INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eyeglasses

+14
CanuckBob
johninajijic
Chico
merry
CheenaGringo
David
ferret
gringal
gatosigi
hockables
simpsca
Trailrunner
Big Daddy Mexico
Axixic
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Eyeglasses - Page 2 Empty Re: Eyeglasses

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:46 pm

My Transitions from Pinto work in the car too, US car, but I don't think they get as dark as outside. Will have to check. At any rate, they certainly are fine and I have no complaints in that department.

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Dang, does NOBODY order eyeglasses online like I have for years? In case you need a traditional news source for it to be okay for you, here is CBS News saying it's okay:

Get Eyeglasses Online, for Quarter of the Price - CBS News
www.cbsnews.com/2100-3480_162-7272080.html

www.glassesshop.com/ - I've ordered several awesome pair over 2 years, example: no-line trifocals, polarized, sunglasses, fashion frame, free shipping, perfect each time $45 two week delivery to the US, then as long as it takes for your friend or family member to bring them. My backup pair will arrive next week.
www.39dollarglasses.com/online-eyeglasses.html - ordered from them before I found the above. Good but add-ons add up.
www.zennioptical.com/ - recommended by the miserly Clark Howard financial radio show. I've not used them.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Merry,

It never even began to form a notion of beginning to enter my mind that such a thing was possible - I shall look into it further. Thank you.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:59 pm

gatosigi wrote:I got inexpensive, polycarbonate bifocals from a neighborhood shop in Morelia that are excellent. But plastic, progressive lenses from a place in Riberas that did not work for me prompted me to send my old, Crizal progressives to the USA for repair.
simpsca, can you give us your doctor's name and address? Thanks.

I go to Dr. Jose Antonio Paczka - speaks English. He has two offices and I only go to the one on Justo Sierra. Other one is in Puerto Hierro but I have no idea how to get to it:

Phone: 01 333 825 2521 or 01 333 825-2546
Justo Sierra # 1940, Office #4 - one or two blocks east of Ave. Chapultapec on the corner of Justo Sierra & Ramos Millan- you have to press the buzzer for #4 then they release the lock.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Axixic

I also recommend our only local opthamologist, who moved here after a successful practice of almost 25 years in GDL.

I,too, have a very complicated prescription and ordered glasses through Dr. Pinto and was more than pleased. Transition lenses, no line trifocals, astigmatism, etc. Also best frames I have ever had.

Here is his contact info:

Dr. Antonio Pinto:Opthamalic Surgeon

Office hours 10 to 4 CDT M-F

376-765-7793

Pretty sure you know how to call Mexico from the States.

Best wishes, chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Axixic wrote:Merry,

It never even began to form a notion of beginning to enter my mind that such a thing was possible - I shall look into it further. Thank you.

You only need a good prescription; they do the rest. You can type in your prescription information, fax or email it to them.

I did a lot of research a few years ago - there is like 80,000% markup on eyeglass frames, and they are all made in either Italy or China at the same manufacturers. Regardless of the price you pay.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gatosigi Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:36 am

Providers have always measured the position on the lens that is immediately in front of the pupil before sending the frames out for the lenses. If you order online, doesn't this centering of the lens get omitted?

gatosigi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:49 am

Costco is also an excellent source for glasses.

One thing about Dr. Pinto is that he uses quality glass and has the lenses ground in mexico City. Most others don't do this. He has tons of frames as does Costco. I think Costco's frames are a bit cheaper in price.

You can get any type of lenses here. Have your plastic lenses coated with anti scratch coating.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:36 am

Have you found tri-focals John?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:38 am

gatosigi wrote:Providers have always measured the position on the lens that is immediately in front of the pupil before sending the frames out for the lenses. If you order online, doesn't this centering of the lens get omitted?

Exactly what I was wondering. As well as getting the glasses fit just right, guess you could just pop into any optician and have them fit the glasses. It was fun looking at all the sites, people must be buying over the internet because there are lots of sites selling.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:50 am

Trailrunner wrote:
gatosigi wrote:Providers have always measured the position on the lens that is immediately in front of the pupil before sending the frames out for the lenses. If you order online, doesn't this centering of the lens get omitted?

Exactly what I was wondering. As well as getting the glasses fit just right, guess you could just pop into any optician and have them fit the glasses. It was fun looking at all the sites, people must be buying over the internet because there are lots of sites selling.

I also was wondering about this...some frames are just not suitable depending on the individual. Frames have to be balanced at a perfect 90 degree angle on the ears and then the distance between pupils is also measured. I'd prefer a real person doing this...unless that information is included in the prescription????
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 am

simpsca wrote:Have you found tri-focals John?

I don't wear bi focals, but my friend wears no line bi-focals. What are tri focals and why would anyone need them?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:15 am

As you get older, many people need tri-focals. It gives you 1) reading, 2) mid range such as the gauges on your car, and 3) far distance good for driving. I now have bifocals but recently have trouble seeing the mid-range.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:21 am

Axixic wrote:Merry,

In my case, the savings aren't great. I plugged in all the particulars of my Rx, selected a pair of frames, etc. and the various add-ons that I wanted and the cost came to just under $300 (not including shipping and whatever duty might accrue). THAT did not include prisms in the lenses (which I did not find as an option anywhere). Since my local provider quoted me $330 (plus tax) for the same add-ons AND prisms I think I will just purchase from them and get the in person service and adjustments.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 am

I don't know if we can get prisms here and I doubt you will save much in Mexico. I paid a little over $250 and no prisms so I'm guessing you won't same a bundle here even if they do prisms.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:42 am

simpsca,

Early in this thread it was mentioned that Luz, the optometrist at LCS, is knowledgeable about prism lenses.

Since the online thing doesn't look all that advantageous for my particular set-up I am back to my Plan B (with a possible modification) and that is to buy a new pair here to use as sunglasses and investigate buying a non-tinted pair there (likely from Luz).

The possible modification depends on the particulars of Transition lenses with the new Drivewear technology. If my local provider can include that at some reasonable amount I will just buy the one pair to use for both sunglasses and regular and forego the purchase down there.

Always nice to have a plan.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Axixic:

I got my bifocal progressive lenses similar to the Drivewear lense mounted in a titanium frame about 8 years ago. These were done by a friend and even with discount, I still paid in the neighborhood of $450 NOB. I chose the glass version over plastic because I tend to scratch my glasses and they have held up well.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Neil,

All I can tell you is the one on-line place wanted $300, without prisms. My NOB provider wants $330 (plus tax) with prisms. Both suppliers - those plastic, coated lenses (whatever they are called) because I find glass lenses get very heavy.

$450 seems really high to me, but I guess I don't fully understand all the factors at play in the manufacture of eyeglasses.

Anyway, I'll see what the deal is with the Drivewear feature and take it from there.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:54 pm

I know this is an old thread but is Dr. Pinto in Riberas still the "go to guy" for eyeglasses locally?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:48 pm

not if you want real glass but yvonne gets her plastic bifocals there.
i get mine serviced by the guy just east of spencer in chapala
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by K2tog Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:51 am

CanuckBob wrote:I know this is an old thread but is Dr. Pinto in Riberas still the "go to guy" for eyeglasses locally?
I used to agree with you CanuckBob, but not anymore...my husband and I have both used him in the past and the last time I had my eyes examined, by him, and had new glasses made he totally forgot to put in the script for distance...I have worn progressive lenses for years and he has made several of those for me. So my question is how do you forget a correction for 1/3 of the progressive lenses?

I went back, had to wait a week for new glasses to be made and will not go back again. Just my opinion, but felt I needed to share it. Also, when his wife is not there, the people who "fit the glasses" and measure for the center of your pupil, don't really know what they are doing. I am not a satisfied customer, so I'm voting w/ my wallet.

K2tog
K2tog

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:11 am

CanuckBob wrote:I know this is an old thread but is Dr. Pinto in Riberas still the "go to guy" for eyeglasses locally?
I get mine from Luz at LCS. She's very good and the exam is free.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:18 am

The request is for some guests. I will direct them to the LCS since it is right next door.....jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:46 am

Muy facil.  If they need more than exam & specs she'll refer them. BTW, there's a signup sheet in the area where medical stuff happens.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:59 am

Wow - let's do the time warp again!

I did end up getting a pair of glasses from Luz with frames that I brought from NOB and she did a great job at a reasonable price even for my wonky prescription - prisms and all.

Highly recommended.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:37 pm

I used Pinto once with a prescription made my my eye doctor in Guadalajara. Got one pair from the doctor where were perfect. Took the same prescription to Pinto and one eye's focal point was not correct so couldn't read with them since each eye has a different focal point. So I agree that LCS would be a better place, although I now have all my eyeglasses made by the doc in Guadalajara because he gets it right every time. I have a very difficult prescription and even in the US it was correct only half the time.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next