INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Affordable Travel Club /input in writing an article

+2
bimini6
Sherman
6 posters

Go down

Affordable Travel Club /input in writing an article Empty Affordable Travel Club /input in writing an article

Post by Sherman Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:33 am

I belong to a travel club called 'Affordable Travel Club.' It's really a network of people providing rooms to stay, with breakfast. The website is www.affordabletravelclub.net

I was introduced to it by a friend who used to live in Mirasol, but has now returned to the US. I used the club in Mazatlan and had such a good experience, I joined the club. I've also used it when traveling in San Antonio and Austin TX. Again, a good experience.

So, I'm doing an article for the Guadalajara Reporter. The article will be limited to 500 words.
What I'm hoping to get here are some thoughts about what you might find valuable to put in the article, other than just the 'nuts and bolts'?

Filoli cheers

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

Affordable Travel Club /input in writing an article Empty Re: Affordable Travel Club /input in writing an article

Post by Sherman Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Here's the article, which will be published in whole or in part:

Have you found that traveling and ‘saving money’ goes hand-in-hand? If so, maybe you can share your secret! The next best thing is traveling ‘affordably.’ Lodging can be the most costly part of traveling.

Two years ago, a friend in Mirasol asked if I wanted to go to Mazatlan with her. My first question was, “how much is it going to cost?”

“The bus to Mazatlan with our ‘young age’ discount is not much and our lodging is $200 pesos a night with a ‘travel club’ member.” HMMM??? I said, “$200 pesos a night!” “Yes, and that includes breakfast.” Price-range was right. So, off we went to Mazatlan!

I had no idea what to expect! But, we were graciously welcomed into someone’s home. Great location, a beautiful view of the ocean, with our own room and bath. We found we had lots in common, including cooking. Not only did we get a ‘tasty’ full breakfast, we also had a gourmet dinner waiting for us at the end of our day. And, we saw them again when they visited Ajijic.

In May of this year, I again stayed with ‘travel club’ members, this time in the US, in San Antonio and Austin, TX. As a result of more good experiences, I’m renewing my membership for another year!

Even though my friend has returned to the US, she is still a member. Sally commented, “I originally joined ATC to save money, but what I like best is that I have made some truly wonderful and lasting friendships. I've hosted many people and stayed in numerous homes in both Mexico and the US. There are very few people I've met through the club who I didn't really enjoy. It's become a wonderful part of my life.”

The travel club is for those 40 and over. So, many of the members are retired. Most of the members are located in the US and Canada, but there’s also many members located worldwide, including Mexico.

There is an annual membership fee, which includes a directory of places to stay. Membership assumes you are willing to host as well. Your information will be published in the directory. The stays are limited to usually 3 nights. A member can also bring a guest..…, which got me to Mazatlan on a very affordable, and fun, visit.

See www.affordabletravelclub.net for more information.

Filoli

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Affordable Travel Club /input in writing an article Empty Re: Affordable Travel Club /input in writing an article

Post by bimini6 Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:45 am

Are there any that accept pets, and if so, is it stated. I know a lot of of have pets that travel with us. Some people will not go without their pets.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:21 am

I will be joining! Thanks for posting.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi 'bimini6 .....
sorry for the long delay in posting a response to your note.

I do not know if pets are welcome. I would suggest you going to the website and send a note to the club contact person. I suspect it would depend on the individual home owner.

Good luck,
Filoli

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:30 am

I'm sure that would be of interest to many people but I, personally don't even like staying with friends much less strangers.

For hotels in most areas of the US (not usually that great for NYC) and especially London, I can get ridiculously low prices for hotels bidding on Priceline for 3, 4 or 5 star hotels. This site shows recent winning bids:

http://betterbidding.com/

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:20 am

I'm with Carry on that one. I like the nice impersonaity and privacy of hotels.
Thanks for the link.

We're all different. I have friends whose idea of heaven is a cruise where they meet lots of new people; many of whom they keep in touch with later. Others prefer to travel alone. I like the IDEA of the travel club, though, since it allows people to go places and see things while on a limited retirement budget.
Viva la Difference!
mariachi

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by steevemartin1 Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 am

Ok right are they offer any kind all inclusive holidays packages.This is the right thing to do if this is available.

steevemartin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down