INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS and/or PLB recs for Mexico adventurers

3 posters

Go down

GPS and/or PLB recs for Mexico adventurers Empty GPS and/or PLB recs for Mexico adventurers

Post by merry Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:38 pm

As you may know I do a lot of trailriding around the lake and up in the mountains. My portable Garmin GPS for cars has become antiquated and is barely adequate for driving in Guadalajara, it only shows the main roads and everything is off by a good 50 feet. So, for example, it looks like I am riding through the lake when I am actually high and dry on the shore. The specialized battery has a ridiculously short life and it takes a technical degree plus leisure time to replace it. It's difficult to see in sunlight, which is when I am usually out riding. I can't upload my trips to the web to share with others. If it's cloudy it can't figure out where it is. My SO doesn't know if I'm alive or dead. Wah, wah, wah wah wah.

Long story short, I've wheedled a replacement from my SO for Christmas! Woo hoo! Hikers, boaters, rock climbers, horseback riders, off-roaders, or other adventurers... can you recommend a GPS and/or PLB (Personal Locator Beacon, i.e. international 911 rescue) that is accurate for Mexico and that removes as much of the whining above as possible? I think after all that is his intent. ;-)

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

GPS and/or PLB recs for Mexico adventurers Empty Re: GPS and/or PLB recs for Mexico adventurers

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Merry:

We have been using a Garmin 785T since August of 2009 and have logged many thousands of miles in Mexico using this device. I will grant you that the 2009 maps had gaps and some faulty information. However, we were pleasantly surprised when we found mapping for streets in villages scattered through Michoacan.

Just prior to our trip this past August, I downloaded an update of North American maps that included Mexico. There was a noticeable improvement in the maps and they even managed to eliminate some of the prior confusion caused by the unit trying to direct you the wrong way on a one way street. During our 2600 miles, we did a fair amount of driving in Guadalajara, Tlaquepaque and Tonala with much better mapping. Actual address numbers can still be a bit problematic but we find the unit recognizing a few more address numbers. We also noticed that the new updates included many more "points of interest" (hotels, stores, restaurants, museums, etc.)

From reports that I have read, many people are purchasing units on price alone and disregarding the advanced features found in more advanced units. Any Garmin unit with a "LM" after the model number gives you lifetime free map updates up to 4 times per year. Units with a "LT" after the model number theoretically provide you with traffic reports but these can be spotty in the US and non-existent in Mexico - so basically a waste of money.

We have a carry case that we use if we take the unit out of the vehicle and use while walking around. When doing so, we save to our favorites list store locations that we might have a tendency to forget, favorite parking lots and most anywhere else we might want to return to on a future trip.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

GPS and/or PLB recs for Mexico adventurers Empty Re: GPS and/or PLB recs for Mexico adventurers

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:11 pm

I would recommend a "Mexico purchased" Garmin unit. They have a lot of different models so you would need to go see which one you prefer. I have an older Garmin that works just fine. It has 99.9% of the roads and has only led me astray once or twice down here and it doesn't show me driving in the lake.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 pm

CB:

For whatever reason, your unit and mine will show you driving on water when driving the cuota between Morelia and Salamanca across Lake Cuitzeo. It isn't because that cuota is new as we have been driving that route since 2008. On the other hand, the Arco Norte was completed much more recently and the entire length is on the mapping.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Geesh I heard you could walk on water....but drive on water???
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Well dang, the unit I'm complaining about is a Garmin, though I've probably had it about 4 years. I was hoping some new company had come out with a super-duper model that also makes breakfast, cost being no object.

I've been to a GPS store in Guad, it was small but stuffed to the ceiling with various models. They also have a website and do reply to emails. http://www.gpsstock.com/

Still hoping for more opinions, I know there must be some out there.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Merry:

Just because your older Garmin appears to be having problems certainly isn't an indicator of what they offer today! Granted I am a believer but from all that I have read they still seem to be leading the pack. I looked at the link you provided and would suggest comparing prices and features on: www.garmin.com or on Amazon. I have seen way too many reports of limitations with TomTom units and Magellin unit conversations have been virtually nil. I would personally lean towards the best featured unit being offered by Garmin with the best pricing and a 5" screen!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down