INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Viva Mexico Restaurant

+10
simpsca
Jim W
MaggieL
bimini6
David
Zedinmexico
merry
mexilady
Trailrunner
RoofBob
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Viva Mexico Restaurant Empty Viva Mexico Restaurant

Post by RoofBob Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 am

Just received this email from a friend.

"About 16 of us went over to Augustin's Viva Mexico (Tia Lupita) restaurant yesterday after church. We had called ahead so he could be prepared for a big group. Someone had told us that he'd had almost no customers for 2 weeks, following the murder of his nephew. Augustin told us that the narcos also kidnapped two cousins.

Although the place usually has lots of people on Sundays, we were the only customers yesterday. Two more gringos did come in later.

As we were finishing our (excellent as always) meals, Augustin called out his entire crew and lined them up. He said "We want to thank you for saving our retaurant". A most touching moment. Augustin is a fine man; his restaurant one of the best in the area. It would be a great loss to the the lakeside area if we lost this restaurant. Let's try to go out of our way to give him support during this critical time!"
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Viva Mexico Restaurant Empty Re: Viva Mexico Restaurant

Post by Trailrunner Tue May 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks for posting this, Agustín was my first friend here when I arrived 8 years ago. He's as good as they come. The proceeds from the restaurant supports the restaurant first, then he and his wife and his 4 boys ( 2 are in college), then his large extended family, and the rest of the proceeds go to buy food for Operation Feed which feeds hungry and impoverished kids in SJC.

A friend was over the other night and had just come back from dinner at VM and said the place was packed, apparently a group of Westenders were there enjoying and supporting too.

This Friday 8 or so of us are going for comida, looking forward to the meal and especially to seeing Agustín.

Please help support them too!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mexilady Tue May 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Does anyone have their phone number?

mexilady

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 pm

mexilady wrote:Does anyone have their phone number?

http://www.vivamexicotialupita.com/English/Contact.html

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mexilady Tue May 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Thank you.

mexilady

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Yea he is very happy with us all trying to get people to get back to eating out!!
I was very touched by him and his staff. He is a saint!!

He was very grateful on sat and sun for the folks who showed up. Its time to
get our gringo/a butts back out and spend a little money!! Not much money
hey go get a taco! We are really needed right now whether small spender or
grande.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue May 29, 2012 5:48 pm

How about an Inside Lakeside comida at Viva Mexico! Share the wealth, have a good meal, and meet the maniacs.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue May 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Great idea! Suggest a date and time.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Tue May 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Augustine is a great guy, giving back to his community all the time....best of all the food is good.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieL Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Trailrunner wrote:How about an Inside Lakeside comida at Viva Mexico! Share the wealth, have a good meal, and meet the maniacs.

Brilliant idea! I'm in! (as long as it's not next Thursday)

MaggieL

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 pm

MaggieL wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:How about an Inside Lakeside comida at Viva Mexico! Share the wealth, have a good meal, and meet the maniacs.

Brilliant idea! I'm in! (as long as it's not next Thursday)

I think they are closed on Thursday.....beyond that, set date and time, Deb and I will be there. Thumbs up
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue May 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Remember he is closed on Thursdays.

I organized a group of 20 this Sunday evening and he did the same with us, came out and thanked us for helping him out. He must have been exhausted. In addition to our group there were about 30 other people there at the same time. I think word got out to go help him out and a lot of us did.

So if we are eating at Viva Mexico I'm in.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue May 29, 2012 9:07 pm

His cell phone is not working. If we get a group together, I can pop over and give him the number of people, date, and time.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue May 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Weekdays the traffic is better - those restaurants on the water in San Juan Cosala really tie up traffic. So I'm suggesting the following dates:

June 11 (Mon), June 12 (Tues), or June 13 (Wed.) I don't know if there is any way to set up a poll in our chat board, but it would make it easier than each person posting a date preference.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue May 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Since there is going to be a funeral and some sad times for his family coming up, how about giving them a little space.

Say, Friday the 15th?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Yes, that works for me - Friday, June 15. Does it work for anyone else?

There will be masses said for the four in San Juan Cosala, but I think that will happen soon and he will go to those masses. I'll go by tomorrow and see if he knows of any days we should stay away from. Other than the day of the masses I know he will welcome the business.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue May 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Since there is going to be a funeral and some sad times for his family coming up, how about giving them a little space. Say, Friday the 15th?

I think not having much business would make him even sadder.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue May 29, 2012 9:29 pm

I was given this phone number to make reservations (387) 761-1058 I called and gave the reservation for our Sunday dinner to his brother. I ran into Augustin in the Jocotopec market and he had not gotten our reservation. So now I just run over there and let him know (if it's going to be a big group).
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Wed May 30, 2012 5:57 pm

merry wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:Since there is going to be a funeral and some sad times for his family coming up, how about giving them a little space. Say, Friday the 15th?

Merry

Sincerely hope that I am misunderstanding your post, Merry. He has lost a nephew and has two missing cousins and you suggest that Agustin not having business would make him feel sadder? This needs clarification, Merry.

Agustin has always been the most respected man in SJC and with good reason. For those of you that were here when SJC flooded from who knows what a few years ago, he was the guy that fixed over 2,000 meals and passed them out at no charge to folks that were helping SJC to resurface.

A couple of years ago, I was there and Agustin suggested that we might want to come back another time, as he was celebating a national book reading day. Could not miss this. We stayed. Close to 100 kids came in and all read a bit of a book that they had read. Some with ease, some with difficulty, but they all did it. And we applauded each and every one. Their reward was snacks and a drink, as well a new book for each of them

I saw this in person.

Agustin, should be St. Agustin. One of the most incredible people that you will ever have the pleasure to meet.

Please patronize his restaurant. Not only is he outstanding, but so is the comida at his restaurant. Chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed May 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Chico wrote:
merry wrote:

Merry

Sincerely hope that I am misunderstanding your post, Merry. He has lost a nephew and has two missing cousins and you suggest that Agustin not having business would make him feel sadder? This needs clarification, Merry.
...Please patronize his restaurant. Not only is he outstanding, but so is the comida at his restaurant. Chico

Chico,
Yes, clearly you have misunderstood me. The man is struggling to keep his restaurant open and his remaining family alive and clothed. Many people abandon someone in their time of greatest loss, out of a kind but misplaced sense of respect for their grieving, leaving the person alone and confused. In his case, this will cause him not only more grief but possible financial ruin.

I have run my own business for most of my adult life, and I have opened my doors the day after having been in a car accident, after being injured, losing loved ones, and more. The show must go on or the lights go out. Let Augustine choose whether to open his doors and keep busy during his time of grief, rather than deciding for him.

Odd that you close your message with a plea to patronize his restaurant, as that is exactly what I was doing, Chico.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed May 30, 2012 6:34 pm

merry wrote:
Chico wrote:
merry wrote:

Merry

...Please patronize his restaurant. Not only is he outstanding, but so is the comida at his restaurant. Chico

Chico,
Yes, clearly you have misunderstood me. The man is struggling to keep his restaurant open and his remaining family alive and clothed. Many people abandon someone in their time of greatest loss, out of a kind but misplaced sense of respect for their grieving, leaving the person alone and confused. In his case, this will cause him not only more grief but possible financial ruin.

I have run my own business for most of my adult life, and I have opened my doors the day after having been in a car accident, after being injured, losing loved ones, and more. The show must go on or the lights go out. Let Augustine choose whether to open his doors and keep busy during his time of grief, rather than deciding for him.

Odd that you close your message with a plea to patronize his restaurant, as that is exactly what I was doing, Chico.

Merry

My first 25 years in Business I didn't close for anything!!... First time was my Son's Graduation....
Come to think of it... it got easier and easier...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed May 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Hockables said:
> My first 25 years in Business I didn't close for anything!!... First time was my Son's Graduation.... Come to think of it... it got easier and easier...

Same here... easier and easier now.... If I'm on this board, I am avoiding work. :-D

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu May 31, 2012 8:45 am

BTW, across the street & a few doors east there is a GREAT meat market...He speaks English, understands American cuts, wonderful pork ribs, has a 1/2 inch plate for his meat grinder that makes great chili meat rather than using hamburger.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu May 31, 2012 8:57 am

A meat market and you're quoting Hayek! What a renaissance man, GBA.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu May 31, 2012 10:18 am

merry wrote:A meat market and you're quoting Hayek! What a renaissance man, GBA.

Merry
Salma said that??

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next