateak wrote:I should care about your value judgement because...?

If you read my post, it refers to YOUR OWN value judgment of how you look, not mine.

[/quote]I think that if you can pass a full length mirror before leaving the house without gasping at the costuming.............you are either looking good or just don't giveadang[quote]

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Just think of it this way.... evidently the "large" gal in the "show the butt crack" pants... likes it that way....and just think of all of the stimulating conversation she created! Same reason people always open the latest "strange sights as Walmart" emails. After checking those out... we suddenly feel younger, thinner, more stylish etc etc.

The funniest post about clothing dos and don'ts had to be when CG was still buddies with Peedro and went on one of his clothing rants. Peedro posted a photo of his dearly beloved in a flowered shirt, plaid shorts..plus the socks and sandals..... If we could have heard a pin drop..... we would have heard a pin drop! Very Happy
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm

There are no do's and dont's from some high authority unless you're into being a real fashionista. Then you're stuck as a prisoner of someone else's opinions and paying through the nose to be in the style of the moment.

When fashion dictated pointy toed high heels and my feet said "no way", I went with my feet. Still do.

Those Walmart photos make me scratch my head a little, but obviously, the people belong to the "don't give a dang" (big time) group.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapala Payaso Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 pm

I'll bet this would be a popular post on TOB right next to the questions where someone wants to know where to buy a good tooth brush.

Chapala Payaso
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Parker wrote:I’m with Zed, it’s about comfort. My feet sweat abnormally and if I can’t wash my SHOES daily then I must at least wear socks. Many shoes I can’t where because of their rubber insoles and I just slip all over the place and I doubt I’m the only one? And not to gross too many out but they get fairly smelly, powder helps.
TMI.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 pm

"by gringal Today at 12:41 pm

.There are no do's and dont's from some high authority unless you're into being a real fashionista. Then you're stuck as a prisoner of someone else's opinions and paying through the nose to be in the style of the moment."

Amen sistuh! As you can see by my photo... I'm not exactly a slave to fashion. Funny enough I actually was at one time. When I was singing we lived in the same hotels we worked in so I didn't have any "fun" clothes.

When I got off the road and was able to actually do something fun that required no fuss clothes...it was like they took the corset off and I could finally breathe! Beer ! I can still do the "look at me stuff"...when I want to.... but I rarely want to.

kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 pm

[img]10 Fashion Faux Pas for Travelers from SMARTER TRAVEL Dscn5121[/img]

Any guesses as to the country of origin for the guy sneaking behind the female Mariachias two Sundays ago at the El Patio in Tlaquepaque?

Note: The only reason that I know for sure is that there were two tables with their Country's flag displayed prominently on the table top.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:

Note: The only reason that I know for sure is that there were two tables with their Country's flag displayed prominently on the table top.
Let me guess, it had a maple leaf on it.
Now that is a phenomemon I have personally observed on several occasions,mostly on the coast,what the hell is up with that,waving your flag in a country that you're visiting,it seemed to me kind of arrogant and embarrassing,but at least it gives the waiters a heads up LOL.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Chris:

In defense of the flag wavers (with a Maple Leaf), these flags are supplied by El Patio (I believe)? I guess we should feel hurt since in 15 years of going to El Patio, we have never been asked for a flag! We observed this phenomenon one other time with a 20'ish pair of women, Mexican and Japanese - so they placed both flags on their table. Since the two tables had 10 or 12 total, maybe they were part of a tour group and their guide may have requested the flags?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:54 pm

The ones I was thinking of were the prominent flags on bungalows and vehicles on the coast.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down