INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Satellite System and TV Brand would you Purchase in the US?

+6
MexicoPete
Jim W
espĂ­ritu del lago
cosalamx
CheenaGringo
johninajijic
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Satellite System and TV Brand would you Purchase in the US? Empty What Satellite System and TV Brand would you Purchase in the US?

Post by johninajijic Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:50 pm

If you were living in the States would you choose DirecTV or DISH Network based on your experience?

If you were buying a new TV, would you buy LED or 3 D?

And what brand would you buy based on experience?

It is our intention to buy all new electronics when we move, TV, Blu Ray player and Home Theater Receiver. We will be selling everything here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

What Satellite System and TV Brand would you Purchase in the US? Empty Re: What Satellite System and TV Brand would you Purchase in the US?

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:40 pm

With all of the money you will have from the sale of your palace, LED and 3D are so 2011! You really only have one choice on the horizon and guess what - Sony is one of the first:
"Eyes On With 4K TVs From Sony, Panasonic"[b]:

"BERLIN - 3D TV? That's so 2011. 4K technology was the talk of IFA, with LG, Sony, and Toshiba all showing off 84-inch 4K TVs. We stopped by Sony's booth this afternoon to take a look, and also checked out the 20-inch 4K TVs Panasonic had on display.

4K sets are four times the resolution of a standard HDTV. Current HDTVs display content at 1080p (1,920 by 1,080 pixels), or slightly lower 1080i or 720p resolution. 4K video is the next step in high definition, with a resolution of approximately 4,000-by-2,000 to 4,000-by-3,000, quadrupling or sextupling the number of pixels in the picture.........

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409227,00.asp

Nothing but the latest and greatest for the nouveau riche![b]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

What Satellite System and TV Brand would you Purchase in the US? Empty Re: What Satellite System and TV Brand would you Purchase in the US?

Post by johninajijic Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm

CG - Good info, but they're about 10 times the price they'll be in 2 to 3 years just like LCD and LED.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cosalamx Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:21 pm

johninajijic wrote:CG - Good info, but they're about 10 times the price they'll be in 2 to 3 years just like LCD and LED.

Which is likely when you might be in the market.

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by espĂ­ritu del lago Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Direct tv positively.Vizio have had no problems plan on buying another for man cave.
espĂ­ritu del lago
espĂ­ritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Direct TV and A Sharp....took Zed's advice, checked em out....got a 60"....dreading going back to Chapala next week to watch 42 LG.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:09 pm

espĂ­ritu del lago wrote:Direct tv positively.Vizio have had no problems plan on buying another for man cave.

I would be afraid of Vizio since it's a newer name. I have always had SONY with excellent luck, bit Zed said SONY is going downhill.

A 50 or 52" would be ideal for us. We already have a 57" Sony rear projection.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Vizio is the #1 selling brand in the US. We have 2 units purchased at Costco and are quite happy with their performance.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:32 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Vizio is the #1 selling brand in the US. We have 2 units purchased at Costco and are quite happy with their performance.

How long have they been on the market and what is their performance record? They could be # 1 because they are cheaper, no?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:37 pm

They have been on the market since 2002/10 years. FYI:

"VIZIO Tops U.S. LCD HDTV Shipments for Q1 2012

- VIZIO ranks #1 in U.S. LCD HDTV shipments* with an 18.5% market share, leading the way in the nation’s most popular 32” and 40/42” size classes

- Winning beyond the TV, VIZIO is #1 in sound bar shipments**, with a 27.5% market share and a lineup that includes the best-selling sound bar in the U.S.

Irvine, CA – June 20, 2012 — VIZIO, America’s #1 LCD HDTV Company*, announced today that it outperformed the industry as the number one shipper of LCD HDTVs in Q1 2012 in the U.S. with a market share of 18.5%*. With a brand recognized by 8 out of 10 Americans**, VIZIO’s leadership extends beyond LCD HDTVs and into the fast-growing sound bar category where VIZIO is #1 with a 27.5% market share***.

VIZIO has remained in the upper echelon of LCD TV sales over the past three years, ranking in the top two brands every quarter in U.S. LCD shipments since Q1’09. The brand’s substantial install base is backed by an award- winning U.S.-based customer service team in Sioux City, South Dakota. The VIZIO Customer Service team recently took home four Stevie Awards for Sales and Customer Service excellence.

“VIZIO’s focus has always been to make the best technology accessible to all consumers,” said Matt McRae, VIZIO Chief Technology Officer. “Today’s announcement of VIZIO’s #1 rank in both LCD HDTVs and sound bars validates our approach and demonstrates that VIZIO products continue to resonate with the U.S. consumer.”

VIZIO’s LCD market share has increased by 3.5% Q/Q for an industry-leading 18.5%*, keeping the brand ranked in the top two in U.S. LCD shipments over the past three years.

“VIZIO made strong market share gains in Q1 2012 to take the #1 position in US LCD shipments as a result of their dominance in America’s most popular sizes, 32” and 40/42”,” stated Tom Morrod, Senior Principal Analyst for TV Technology at IHS iSuppli.

IHS iSuppli Q2 2012 Shipment & Forecast Report for Q1 2012 LCD Shipments
(Ranking by Unit Shipments in Thousands)

Rank Brand Unit Shipments Market Share Market Share Change Q/Q
1 VIZIO 1,214 18.5% 3.5%
2 SAMSUNG 1,159 17.6% -5.3%
3 LGE 657 10.0% -2.0%
4 SONY 434 6.6% -1.1%
5 SANYO 346 5.3% 0.1%
6 TOSHIBA 341 5.2% -2.4%
7 SHARP 288 4.4% 0.4%
8 PANASONIC 81 1.2% -0.5%
9 HITACHI 67 1.0% 0.1%
OTHERS 1,984 30.2% +7.2%

Source: IHS iSuppli

The first quarter results from Quixel Research show that consumers are seeking innovation and value when purchasing HDTVs, with VIZIO leading the industry in both LED lit and CCFL lit LCD HDTV best sellers**.

Quixel Research Market Update:
Top 5 LED Lit LCD HDTV Best Sellers by Units in U.S. for Q1 2012

Manufacturer Product Size Resolution Light Source List Price
VIZIO E220VA 22 HD 1080 LED $199.00
VIZIO E261VA 26 HD 720 LED $259.00
Samsung UN22D5003 22 HD 1080 LED $249.00
VIZIO E190VA 19 HD 720 LED $159.00
Sharp LC60LE640U 60 HD 1080 LED $1,799.00
Source: Quixel Research®

Top 5 CCFL Lit LCD HDTV Best Sellers by Units in U.S. for Q1 2012

Manufacturer Product Size Resolution Light Source List Price
VIZIO E321VL 32 HD 720 CCFL $299.00
Samsung LN32D403 32 HD 720 CCFL $329.00
Toshiba 32C120U 32 HD 720 CCFL $349.00
VIZIO E371VL 37 HD 1080 CCFL $429.00
Phillips 32PFL3506/F7 32 HD 720 CCFL $279.00

VIZIO remains the leader in sound bar sales with the U.S. best-selling VSB200 shipping more units than any other sound bar on the market. The VIZIO VHT215 also remains in the top 5 bestselling units for Q1 2012, aiding in the 27.5% category-leading market share that VIZIO has experienced.

“VIZIO’s category leading HDTV best seller track record has now carried over to their complimentary sound bar lineup,” said Tamaryn Pratt, Analyst at Quixel Research. “An innovator in the category, VIZIO leads the way with a dominant 27.5% overall market share in the sound bar market.”

U.S. Sound Bar Market Top 5 Best Sellers Q1 2012 by Units

Manufacturer Product Length Spker Config MSRP
VIZIO VSB200 40” 2 $149.99
Phillips CSS2123/F7 30” 2.1 $129.99
Samsung HW-E450 36” 2.1 $299.99
VIZIO VHT215 40” 2.1 $299.99
Polk SURROUNDBAR 31” 2.1 $349.99

http://www.bgr.com/2012/06/21/vizio-lcd-hdtv-shipments-q1-2012-us/

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:57 pm

johninajijic wrote:
CheenaGringo wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Vizio is the #1 selling brand in the US. We have 2 units purchased at Costco and are quite happy with their performance.

How long have they been on the market and what is their performance record? They could be # 1 because they are cheaper, no?

John who cares how long.....I spent the money on the Sharp, as I compared them side by side, I considered vizio inferior, and since I am spending my money, my opinion is the only one that matters relative to my purchase. LMAO........I drive a beamer in the states, some idiots will produce studies that show they are inferior to a Hunydai ....or however you spell it.....My choice my money....give the little people their day Beer Beer Beer Let them provide studies you made an inferior choice.....gawd this cracks me up...... What Satellite System and TV Brand would you Purchase in the US? 223506 What Satellite System and TV Brand would you Purchase in the US? 223506
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm confused, John, why do you always ask questions that you could get answered by speaking to Mr. Bing or Mr. Google?

Last edited by MexicoPete on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:35 pm

CG - Thank you. I will certainly consider this brand when making a choice. I will consider Samsung too.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:37 am

One problem now is the high picture quality of almost all TV sets. It is hard
to get a bad picture. They all look good until you watch them side to side
or train yourself on what to look for. You actually can use an instrument
called a color analyzer which use to be 10KUSD and now you can get one
to hook up to your laptop for 400USD. A better way to say it these days
is this set looks better than that set. They both look good. This is a heck
of good problem to have folks.

Here are some things to look for when buying.

Power: Plasma uses more than LCD and LCD use
more than LED/LCD. (regular LCD use flouresants sp)
Some can be cranked down like Sharps. My 52" sharp
only uses 80watts in econ mode. If you play your TV
alot spend the extra for the LED/LCD. If you just watch
one DVD a day or such get a plasma save the money and
you will actually have much better blacks for example.

Jacks: Some cheap units don't have analog out RCA jacks for
example. Optical digital out doesn't do you any good if you
want to connect to your laptop or old stereo. Look at the
jacks for example do you need component Jacks because you
have some old analog gear like an old Shaw receiver?

Motion: You sports guys do your research and get fast motion
response. Kinda hard to get a slow one now but they are still
a few out there.

3D: All I know is it makes me sick. Others may think it uber cool.

Brand: Look at the warranty. I like Sharp right now.

Best bang per buck: 50" Plasma at Wal Mart for approx. 10,000P or so.
Don't poo poo plasma! In a nice dark room they look nice, real nice. My
50" old plasma looked better than many modern TV's even today.

Problems: Plasma tend to have a reflective screen and like a darker room.
If you have lots of windows and such you might be better off with LCD type
of TV.

Older used plasma might use 200watts or more while new ones would use
150 or so. Not the kind of set to leave on all day and night.

Plasma sets burn in. Ever seen a TV with a CNN crawl burned into the bottom
of the screen? If you want to game or leave any crawl on the bottom of the
screen you better buy LCD and avoid plasma. IF you do have a burned in
plasma screen some programs you can run can remove it or you can just
unplug it and put it away and after a month or two the burned in crawl
will go away.

Features I like: On my sharp 52 lcd I can swivel the screen from side to side
on its standard base. Nice for eliminating reflections during the day.

Lots of jacks. I never know what is going to be hooked up. I would avoid
bottom of line sets because of this.

Sound: Sound is not created equal. My Sharp for example has impressive
sound considering how thick it is. If you just use a home theatre receiver
it doesn't matter but for day to day news listening and such I prefer to use
the TV sound to save power.

HDMI sound: Sometime the sound is very low compared to normal analog
sound. Don't be surprised that you have to turn the sound up higher with
HDMI versus analog output on a sat receiver for example.

Watch out: They have a mode in the TV that they use in the store for
display purposes and it cranks all the settings up. What you see in the
stores in not the energy saving mode. Now stores are bright and they do
have a need to crank it up but I would rather they lower the lights in the
display area.

I actually worked on the development of the first 1080P DLP TV set which
actually used ink jet technology to increase the resolution. Fun stuff if
you are a geek.

Good Luck

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Please do not misinterpret the info that I posted about Vizio as an endorsement that it is the best brand available. I do feel that Vizio offers a great bang for the buck. As opposed to Zed's recommendation - I would never purchase any electronics at WallyWorld! Costco gets all of our larger $$$ purchases when they have a product available.

After all of the discussions about cable or satellite suppliers degrading the HD signal, I figure my eyesight probably won't catch the minor differences in the picture. And I have no need or reason to have to brag that we have nothing but the best!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Try apple T.V. and a netflix account. Works for us, and no downtime for bad weather. Edited to add, get your news off the internet.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:04 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Please do not misinterpret the info that I posted about Vizio as an endorsement that it is the best brand available. I do feel that Vizio offers a great bang for the buck. As opposed to Zed's recommendation - I would never purchase any electronics at WallyWorld! Costco gets all of our larger $$$ purchases when they have a product available.

After all of the discussions about cable or satellite suppliers degrading the HD signal, I figure my eyesight probably won't catch the minor differences in the picture. And I have no need or reason to have to brag that we have nothing but the best!

CG - Again thanks for the info, but I'll look at VIZIO, Samsung, Sharp and SONY (even though Zed has said CONY is going downhill). And I would NEVER buy a TV at Wallyworld either here or in the US. In the US, I would probably buy a TV from Best Buy, BUT not before checking to see if I was getting the latest model.

Here in Mexico, both Wallyworld and Costco don't necessarily carry the latest models and they carry competitive, not top of the line models in some cases. In Mexico, there is only ONE place to buy SONY and it's from SONY in GDL on Avenue Guadalupe which has latest models cheaper than Costco.

Thanks to all for your insight and info.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 am

Folks I never told you where to buy I just said the best deal right now on
a Big set is at Wally World. Costco does have the latest Sharp models
hecho in Mexico. Visio does offer a great value CG but much better TV's
are available. Sony still has some good stuff just not as much as they
use to have. I would buy a Sony TV I would not buy a small appliance
made by Sony like a phone. But watch them they are cost cutting and
you know what that means to quality. Not sure the Sony tax is worth
it anymore but they still have some nice TV's. I have a one year old
32 Sony LCD set and it is OK but most other sets have a better picture
in my opinion. Like I said before we are arguing over things most of
us are not trained to see. I am picky and others here might be if so
it does make a difference.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 am

Zedinmexico wrote:Folks I never told you where to buy I just said the best deal right now on

Z

I'm not criticizing what you said about Sony or cost cutting, but maybe we were lucky, we had a combo Sony phone/answering machine for 18 + years. We still have a Sony VHS VCR that is 19 years old, never a repair. I would never, never buy a Sony Home Theater Receiver. I think they're crap.

Zed you probably know this, do the Flat Screen LCD's and LED's have replaceable Convergence chips of they go bad? What is the expected "life span" of these sets?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:40 pm

E-raq wrote:Try apple T.V. and a netflix account. Works for us, and no downtime for bad weather. Edited to add, get your news off the internet.

I love my Apple TV. But John don't ask about the screen size of an apple TV the answer will be too big for you to handle.

And yes, Neil, I picked up a 47 inch Vizio at next to nothing at Costco up here in Seattle in May. And the picture quality is great. I wasn't looking for the best quality, although the quality is darn good I was looking for the best bank for the buck.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:42 pm

johninajijic wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Folks I never told you where to buy I just said the best deal right now on

Z

I'm not criticizing what you said about Sony or cost cutting, but maybe we were lucky, we had a combo Sony phone/answering machine for 18 + years. We still have a Sony VHS VCR that is 19 years old, never a repair. I would never, never buy a Sony Home Theater Receiver. I think they're crap.

Zed you probably know this, do the Flat Screen LCD's and LED's have replaceable Convergence chips of they go bad? What is the expected "life span" of these sets?

John new stuff not your 18 year old or 19 year old stuff.
I loved my 10 year old Sony phone. Two Sony phones
broke within a year recently.

Cheaper LCD use flouresant (sp) tubes to light the screen.
More expensive LED/LCD use LED for the light source. LED
last longer than floresant (sp) tubes. I doubt if anything
is easily replaceable in these sets without Jigs and fixtures
to work on them. I will be happy to get 5 to 10 years out
of any of this technology. For folks who use TV all day and
part of the night buy LED/LCD as LED will last longer. I am
out of the business to know the latest MTBF (mean time
between failure) so I have no idea what to expect. Don't
worry about convergance chips. Most of this stuff is in a
single chipset these days and very reliable. They don't fix
things they just replace boards or modules. The circuit boards
are too small and complicated with lots of machine inserted
capaciters and such which required a tech with very delicate
hands to work on. I will admit the mexicans might work on this
stuff as they might not know they shouldn't so they can and do
LOL.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Zed - Iwas asking about the Convergence chips because I had 2 of mine replaced in my Sony 57" projection TV last year by HIGHLY qualified Sony technician at Sony Repair Shop on Avenue Guadalupe.

We knew what it was. Two guys came, one a helper. The main guy whizzed the scerws out of the back of the set with electric screwdriver, unplugged one of the large boards in the way, plugged in this mini soldering iron, unscrewed one more board. Then he waited for the iron to heat, touched each of the approx 20 pins and used a solder sucker to remove the solder in both chips. He carefully examined the new chips aligning pins as necessary, plugged them in, soldered both sets. Put the back on the TV in less than 1 hour. I was amazed. $ 2,200 pesos and the picture was better than ever. Well worthwhile in my book.

Sony Repair Shop
850 Avenue Guadalupe
Best shop for repair and best TV prices.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:21 pm

John:

You may want to do some research on Best Buy before committing to purchasing equipment there? IMO, Best Buy is no better than WallyWorld and neither will ever get another dime from me! Best Buy is headed deep in the dumpster and the original founder is considering taking it private.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:John:

You may want to do some research on Best Buy before committing to purchasing equipment there? IMO, Best Buy is no better than WallyWorld and neither will ever get another dime from me! Best Buy is headed deep in the dumpster and the original founder is considering taking it private.

Thanks, but why is that happening? I thought that Best Buy was or is one of the largest electronic stores.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:53 pm

johninajijic wrote:Zed - Iwas asking about the Convergence chips because I had 2 of mine replaced in my Sony 57" projection TV last year by HIGHLY qualified Sony technician at Sony Repair Shop on Avenue Guadalupe.

We knew what it was. Two guys came, one a helper. The main guy whizzed the scerws out of the back of the set with electric screwdriver, unplugged one of the large boards in the way, plugged in this mini soldering iron, unscrewed one more board. Then he waited for the iron to heat, touched each of the approx 20 pins and used a solder sucker to remove the solder in both chips. He carefully examined the new chips aligning pins as necessary, plugged them in, soldered both sets. Put the back on the TV in less than 1 hour. I was amazed. $ 2,200 pesos and the picture was better than ever. Well worthwhile in my book.

Sony Repair Shop
850 Avenue Guadalupe
Best shop for repair and best TV prices.

Not an issue John. LCD TV's are not projection TVs.
Much different creatures nothing to converge.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next