INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets also not forget to support local businesses

+28
E-raq
MaggieL
RoofBob
Mainecoons
penylofr
hockables
Walter
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
David
Zedinmexico
slainte39
CheenaGringo
MexicoPete
ajijicbob
casi nada
Parker
viajero
wheels
gringal
Intercasa
johninajijic
Sideways
simpsca
saege007
Big Daddy Mexico
Trailrunner
Flamingo
CanuckBob
32 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lets also not forget to support local businesses Empty Lets also not forget to support local businesses

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:23 pm

There has been a lot of discussion and action taken to support local restaurants but lets also remember to support local businesses, especially those owned by fellow Inside Lakeside members. I am sure times are tight for them too. A few that come to mind are:

Hair by Sasha
Chapala Legal
Big Daddy's Sausages

If any other members here have a small business be sure to add yourself to this list.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Lets also not forget to support local businesses Empty Re: Lets also not forget to support local businesses

Post by Flamingo Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:35 pm

And spend your pesos at the neighborhood tiendas and markets rather than at WalMart. A couple of hundreds pesos could make a real difference at a little Mom and Pop shop.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Lets also not forget to support local businesses Empty Re: Lets also not forget to support local businesses

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Yes indeed. Good point Flamingo.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:16 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Flamingo, absolutely right.

Forgo shopping at Costco or WM if you can find what you need locally.
Buy flowers for the sig other from the flower vendors.
Go take a boat ride to Scorpion Island.
If you have something broken, get it repaired.
Get some clothes mended, or ironed, or made for you.
Eat out, like planned.

Spend money around the villages whenever possible.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Super Lake and El Torito are two of the biggest supporters of local producers, suppliers and manufacturers. Wal-Mart and Soriana do not buy from local producers and manufacturers.

What is happening now because it is slow everywhere, is that these stores have slowed or stopped in buying new goods for their stores. That is why you might see that some of the shelves are empty.

They are only buying the essential items.

The ripple down effect is that for those of us who count on selling our products at Super Lake and El Torito everyweek, are not being able to do it anymore until sales pickup.

Big Daddy's Sausages has been fortunate and would like to thank the continued support of its customers for purchasing our sausages each and everyweek from these locations.

We will be on location at the Monday Market in the Hole-In-One. Come out and have a look at the local people and see what the have for sale. It just might surprise you. The food is ready to eat or you can take it home and eat it later.

We will also be on location at the Wednesday Tianguis once again. We had been gone for 5 weeks. We should be located about 1 to 2 blocks past el Toritos. Come out and support all the local producers.

Thanks for your support.

Big Daddy flag waver

You can purchase our sausages online thru lakeside express. Checkout our website for the link

www.BigDaddysSausages.com
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Did I see a sign that you are selling your sausages at the La Huerta super mini?
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 pm

saege007 wrote:Did I see a sign that you are selling your sausages at the La Huerta super mini?

Yes we have our sausages in the freezer there right now. The cooler that they had donated by the cheese guy is broken. They are looking at getting it fixed. But it all costs money. And when it is slow, these are the things that have to wait.

I also wanted to mention that we have our sausage at Tony's Carneceria. He is one of our biggest supporters and also provides employment for 6.5 people. (One is due to give birth soon. LOL) He has found it very slow also. He continues to buy our sausage because the people keep buying it from him.
Thanks Very Happy
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 pm

And I have placed my order for Big Daddy sausages at the get together at Viva Mexico on Tuesday, at 2pm. I found many of the products but have to order the chicken apple sausages and the Italian meatballs directly from him. So don't forget you can order direct if you don't find what you want in the stores.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:23 am

I don't see where giving gringos (Big Daddy, those other gringo food sellers) my money helps the people who really need it, i.e., the local Mexican population. If you want to help the locals, stop at taco stand, shop tiendas in your neighborhood, have dinner at a local cenaduria.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:55 am

I currently hire 3 fulltime mexican staff. And I am not a gringo. I am a Canadian. I was not asking for your help. I was just letting people know that helping the smaller stores helps the local people. And my wife of 4 years and 2 kids are Mexican.

Last edited by Big Daddy Mexico on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:02 am

Sideways wrote:I don't see where giving gringos (Big Daddy, those other gringo food sellers) my money helps the people who really need it, i.e., the local Mexican population. If you want to help the locals, stop at taco stand, shop tiendas in your neighborhood, have dinner at a local cenaduria.

So following that train of thought, about 50% of the local restaurants should be removed from the swarming because they have some sort of gringo ownership?

I'm not saying right or wrong. I am just curious.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:21 am

johninajijic wrote:
Sideways wrote:I don't see where giving gringos (Big Daddy, those other gringo food sellers) my money helps the people who really need it, i.e., the local Mexican population. If you want to help the locals, stop at taco stand, shop tiendas in your neighborhood, have dinner at a local cenaduria.

Sideways - Big Daddy is supporting the Mexican labor force.

Thanks John.

Actually, all of us just being here in the Chapala Area are supporting the area one way or another. If we want to help we just have to start buying our stuff on the smaller level and at the local Markets and Tianguis. Then everybody benefits. You get fresh great products and the 'Little Guy' gets more money.
Viva Mexico flag waver
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:25 am

saege007 wrote:Did I see a sign that you are selling your sausages at the La Huerta super mini?

Yes, he is. I saw them there.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:26 am

Several people have recommended Roberto be on the list of restaurants we visit, and I don't think he is Mexican. But any restaurant is supporting a fairly large Mexican work force and I believe they need our patronage. I know there has not been enough work for all waiters at all the restaurants.

I mentioned that a friend and I were at Number Four last Sunday (owned by a NOB) and we were the only ones in the restaurant for 2 1/2 hours. There was only one waiter working. Now some of you may not feel sorry for a restaurant owner who is NOB but stop and think of the all the Mexican jobs lost when they have almost no business.

I don't know of any restaurant that doesn't have mostly Mexican employees.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:42 am

Tango, Number four, Simply Thai, Robertos are just a few that have a gringo interest. There is a whole lot more and probably some that we don't even realize. For me the bottom line is they create good employment for locals and a good environment for everyone. I will support ALL local business whether it is Mexican or foreign owned. They all add value to the community.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:35 am

NOB types know how to run businesses well and will generate jobs for the Mexicans. I have 4 workers, all Mexican and am looking for yet another for my Guadalajara office. In my field locally I don't think anybody else locally has more employees.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:57 am

Big Daddy.......no offense, but Canadian borns are also "gringos" . Very Happy
If that's an offensive term to some, let's just say we're "expats".

However, it doesn't matter much which places you patronize........ever had a "gringo" waiter? They're the staff, and they're all hurting these days. It's off season, off economy and times are hard for everyone.
Tip generously.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:28 am

gringal wrote:Big Daddy.......no offense, but Canadian borns are also "gringos" . Very Happy
If that's an offensive term to some, let's just say we're "expats".

However, it doesn't matter much which places you patronize........ever had a "gringo" waiter? They're the staff, and they're all hurting these days. It's off season, off economy and times are hard for everyone.
Tip generously.

No offense taken. However the Wikipedia definition is pretty clear when it is used in English.

"Gringo (Spanish: [ˈgɾiŋgo], Portuguese: [ˈgɾĩgu]) is a slang Spanish and Portuguese word used in Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking countries in Latin America, to denote foreigners, often from the United States. The term can be applied to someone who is actually a foreigner, or it can denote a strong association or assimilation into foreign (particularly US) society and culture. While in Spanish it simply identifies a foreigner, without any negative connotation,[1] in English the word is often considered offensive or disparaging."

Expat is a great word. Thanks Gringal Thumbs up
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by wheels Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Big Daddy Mexico wrote:I currently hire 3 fulltime mexican staff. And I am not a gringo. I am a Canadian. I was not asking for your help. I was just letting people know that helping the smaller stores helps the local people. And my wife of 4 years and 2 kids are Mexican.

LOL and you are not a gringo?????

wheels

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Some of us expat business owners are younger and are working our way towards becoming Mexican citizens. We have a vested interest in our community. We live here and buy from local small businesses. Us younger ones do not have Social Security or Disability coming in each month. And a good amount of us younger folk have Mexican spouses or significant others. We consider this our community. Supporting us does support the local community.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Big Daddy Mexico wrote: And I am not a gringo. I am a Canadian.
Too funny,I was at a party once when a mexican guest asked me if I was canadian,I took a little offense and replied that no, I was a californian and asked him if he was a guatemalan,he too took offense but we had a good laugh!

Last edited by viajero on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:22 pm

California is a country now............?????? Jajajaja
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:28 pm

I thought 'gringo' was a holdover from when the US snatched northern Mexico and Mexicans chanted 'green go' referring to the color of the soldiers uniforms.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:29 pm

CanuckBob wrote:California is a country now............?????? Jajajaja
I'm a californian first a US citizen second and a mexicano de corrazon third. Very Happy Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:41 pm

CanuckBob wrote:California is a country now............?????? Jajajaja
This was during the bush administration,it was embarrassing to be a US citizen abroad,that said I wasn't buying any tee shirts emblazoned with maple leaves either to hide my identity. Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by viajero on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next