INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info. needed buying new T.V

+17
Carry Bean
mexilady
ComputerGuy
joec
MexicoPete
Mad_Max
CheenaGringo
sparks
Jim W
georgetoo
Hensley
frkshnwa
E-raq
CanuckBob
ferret
gringal
RoofBob
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Info. needed buying new T.V - Page 2 Empty Re: Info. needed buying new T.V

Post by joec Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 am

I'll put in my 10 pesos worth on flat screen TV'S. First I would probably buy an LED over and LCD because it's newer technology. You should look at how much wattage the TV draws too, although it is small compared to the old sets.

For manufacturers, I prefer SONY, as I have always had good success with them. If I were buying a TV, like I will when we move to the US, I would consider SONY and Samsung. Although not from my experience an LG is good too. My friend from Canada has two 42" LG's for 7 years with no problems.

If buying a SONY TV the ONLY place to buy it is from SONY on Ave Guadalupe in Guadalajara. They are cheaper than Costco and have the newest models (sometimes Costco doesn't) and will come out and set it up for you for free. How I know that Sony in GDL is cheaper is that I've sent 4 or 5 friends there to buy and they compared prices with Costco. I would not buy from Walmart as they won't stand in back of it and who knows what's going to happen to Best Buy. The company may go out of business soon. If you don't want SONY, then go to Costco for another brand.

For SONY in Guadalajara, tell Oscar that John from Los Arroyos sent you. They also have the best repair shop around. The TV repair people at Lakeside cannot compare to them.
SONY SERVICE SHOP - Best SONY Dealer
FACTORY AUTHORIZED SALES & SERVICE - Best to repair ANY TV
Talk to: OSCAR (Sales - Speaks English)
Ave. Guadalupe # 850 - Col. Chapalita - Guadalajara
It's on the right side about 5 blocks up after you turn off Lazaro Cadenas
Telephones/FAX: 01 333 121 6483 OR 01 333 647 3514

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mexilady Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 am

When we bought our 42inch Sony one and a half years ago we priced Sony with Oscar and at Sears. We found the prices at Sears much better. They are always having sales so you need to ask the salesman what the price is. We had also checked Best Buy and Costco. In both places we found that their models were older ones and the cost usually higher.

mexilady

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:57 am

90% of this thread may as well have been in Russian for all I understood. Suspect

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 am

Carry Bean wrote:90% of this thread may as well have been in Russian for all I understood. Suspect

I agree, as most of the other stuff could only be understood by a computer geek.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 am

I just brought a projector back from the states so my whole wall will be the screen. Was cheap, under $300US!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 am

I agree, as most of the other stuff could only be understood by a computer geek.
That's okay. If you are unfamiliar with USB and movie-download terminology, you won't be interested anyway.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 am

Sony is not the name it once was. Samsung is now at the top, followed by LG, although LGs quality control seems to be slipping. Vizio is getting a helluva reputation in the U.S. and Canada for excellent quality at low prices.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Jus got back from Wally's. Samsung 32" 1080 pix and all the plug in do-dads 8,000 pesos. Now the search for best price and vendor. Thanks all for your help, it is appreciated.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:08 pm

That's very expensive, RB. It must be an LED LCD. These are excellent quality and super-thin. But I am happy with my LCD 51", which is super quality and I paid $8500 for at WalMart over a year ago, on sale. DVDs and USBs are top-notch sharp, and this will do until the Ultra HiDef TVs come along at reasonable prices... .
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 pm

HelperGuy:

We have two Vizio's purchased at Costco and have been extremely pleased with this up and coming brand. I believe that they do play a marketing game where they sell certain models to certain retailers to minimize price comparison shopping. On a recent trip to Costco, the Sharp 80" really grabbed my attention with incredible picture quality but it is too big for our living room.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:19 pm

I have a Vizio soundbar, cheaper than all the name brands, and apart from the indicator lights dieing on it, the sound is superb. I have seen nothing but good about Vizio's stuff, and their return policy, in particular because they make deals with WalMart and CostCo.

I would LOVE that 80" Sharp, but the cost is in the stratosphere, even if I could con myself into believing I have the space for it...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Ah, good info. HelperGuy, tx.. Like I said, I don't know Richard about electronicis hence my laborous quest to find what I think we want. So here's where I'm at now; Samsung 32"(min), 1080 pix and the plug ins. Just looking for best price and vendor now eh?
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 pm

RB: All good. If 32" is a good size for you, then go for it. That particular set, as you say, has all the bells and whistles. You could get a larger set for that price, however, with many of the same features. Understand that most people cannot see the difference between 1080i and 720p, and that most of the shows you get via cable or satellite in HD are 720p or less anyway.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 pm

I'm told (by a local) that the real sales prices on this stuff begin at the END of January. So if you can wait...

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:38 pm

HelperGuy wrote:RB: All good. If 32" is a good size for you, then go for it. That particular set, as you say, has all the bells and whistles. You could get a larger set for that price, however, with many of the same features. Understand that most people cannot see the difference between 1080i and 720p, and that most of the shows you get via cable or satellite in HD are 720p or less anyway.
The 720p sounds fine and waiting until the end of January a definite maybe. Thanks, it's nice to hone this thing down.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:25 pm

HelperGuy wrote:RB: All good. If 32" is a good size for you, then go for it. That particular set, as you say, has all the bells and whistles. You could get a larger set for that price, however, with many of the same features. Understand that most people cannot see the difference between 1080i and 720p, and that most of the shows you get via cable or satellite in HD are 720p or less anyway.

What do those two things mean 1080i vs. 720p? I'm not up on this stuff.

BTW, folks, I wouldn't buy Vizio just because it's cheap. They are new to the market compared to other brands.

I doubt you could tell what brand of TV you're looking at, if you covered the name, if you're playing a DVD on it.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:53 pm

John:

You have been out of the US 11 years and the market has passed you by! Your comment about VIZIO is totally without merit as it is the top selling brand in the US and J.D. Power ranks it #1:
"IRVINE, CA - September 19, 2012 – VIZIO received J.D. Power and Associates’ “Highest in Customer Satisfaction with HDTVs” ranking, further enforcing the brand’s strong mission to provide customers with unparalleled, quality technology and best-in-class support. In J.D. Power and Associates’ 2012 HDTV Satisfaction Report SM, VIZIO solidified the award by ranking highest across six factors including performance and reliability, ease of operating, competitiveness of the price paid, styling and appearance, variety of features and warranty.

Founded on the principal that consumers deserve to own best-in-class technology, VIZIO first emerged on the HDTV scene in 2002. As a relative newcomer to the consumer electronics category, VIZIO has spent the past 10 years providing consumers across America with advanced technology, superior performance and new innovations at unmatched values......

http://store.vizio.com/news/vizio-receives-highest-in-customer-satifcation-with-hdtcs-ranking-from-jd-power-and-associates/?SID=f1leg3nqnt5v9j2nldk5k7kkm6

I would remind you that much of this same information was provided to you in a previous discussion and backed up at that time with CONSUMER REPORTS rankings. Why is it that you continue to create fact from your opinions when obviously you have not stayed up on current technologies? 720 vs 1080 technology has been around for years but you continue to deny understanding.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Well I'm no geek, so for the technologically challenged here FWIW is my advice. Our T.V., flat screen, with ports, 32" was 4500 pesos at Wally world. Sony, works just fine, and trust me it has had one helluva workout the last 4 months. O.K. so it was on sale, however came with a one month store guarantee, and another one from Sony.

According to the big guy, the very best price for T.V.'s is at Bodega Aurrera in Jocotepec. Another good choice for T.V.'s is Best Buy in Guadalajara. Ohhh man do I love that store! Be sure and check that it comes with an HDMI (sp) port. Then you need the cable.

Now, if you really want a top of the line techno t.v. gadget. Get yourself an Apple T.V. This puppy works like a computer, well, cause that's what it is. Helper guy can put more info on here regarding this. With this and a Itunes account you're good to go for just about anything you want. That includes almost all T.V. series. Football, hockey and whatever else you guys want. Me, I'm into chick flicks, and would rather swallow hemlock than watch any kind of game on the tube. Netflix is the go to deal, and runs about 8.97 CDN. a month.

How do I know this, well, our probably soon to be grand son in law, is an amateur geek. He gave us the whole scoop on this when we were in Canada.

A feminine opinion. Nobody needs a super huge T.V., 32" is just fine, and fits into most entertainment centers. Those great big super humongous t.v.'s are just a waste of wall space. DO NOT START HURLING ROTTON TOMATOES. I do realize that this is sacrilege.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:56 pm

There are, of course, very clear and understandable descriptions of the differences in definition all over Google, joec. When I went to college to study TV and Film, things were much different.

I will not hurl a tomato at my friend E-raq unless we are discussing how to cook......... but the larger TV brings me closer to the theatre experience, and to me that's ALWAYS what it's been about. There is a mystique to the movies and the business that I've had in my blood since my childhood, and but for circumstance I would be Steven Spielberg (or perhaps Jim Carey) right now.

In fact, if you knew the equipment I keep at home just to make fine popcorn, you would understand my obsession.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:21 pm

E-raq wrote:Well I'm no geek, so for the technologically challenged here FWIW is my advice. Our T.V., flat screen, with ports, 32" was 4500 pesos at Wally world. Sony, works just fine, and trust me it has had one helluva workout the last 4 months. O.K. so it was on sale, however came with a one month store guarantee, and another one from Sony.

According to the big guy, the very best price for T.V.'s is at Bodega Aurrera in Jocotepec. Another good choice for T.V.'s is Best Buy in Guadalajara. Ohhh man do I love that store! Be sure and check that it comes with an HDMI (sp) port. Then you need the cable.

Now, if you really want a top of the line techno t.v. gadget. Get yourself an Apple T.V. This puppy works like a computer, well, cause that's what it is. Helper guy can put more info on here regarding this. With this and a Itunes account you're good to go for just about anything you want. That includes almost all T.V. series. Football, hockey and whatever else you guys want. Me, I'm into chick flicks, and would rather swallow hemlock than watch any kind of game on the tube. Netflix is the go to deal, and runs about 8.97 CDN. a month.

How do I know this, well, our probably soon to be grand son in law, is an amateur geek. He gave us the whole scoop on this when we were in Canada.

A feminine opinion. Nobody needs a super huge T.V., 32" is just fine, and fits into most entertainment centers. Those great big super humongous t.v.'s are just a waste of wall space. DO NOT START HURLING ROTTON TOMATOES. I do realize that this is sacrilege.

WRONG LOL Consider mater tossed.
A couple of points.

If you have an HDTV 16/9 format set and you watch 4/3 mode on it the size of the screen becomes much smaller.
I think 42" is as small as I would go for decent sized 4/3 mode.

Same thing applies when watching 16/9 superwide presentation in letter box format for SD pictures like TCM on SD
showing cinemascope movie.

A 52" set allow me to put people a little ways farther away from the set especially since I use a line doubler for DVD
output that looks like Blu ray.

And last but not least and I am sure HelperGuy will agree is cause we want it BIG!!!!!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:44 pm

For the TV techies, LG just announced a 55" OLED TV:
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/lg-finally-selling-first-large-screen-oled-hdtv-10-000-1C7776739

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:12 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:HelperGuy:

We have two Vizio's purchased at Costco and have been extremely pleased with this up and coming brand. I believe that they do play a marketing game where they sell certain models to certain retailers to minimize price comparison shopping. On a recent trip to Costco, the Sharp 80" really grabbed my attention with incredible picture quality but it is too big for our living room.

Vizio is a superb marketing company. However, they don't manufacture anything. Everything they sell is made by an OEM mfgr in Taiwan, China, and/or Mexico.

BTW, we have two SONY Bravia TVs, both made in Mexico. I've been as happy with them as I have been with other SONY products over the last few decades. There is an excellent SONY store in Guadalajara for sales and service.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Ah, because so many American electronics companies make their stuff themselves, especially in America...

And there is nothing wrong with Sony, as far as their TV quality goes, but they used to be good enough that they could command premium prices for their gear. No longer: LG and Samsung make better quality gear, that's all. Sony have fallen way behind; the company is in turmoil; they are divesting themselves of many of their product arms; and are cutting their TV production down to almost nil, to focus on their areas of strength.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:35 pm

I bought a Sharp 60" lcd hd/3d a few months ago @ Costco,(Phoenix). Zed recommended consideration, and picture quality is better than the 32"lcd hd Sony, Samsung and MY 42" lG lcd hd.

Guess it comes down to "eye of viewer" LOL
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Yep, plus of course it depends on the model under each brand name. They all have their less-expensive, and their more-expensive lineup.

And here, we often end up with last year's models...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:45 pm

The Sharp, don't remember model # HG, but cost was just South of $2000.00 In September 2012.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next