INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A morning ramble: The Reality of Telmex

+4
sundown
David
ferret
Talosian
8 posters

Go down

A morning ramble: The Reality of Telmex  Empty A morning ramble: The Reality of Telmex

Post by Talosian Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:25 am

I'm reminded of when I lived in the Caribbean and the phone company was Cable and Wireless (C&W). It was/is privately owned with no government regulations at all.

When VOIP came in, C&W said if anyone was caught using it, their service would be terminated. People asked how they could do that and the answer was simple: "It's out equipment." And if people complained too much, they could lose the service totally. C&W would say: "If you don't like our service, have lines brought in from Florida."

TelMex is, to the best of my knowledge, privately owned and there is no government regulation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So the bottom line was with C&W and is with TelMex: If you don't like the way TelMex operates; if it doesn't abide by its promises, you can always drop the service.

To TelMex, each subscriber is less than a grain of sand on all the beaches in the world; if gone, they won't be missed.

I have found though, at the service on the street level, the workers can be very helpful and I always manifest my appreciation to them for their help.

Thanks.

Discussing the issues further is, IMO, mental masturbation.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : All over the field.

Back to top Go down

A morning ramble: The Reality of Telmex  Empty Re: A morning ramble: The Reality of Telmex

Post by ferret Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:37 am

That was foreplay. What's the rest of the story? :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

A morning ramble: The Reality of Telmex  Empty Re: A morning ramble: The Reality of Telmex

Post by David Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:17 am

There IS government regulation of the telecommunication market in Mexico.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:39 am

Millions of customers to be totally satisfied, is an impossible situation.
in the 13 yrs, that I have lived here, temendous progress has been made.
But, I am in total agreement that competition makes businesses more
sensitive to customer complaints and the business better.

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:43 am

One can't compare C&W to Telmex. C&W has no competetion. Telmex has
telecable for you to go to for internet.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 am

And of course in Guadalajara and throughout Mexico there are numerous other Internet service providers. You can see the billboard ads just driving into the city.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DonPito Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:58 am

Zedinmexico wrote:One can't compare C&W to Telmex. C&W has no competetion. Telmex has

Z

Cable & Wireless (now called LIME in the Caribbean) has a lot of competition from Digicel, Orange and others.

DonPito
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 pm

My association with C&W was from 1991 to 2001.

I would appreciate knowing what governmental regulations cover TelMex.

And yes, there are other options for some people but the majority still need/use a landline.

My big issue with TelMex is the "up to" speed thing.

Just a ramble.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Misread your OP. Sensed that it was referring to Internet service, not phone service. Corrected.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:42 pm

Telmex is a 1000 times better than it was in '96. Dial up was the norm IF you had a functioning telephone line. We used to cringe when we saw a Telmex truck parked at the nearest Junction Box because we knew that by the time we got home, the telephone that had been working would be dead as a doornail.
FYI, there was ONE telephone in San Pancho, Nayarit in '99. By the time we had built a house there in 2005, there were DSL lines with high (for Mexico) speed internet and a phone in nearly every home.
Enjoy...it ain't perfect and it's probably not what you're used to but it's a hell of an improvement over what it was.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Ferret, well said.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 am

I agree, though it could be better if Carlos Slim cared to improve it.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:05 am

In the 8 years I've been here I've seen continuous improvement.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:21 am

Telmex continues to improve. The OP hasn't been around long enough to make any kind of valid comparison. Our first phone line cost the equivalent of 1000usd and if the line went dead it could take days before service was restored.

Long distance to the US was 2usd during the day and 1usd at night. Now we have unlimited calls to the US included in our basic package.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:38 am

DonPito wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:One can't compare C&W to Telmex. C&W has no competetion. Telmex has

Z

Cable & Wireless (now called LIME in the Caribbean) has a lot of competition from Digicel, Orange and others.

Where we were in Belize is was C&W or nothing but this was five years ago. Good to hear competetion as the rates were ridiculous.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:17 am

I think it's quite impressive to see and enjoy the advancements in installations and technology from TelMex over the last decade. As mentioned, we've gone from dialup to true high speed, which has doubled every couple of years for no price increase, along with massive decreases in long distance charges. And all this here in the middle of Mexico.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down