INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin GPS in Mexico

+6
frkshnwa
viajero
Cheesehead
Rosa Venus
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
10 posters

Go down

Garmin GPS in Mexico Empty Garmin GPS in Mexico

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:29 pm

We have had a Garmin GPS since 2009 with Mexico maps. Prior to this trip, I did a purchased update of all maps (Canada, US & Mexico). No big surprise since Guadalajara, Morelia and Oaxaca are sizable cities and the box got us exactly where we needed to go. Prior to heading out, we were given an address in Teotitlán del Valle, OAX for a family of woolen rug weavers and I had plugged it into the GPS. I had searched Google Maps: https://maps.google.com.mx/maps?q=teotitlan+del+valle,+oaxaca,+mexico&hl=es-419&ie=UTF8&ll=17.025437,-96.516309&spn=0.016086,0.025749&client=firefox-a&hnear=Teotitl%C3%A1n+del+Valle,+Oaxaca&gl=mx&t=m&z=15
and found their maps definitely lacking in street names. The Garmin not only recognized the street but was able to provide turn by turn directions. The actual house number was a challenge and after taking the wrong choice on a 50/50 decision, we were able to turn around and find the address without asking a soul.

As the Dawg will attest, this residence is quite a ways off the main road through town and can be reached via a combination of concrete, cobblestone and dirt roads. Won't say that it took us on the most direct route but if you have ever visited Teotitlán del Valle, OAX, I think you too would be amazed at the relative accuracy!

For all of the old timers that prefer to claim that GPS units are useless - I defy you to have the same performance from a Guia Roji set of maps!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Garmin GPS in Mexico Empty Re: Garmin GPS in Mexico

Post by CanuckBob Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm

I also use Garmin in our travels throughout Mexico. It rarely lets us down.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:19 pm

I've been to Teotitlán del Valle and I'm pretty impressed. Getting to the town is easy enough, but having it direct you to a specific location within it is impressive. Even so, I can't imagine using one of those GPS things. Not for everybody.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Garmin GPS in Mexico Empty Don't forget lat/lon coordinates

Post by Cheesehead Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Sometimes addresses don't always work. But if you know the destination, you can go to Google Earth and get the lattitude/longitude coordinates and plug those in.

Just a suggestion.
Cheesehead
Cheesehead

Humor : Yes Please

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Or you can just pull over and ask a local for directions,if you speak Spanish...

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm

Fantastic results with the new Garmin 2013 map version in Guadalajara. I use Garmin 2013 map in conjunction with BICIMapas and between the two I get fantastic results. Not all addresses are searchable but if you use Garmin Basemap to pre-search your destination you can find an address across or down the street usually. You can also search on neighboring points of interest if you know of something close to your destination. I generally don't travel without creating routes in Garmin Basemap and/or Google Earth on the PC and then saving them to my GPS unit.
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fried Green Tomatoes Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 am

Got old getting lost. Got Garmin. Got Love Back! Spouse and I are talking again!

Fried Green Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:57 am

A semi good concept Chris if one is fluent in Spanish, however, I have been with fluent Spanish speakers who have asked for directions and received totally wrong ones from a person just trying to please.

The GPS was invented by a man who refused to ask for directions and had a wife who flunked map reading 101!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by angela04101 Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 am

What's the best way to get Garmin maps? download from Garmin? or buy a disc from where? or what? - Thanks!

angela04101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:18 am

If making a purchase of a new Garmin, make sure it has the Mexico maps included and the suffix LM. This gives allows Lifetime Map downloads for the unit purchased.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:33 pm

We just updated our Garmin maps before we went to the states and use it in Guadalajara once in a while. Thought it was more confused in the US then whenever we use it in Mexico, go figure.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:44 pm

As pointed out by Kiri, any model with a number followed by LM means that you have lifetime map free upgrades and now the North American package includes Mexico in addition to the US and Canada. Like any other piece of technology, Garmin is always upgrading the features but also the memory, etc. When I did our most recent update, tech support recommended changing to a 4Gb card because of the limited memory in our 3 year old unit. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had added numerous places of interest in Mexico. For example, under shopping, they had a number of Soriana stores here in Oaxaca.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:54 pm

CheenaGringo wrote: I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had added numerous places of interest in Mexico. For example, under shopping, they had a number of Soriana stores here in Oaxaca.
Jeez Neil you didn't drive all the way to Oaxaca to shop at a Soriana did you? Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by angela04101 Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:58 pm

I bought a Garmin nuvi 1300 last year prior to moving here, and ordered MX map cd that disappeared from my mailbox in Laredo. Anyone know if I can download MX maps from the Garmin website?

angela04101

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Chris:

I guess it is Neil's turn in the box. No we didn't drive all the way to Oaxaca to shop at Soriana! Adjacent to our hotel, we have an OXXO but they don't carry our preferred mixer of Squirt and we needed a couple of other staples like hair spray for the boss!

angela04101:
Yes, you can download the Mexico maps from the Garmin website. Check the maps available for your model at www.garmin.com. Depending on your ISP speed, the download can take quite a bit of time.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Chris:

I guess it is Neil's turn in the box. No we didn't drive all the way to Oaxaca to shop at Soriana! Adjacent to our hotel, we have an OXXO but they don't carry our preferred mixer of Squirt and we needed a couple of other staples like hair spray for the boss!
Just kidding around Neil.
Have a great trip amigo.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:29 pm

I say give that Garmin pucker a good test: Guanajuato City, el centro historico!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Fried Green Tomatoes Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:14 pm

angela04101 wrote:I bought a Garmin nuvi 1300 last year prior to moving here, and ordered MX map cd that disappeared from my mailbox in Laredo. Anyone know if I can download MX maps from the Garmin website?
Yes for $ 50 US.

Fried Green Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:46 am

Mexico GPS with Lifetime Maps search via specs on left side of page

Garmin nüvi 2455LMT 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:49 pm

After bragging about how well the GPS performed the other day, I decided it didn't have a clue going to the ruins at Monte Alban today. Instead of paying attention to its directions, I chose to follow the signs to Monte Alban from Centro Oaxaca. Not only were we following the local "agua truck" up the back side of the mountain on a road that should have been one way, we had to back up for buses and other vehicles coming down the mountain. When we arrived at Monte Alban someone declared that she was very close to messing her shorts! On the way back down, we followed the route the GPS wanted us to take with a great deal less stress.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down