INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post Sandy update

+5
Jim W
CheenaGringo
Carry Bean
joec
itsme
9 posters

Go down

Post Sandy update Empty Post Sandy update

Post by itsme Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Just found out members of my family have been informed they will NOT have electric before Thanksgiving. One needs internet to run business, church is trying to set something up, the other is elderly. They have to travel to find a place to charge cell phone. Blackeye

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post Sandy update Empty Re: Post Sandy update

Post by joec Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:52 pm

itsme wrote:Just found out members of my family have been informed they will NOT have electric before Thanksgiving. One needs internet to run business, church is trying to set something up, the other is elderly. They have to travel to find a place to charge cell phone. Blackeye

WOW! That really sucks. Where do they live.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Long Island, south shore. Getting hit again tonight, below freezing, no heat.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:49 pm

How miserable. Hope they get some help soon.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Just heard on the news that 22,000 homes who had their power previously restored have now lost it once again because of the new storm. One has to give credit to all of the power crews from all over the Country who drove their rigs to the East Coast and are probably sleep deprived at this stage. And now any progress made will backslide!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Don't forget to thank FEMA.....No water or generators
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Jim:

Not trying to start an argument but do we have any idea of how much water or generators were even available to FEMA given the sheer numbers affected and magnitude of the damage? I know I haven't seen anything in the way of concrete numbers but a whole bunch of second guessing.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:24 pm

We know they had no water for New York, and it took a week as they put it out for bid.....after storm hit! Not to mention, they had gas lined up, and no way to pump without power....FEMA remains a cluster F@@K! It's GWB's fault!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 pm

itsme wrote:Just found out members of my family have been informed they will NOT have electric before Thanksgiving. One needs internet to run business, church is trying to set something up, the other is elderly. They have to travel to find a place to charge cell phone. Blackeye
Say itsme, we had a cancellation (until Dec 1st) and would be happy to make available our Agave apartment for your family at no cost. The apartment is our largest 2 bd. and includes weekly maid service. There are some pics of the Agave apartment in the following photo set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7341028@N04/ We hope they can make it and would love to have them.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:56 am

RoofBob wrote:
Say itsme, we had a cancellation (until Dec 1st) and would be happy to make available our Agave apartment for your family at no cost. The apartment is our largest 2 bd. and includes weekly maid service. There are some pics of the Agave apartment in the following photo set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7341028@N04/ We hope they can make it and would love to have them.

Wow, Roof Bob, you're one top notch guy for sure.

Cheers,
raq
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:20 am

Very nice, Mr. and Mrs. RB. Muy amable.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 am

RoofBob wrote:

That is extremely generous of you! Thank you so much. Both homes were evacuated again last night. Here is some info from one of them, a single mother of a 10 yr old boy:

"We didn't lose the house, thank God, but I did lose my office and all my equipment. I moved so much to my garage but got water their also. The water also lifted my deck which is now tilted. Sadly the house is unlivable without power or heat to dry it. The mildew and mold is still big issue. And yet others on my street lost their entire living area so we got off easy compared to them."

"Hi all. Sleeping at a friends house tonight. heat!!!!! So nice. Last night 32 and soooo cold. Tomorrow another storm coming. Might have 3 foot swells. My biggest concern is my neighbors huge tree which is already half out of the ground. If this storm comes tomorrow this tree will land 50% on her house 25% In between and 25% on my house (my bedroom in particular). She can't find anyone who can cut it before Saturday .
Our area looks like a war zone with police, troopers and even the army patrolling it. We have no heat, electric, internet or even gas. (Did find a station today and only waited 1 hour to tank up. )
last i heard, They hope to get us electric by thanksgiving.
So far we Have made a lot of progress. Have 3 rooms totally emptied out and walls cut down. The place is fully gutted. Need to change all the electrical outlets and maybe the wiring too.
With help, I got most everything written down and photographed though not sure why since flood won't cover my contents. Long story.
With no heat the walls can't dry. Without electric we can't get heat. If we don't get heat the pipes might freeze. Generators are way too expensive and require gas which is difficult to find.
And as rough as I think this is for us I am reminded of those who lost so much more. And yet they still are kind and caring to others.
People have been driving Around with home made chili (hot) and coffee, all out of their own pocket. Companies have been great too. Nationwide gave out trash bags, gloves (after I cleaned out the sewer backup), masks, Purcell. Little Debbie has been giving out great snacks (workers really loved those) etc... The outpouring of the community is incredible.
Would love to find a hotel to sleep in but none available.
Will try to post more when I can."

"It is true that flooded homes that sustained extreme flooding which submerged electrical panels, wires and outlets will need an electrical inspection and inspection certificate before we can re-energize. Customers who need the certificate must reach out to a licensed electrician. Once the inspection agency has contacted LIPA that the building meets the requirements, a LIPA representative will be dispatched to restore the power. We do not know how long this may take."

"Woot!!! My neighbors tree made it thou this last storm!!! Her HUGE tree is half out of the ground leaning 50% into her house 25% between us and 25% on mine. Town guys were in my street and I showed them. They agreed it was going to fall and might not make it thru nor eastern and gave me phone number to call when it hit my house. Well that's no good. I wanted it down but ...... Spent hours yesterday removing all valuables from my bedroom. But tree made it!!!!!!! So relieved. Town is going door to door to inspect homes before putting electric back on due to so many fires. They don't tell us when they are coming and our homes are barely 40 degrees indoors. So nobody wants to just sit and wait"

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:01 pm

This is so tragic. I too have two spare rooms to share. One has a double bed and my bedroom has a king size bed. I hurt my back last year and sleep in a chair. I would be more than happy to share. They would not need to pay for food. My question is, do they have a passport, and means to fly themselves to Mexico? not a problem as I am sure we can all pitch in to pay for the airline fares. My heart goes out to you.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down