INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AARP ranks Mexico the best place in the world to retire.

+4
David
juanrey
kipissippi
Johan
8 posters

Go down

AARP ranks Mexico the best place in the world to retire. Empty AARP ranks Mexico the best place in the world to retire.

Post by Johan Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:34 am

AARP which has some 40 million retirees as members world wide has decided that Puerto Vallarta Mexico is the best place in the world to retire. I have tried to put the significance of the article into perspective here:
http://jaltembajalapeno.com/lang/en/2010/07/28/aarp-ranks-puerto-vallarta-best-in-the-world
but if you only have time to read the article you can do that here:
http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/press-center/info-07-2010/best_places_retire_abroad.html

It is hard to get a good news story spread so please pass it on.
Johan
Johan

Back to top Go down

AARP ranks Mexico the best place in the world to retire. Empty Re: AARP ranks Mexico the best place in the world to retire.

Post by kipissippi Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:44 am

I wonder when the article was actually written?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

AARP ranks Mexico the best place in the world to retire. Empty Re: AARP ranks Mexico the best place in the world to retire.

Post by juanrey Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:29 am

kipissippi wrote:I wonder when the article was actually written?

It appears the article was published July 26th, 2010.
In order of recommendation:
1. Mexico - PV
2. France
3. Panama
4. Portugal
5. Italy

juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 am

The publication date is July 2010. The piece if full of bad info; First, no way are there 50,000 Americans living in PV! Concerning the European countries mentioned, North Americans cannot immigrate to the EC, so forget the health care. Never the less, maybe this will help the tourist business in PV.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 am

I have to agree. Also Portugal has become expensive and their economy is in turmoil. I don't imagine France and Italy are cheap either however the article may not have been from a "cost concious" point of view.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:45 am

Most of Portugal, France and Italy is rural and the living is cheaper than being near any major metro area. Even so, a foreigner cannot partake of the healthcare system. We considered retiring to Spain and investigated immigrating. Found out that a) it wasn't easy, and b) no healthcare. It could have been done before the EC but not now.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by locogringo Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:45 am

AARP also believes that $1200 a month is reasonably priced medicare supplemental insurance.
locogringo
locogringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

AARP ranks Mexico the best place in the world to retire. Empty expats in PV

Post by Johan Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:38 am

David wrote:....First, no way are there 50,000 Americans living in PV! ........ Never the less, maybe this will help the tourist business in PV.

Some sources say there are over a million expats living in Mexico. I agree there probably are not 50,000 of them in PV itself but if you include the neighboring communities like Buceriac, Nuevo Vallarta, Sayulita, la Peñita and Chacala to the north as well as the ones to the south then I suspect the number is not too far off. It may even be low in my humble opinion. I have no idea where they got the number, however.

I suspect it will help tourism in our area which is partly why I posted it. A lot of families rely on those tourist dollars and the spate of bad news worries us a lot.
Johan
Johan

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 am

Lakeside is widely regarded at the largest American expat community in the world and there are only 6-8,000 here. Go figure. That Million number, I'd like to know where that comes from. The state of Jalisco has less than 40,000 expats (of all nationalities) holding FM2/3s. If anyone here is on the PV board pls pose the question, "how many American residents in the PV area."
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:08 pm

David wrote:Most of Portugal, France and Italy is rural and the living is cheaper than being near any major metro area. Even so, a foreigner cannot partake of the healthcare system. We considered retiring to Spain and investigated immigrating. Found out that a) it wasn't easy, and b) no healthcare. It could have been done before the EC but not now.
I seem to recall from Michael Moore's "SICKO" movie that the health-care system in France covers EVERYBODY, regardless of citizenship or immigration status. I have no idea about the others, but are you sure that France doesn't cover foreigners?

AARP ranks Mexico the best place in the world to retire. Confused
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Johan Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:07 pm

David wrote:..... there are only 6-8,000 here. Go figure. That Million number, I'd like to know where that comes from. The state of Jalisco has less than 40,000 expats (of all nationalities) holding FM2/3s. If anyone here is on the PV board pls pose the question,......

I guess some of it comes down to who you call an Expat. I would certainly includes those FMx holders you mention, David, but I would also include anyone who owns a home. Do your 6-8,000 folks include people who only stay 4 to 6 months? In our area a lot of folks own homes but cannot stand the heat so they leave for 3 to 6 months even if the biggest home they own is in Mexico. All that said, I think my estimate is wrong after seeing your numbers. The "million" came from a source I do not particularly trust.

I quoted your numbers on one of the PV forums and then asked:

How many do you all think we have in the PV area? Does anyone have a reliable source or even a wild guess? Does anyone have any numbers for Bucerias, Sayulita etc. I figure there are about 300 to 500 in our area, La Peñita, but then I would be including anyone who stays more than a couple of months each year.

And while we are at it how about the claim (which I simply do not believe) by EXPATForum.com:

Mexico ... With the American Expat community in Mexico reported to be well over one million it is the largest population of Americans living abroad.

I have no idea where they get this number but then I haven't found other info on that site too reliable either.
Johan
Johan

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 pm

I've heard that 1 million number numerous times but never is a source quoted. I'm just using logic; if Lakeside is the "largest community of expat Americans" and there are less than 10,000 here.......hmmm. The 6-8,000 number is the number of full time residents. The expat population increases by several thousand when the snowbirds are here. I've also heard that there were "over 100,000 expats in Jalisco" but the info published last year in the Guadalajara Reporter showed there to be closer to 40,000 total foreigners holding FM2/3 in Jalisco. The source for that data was INM.

I checked out immigrating to Spain and learned that we would NOT be covered by the health care system there. As a side note, I've benefited from n/c medical care in England, The Netherlands, Germany, France, and Japan over many years while travelling on business.

Last edited by David on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Its all a matter of Opinion really... and you know what they say about opinions...

Mexico would be a dandy place to retire... and that sentiment should ring out loud and clear here, as that is certainly the one thing that has brought us all togeather..

For most folks ... perfect retirement amounts to a TV Remote and a comfy chair with a big comfy pillow to fart into... Sleep
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:49 pm

hockables wrote: For most folks ... perfect retirement amounts to a TV Remote and a comfy chair with a big comfy pillow to fart into... Sleep

Oh, I certainly hope there's a little more to it than that.

That sounds more like what I envision for when I'm in my 90's, between now and then I want more
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:09 pm

No sheet sherlock!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down