INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking car with expired Canadian plates to US

4 posters

Go down

Taking car with expired Canadian plates to US Empty Taking car with expired Canadian plates to US

Post by RachelM Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:02 pm

I have a Canadian plated car which is legal here in Mexico and I would like to drive it up to the US to do some shopping. Does anyone here know if there is there any way a Canadian citizen with a Canadian car can purchase US insurance

RachelM

Back to top Go down

Taking car with expired Canadian plates to US Empty Re: Taking car with expired Canadian plates to US

Post by Jim W Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:54 pm

Your best bet is to contact your insurance agent in Canada. Odds are with expired plates, and no US address.....probably a no go. Good Luck!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Taking car with expired Canadian plates to US Empty Re: Taking car with expired Canadian plates to US

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:54 pm

Jim W wrote:Your best bet is to contact your insurance agent in Canada. Odds are with expired plates, and no US address.....probably a no go. Good Luck!

I solved the problem by having my sister put the car on her insurance.
My situation was going from Mexico to US. I don't know if the plate
thing is important. In US we can get a temp travel permit in most states.
Hope this helps. Note I know nothing about Canadian rules.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 pm

RachelM wrote:I have a Canadian plated car which is legal here in Mexico and I would like to drive it up to the US to do some shopping. Does anyone here know if there is there any way a Canadian citizen with a Canadian car can purchase US insurance

A Canadian citizen with a Canadian plated car in Mexico should retain their Canadian issued insurance policy on that vehicle if they ever intend to drive it into the US from Mexico at any time in the future. While in Mexico you should suspend the liability and collision coverage but retain the comprehensive portion of the policy. Then when you are planning to enter the US, contact your Canadian insurance issuer and reactivate the liability portion of the policy for your duration of stay in the US with it.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down