INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

+4
ferret
CanuckBob
hockables
Jim W
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE Empty REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

Post by Jim W Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Deb and I check ours at least once a week, and since we have a house guest for the next month, invited him to check his......he admitted he hadn't checked his in nearly 3 years. The first reading was 205 over 105...the following 3 were similar in results.

I immediately contacted Dr. Sam Thelin @ Cruz Roja, and found that they did EKG's and had a newer machine....got my friend down there this morning, BP was 190 over 100, all is good, prescription for HBP received, no apparent damage.

Cruz Roja charged 300 pesos, and the entire proceedure took less than 30 minutes, on a Sunday morning.

Thanks again Dr. Sam! cheers
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE Empty Re: REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

Post by hockables Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Jim W wrote:Deb and I check ours at least once a week, and since we have a house guest for the next month, invited him to check his......he admitted he hadn't checked his in nearly 3 years. The first reading was 205 over 105...the following 3 were similar in results.

I immediately contacted Dr. Sam Thelin @ Cruz Roja, and found that they did EKG's and had a newer machine....got my friend down there this morning, BP was 190 over 100, all is good, prescription for HBP received, no apparent damage.

Cruz Roja charged 300 pesos, and the entire proceedure took less than 30 minutes, on a Sunday morning.

My Doctor gave me a scrip and Recommended Mota.... works great on Blood Pressure

REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE 169387 I Love My Doctor!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE Empty Re: REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

Post by Jim W Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Jesus Hocks, everytime ya post sumthin I gotta "Google">>>>>Mota? LMAO, Why didn't ya just say Mary Jane, Hemp, pot? Smokealot Canabis. BTW, does your Doctor write prescriptions in both Canada and US?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Jim, your buddy wasn't hitting that tequila barrel before you took his BP was he? Shocked
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:28 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Jim, your buddy wasn't hitting that tequila barrel before you took his BP was he? Shocked

Bob, there hasn't been tequila in that barrel since I quit.....June 8th, 2012! If anyone wants an empty, 10 ltr tequila barrel, please PM! Cost a couple cervesas........LMAO......I don't deliver! In all honesty, regarding blood pressure......My buddy was shocked, I freaked....thinkin stroke or worse.....Happy all turned out well, and a warning to all.....CHECK IT! REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE 18717
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Now he should go to an Opthamologist and have his retinas checked to make sure that no damage was done.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:22 pm

ferret wrote:Now he should go to an Opthamologist and have his retinas checked to make sure that no damage was done.

Ferret, me or Hocks?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Your House Guest...he's the one who didn't know he had high blood pressure. And, for sure, he doesn't know how long it's been high if he hasn't had it checked in three years. That can do damage to the retinas of the eyes. He should go have it checked...and be thankful that he has friends as caring as you.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:06 pm

ferret wrote:Your House Guest...he's the one who didn't know he had high blood pressure. And, for sure, he doesn't know how long it's been high if he hasn't had it checked in three years. That can do damage to the retinas of the eyes. He should go have it checked...and be thankful that he has friends as caring as you.

Thank You Ferret, night has been hell, my wife had another stroke, fortunately, we know symtoms, took her to cruz roja, got injection, all is good. We are so lucky to have cruz roja! All is good!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:40 pm

OMG! Jim, is she going to be OK? Send me a PM if you don't want to discuss here. She's looks so young to be having strokes.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 am

hockables wrote:
Jim W wrote:Deb and I check ours at least once a week, and since we have a house guest for the next month, invited him to check his......he admitted he hadn't checked his in nearly 3 years. The first reading was 205 over 105...the following 3 were similar in results.

My Doctor gave me a scrip and Recommended Mota.... works great on Blood Pressure

REMINDER ABOUT THE SILENT KILLER...HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE 169387 I Love My Doctor!!

Name of doctor please, you can send a P.M. Sounds like my kinda guy.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 am

ferret wrote:OMG! Jim, is she going to be OK? Send me a PM if you don't want to discuss here. She's looks so young to be having strokes.

Thanks again Ferret. Deb called Dr. Leon immediately, he had her go to farmacia christina all completed within an hour. Within hours the 1st sign for her...numb lips....disappeared.
Everyone should take a few minutes and google stroke symptoms. Getting treatment....sooner the better, can reverse stroke damage......OFF MY SOAP BOX now Dead Horse Smokealot
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Sorry to hear this, JimW, hope your wife does well and has no more problems.

What was the name of the medicine(s) prescribed by Dr. Leon?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 pm

That's not a soap box Jim...that's good, caring information to be passed on.
I, too, would like to know the name of the medicine for future reference.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:45 pm

is it 'etanercept'?
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/dec/24/shot-of-hope-injection-shows-promise-for-stroke/
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:50 pm

On the receipt from Farmacia Cristina, the descripcion says ALIN AMP 4 MG.
It is injected, the cost was 47 pesos minus discount of 9.4 net 37.60 pesos.

I'm not sure if this is an abbreviation, will update when we talk to MD.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:14 pm

espíritu del lago wrote:is it 'etanercept'?
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/dec/24/shot-of-hope-injection-shows-promise-for-stroke/

I teared up reading this. To be able to reverse some of the effects of a stroke so long after the fact, is miraculous. Thank you so much for posting this link.
Etanercept is the main ingredient in Enbrel (according to the article).

Alin is also a very potent anti-inflammatory. Main ingredient is Dexamethasone. The Amp. , I believe stands for "Ampulla" or "Ampule" in English...meaning that it is in a glass ampule...top snaps off and liquid inside is drawn into a syringe for injection. I found the articles in Spanish, then highlighted the text and right clicked and chose BING to translate.

Now, both of these products would appear to have side effects. IMHO, side effects are nothing compared to getting your life back.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 pm

So, Jim, your wife apparently had a neurological event of some kind. Stroke is a cerebral bleed or clot - whether she had a stroke or not would depend on the results of a CAT scan. Was she sent for a CAT scan?

And, this neurological event/stroke was treated with a steroidal (Dexamethasone) anti inflammatory??? Do I have this right???

Were there blood labs requested? Were there blood thinners prescribed? Is there any follow-up being done?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:58 am

Bells Palsy will present as a stroke. It can be treated with corticosteroid and antiviral meds.
http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/bells-palsy-topic-overview
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 am

One other question, JimW, has your wife been under the care of a neurologist? Is she currently?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:01 am

Trailrunner wrote:One other question, JimW, has your wife been under the care of a neurologist? Is she currently?

Sorry I don't have all the answers, Trailrunner. She had a cat scan....plus gawd knows what other tests, after her first stroke on Christmas eve, 2010. Approx., 36 hours in the hospital, In Oregon, and $18,000.00 USD later released. They put her on aspirin regimine, BP meds., plus something I am not familiar with, at that time. She has not been under care of neurologist since then. Now we gotta rethink approach, as this second occurance presented it self, much in the way of the first stroke. Blackeye
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Looking at Trailrunners link, Bell's palsy, medical term trigeminal neuralgia could actually be the problem, has Deb had any dental work recently which may have damaged the trigeminal nerve? Or any Dental infections?

Might want to check that out as well.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 pm

E-raq wrote:Looking at Trailrunners link, Bell's palsy, medical term trigeminal neuralgia could actually be the problem, has Deb had any dental work recently which may have damaged the trigeminal nerve? Or any Dental infections?

Might want to check that out as well.

Thanks Raq, but none of the above, other than normal cleaning, twice annually over the past 2 years.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Jim W wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:One other question, JimW, has your wife been under the care of a neurologist? Is she currently?

Sorry I don't have all the answers, Trailrunner. She had a cat scan....plus gawd knows what other tests, after her first stroke on Christmas eve, 2010. Approx., 36 hours in the hospital, In Oregon, and $18,000.00 USD later released. They put her on aspirin regimine, BP meds., plus something I am not familiar with, at that time. She has not been under care of neurologist since then. Now we gotta rethink approach, as this second occurance presented it self, much in the way of the first stroke. Blackeye

One thing I failed to mention, she didn't get the injection the 1st stroke for over 24 hours, and as a result, her right side is numb, has virtually no feeling..(naropathy...sp?)...resulting in many burns etc., fortunately has not lost muscle and appears perfectly normal physically. On the lighter side, I bought her a tatoo for her birthday, both eyes, now she doesn't poke herself trying to put on eye liner.... Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Aw, Jim, I'm sorry this has happened to your wife. Please don't let it happen again!

Find a reputable, well respected, neurologist in Guad and take her to see that person for a work-up. Bring all old records and medicines. Tell them about the recent episode.

One of you should know the answers to those questions! It's completely different here than in Oregon, you MUST take responsibility for your own health care. Or not. . .or pay the price.

Best not to expect these local clinics to save you either, patient assessment and medical work-up are foreign concepts to them.

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next