INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving to Ajijic with a Very Outgoing Teen

+16
Big Daddy Mexico
johninajijic
Trailrunner
exajijicresident
hockables
oncesubtle
kipissippi
little italy
gringal
silas
CheenaGringo
espĂ­ritu del lago
itsme
Grizzy
CanuckBob
Canuck
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Moving to Ajijic with a Very Outgoing Teen - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Ajijic with a Very Outgoing Teen

Post by exajijicresident Wed May 16, 2012 10:21 am

We moved to Ajijic when our daughter was 10 and it was the best thing that happened to her. That being said, it was also in 2001 when Ajijic was indeed "Paradise". Unfortunately, it is now "Terror in Paradise". My family was one of the first that was terrorized by the cartels or at least the local druggies in 2008 and unbelievably nobody believed that we were victims of home invasion in San Juan Cosala. We moved from that house to another and were followed; we moved to another house one block from the Joco police station and were followed. Each time we were followed they tried to break in while we were there and they KNEW we were there. How sick is that. We couldn't wait to move, but could not afford it and finally begged for money from our family (who, by the way, did not believe it either) to get the heck out of there. Now I guess maybe everyone realizes that was the beginning of the end of "Paradise". My point is that the gang could have been after our 17 year old daughter, but my take is still that they just wanted to terrorize us. I am still very angry that my family could not stay where we wanted to spend the rest of our lives, but we are very lucky we are still alive. There is no way I would willingly move into Mexico at this time because I believe it will get worse before it gets better. I am sure there will be collateral damage in the form of Americans soon in the Lago de Chapala area eventually and I would never put my family in that situation.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. I can understand you wanting to get this right for your family. I feel very fortunate that my daughter was able to experience another culture when she did because we would never be able to move there now, even if we hadn't been exposed to the terror.

exajijicresident

Back to top Go down

Moving to Ajijic with a Very Outgoing Teen - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Ajijic with a Very Outgoing Teen

Post by gringal Wed May 16, 2012 10:24 am

One thing to bear in mind about PM's: You can shut them off if you don't want them. Instructions above. So if somebody gets on your case .......you can bolt the door.
Hope all goes well, no matter what you decide. Good luck and welcome to the board.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed May 16, 2012 10:30 am

Wow. Thank you for your story.

Canuck, I have to agree with this poster that this is no time to be moving here. If you are really sold on moving to MX at this time, there are other areas that are not exhibiting the violence that we are seeing here at the lake. People are leaving here, sadly. Having said that, this stuff can break out anytime anywhere.

I wish you and your family the best of luck in your difficult decision.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 16, 2012 10:42 am

exajijicresident wrote:We moved to Ajijic when our daughter was 10 and it was the best thing that happened to her. That being said, it was also in 2001 when Ajijic was indeed "Paradise". Unfortunately, it is now "Terror in Paradise". My family was one of the first that was terrorized by the cartels or at least the local druggies in 2008 and unbelievably nobody believed that we were victims of home invasion in San Juan Cosala. We moved from that house to another and were followed; we moved to another house one block from the Joco police station and were followed. Each time we were followed they tried to break in while we were there and they KNEW we were there. How sick is that. We couldn't wait to move, but could not afford it and finally begged for money from our family (who, by the way, did not believe it either) to get the heck out of there. Now I guess maybe everyone realizes that was the beginning of the end of "Paradise". My point is that the gang could have been after our 17 year old daughter, but my take is still that they just wanted to terrorize us. I am still very angry that my family could not stay where we wanted to spend the rest of our lives, but we are very lucky we are still alive. There is no way I would willingly move into Mexico at this time because I believe it will get worse before it gets better. I am sure there will be collateral damage in the form of Americans soon in the Lago de Chapala area eventually and I would never put my family in that situation.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. I can understand you wanting to get this right for your family. I feel very fortunate that my daughter was able to experience another culture when she did because we would never be able to move there now, even if we hadn't been exposed to the terror.

I would think there is far more to this than what you have divulged here. No?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 am

I agree with CBob. Waaaay more to this than what is posted there? How many times would the same person get broken into and why? Why would anyone follow someone? Maybe you really pizzed someone off. Too much missing here. Back in 2008 very little, if anything was going on.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by exajijicresident Wed May 16, 2012 11:20 am

Other than the fact that 5 years later my daughter still has nightmares because I was the one to come face-to-face with the home invader and could not stop screaming (my husband just told me last week that he had visions that I would be dead by the time he reached me), there really is not a lot more to the story. We were not into drugs or even alcohol, our daughter did not have any boys 'sniffing' around, she had female Mexican friends who she is still in touch with so I am really not sure why we were targeted. We made friends with our Mexican neighbors, or at least we thought we had, but none of them called the police or came to see what was happening when they heard me screaming at 3 am; when questioned if they saw anyone they said they thought someone was being murdered. So yeah, I guess there is more to this story, especially when the culprits lived right across the street from us and the real terror began when we fingered them. That was when we were followed by young Mexicans on their cel phones in vehicles that would suddenly veer off when we suddenly stopped, etc. It was probably the scariest time of my life and it is still affecting our lives and may always affect them.

Everyone thought little or nothing was happening back in 2008, but it was beginning. As now, it is always easier to dismiss reports of bad stuff happening than to have to deal with it.

My sincere hope is that the terror will end in Mexico and I really can empathize with the Mexicans who are being terrorized now. And my thoughts and prayers are with those families who have experienced tragedies -- and yes, I knew some of the young people who were murdered -- it has been very difficult to deal with and has brought our terror back to the surface.

exajijicresident

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Why did you not buy a Taser? After you tase someone, word would get around. They shoot up to 20 feet away, enough to knock down anyone. You aim for the chest area. Can't miss. I would also tase his privates to teach him a lesson.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Wed May 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Uh....maybe because it might be bringing a taser to a gun fight? Or a hit and run? Leave them alone John...they've had enough grief.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed May 16, 2012 1:00 pm

exajijicresident, on behalf of the board I'd like to apologize for John, he knows not what he doeth or sayeth. (trust me)
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed May 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Wish there was a 'Like' button. Like.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Wed May 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Wish there was a 'Like' button. Like.

Great idea, why don't we send CBob a message then he can add an Icon 'LIKE' button. cheers
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 16, 2012 4:27 pm

I will investigate this as long as John doesn't "taze my privates"..........jajajaja!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 16, 2012 6:05 pm

STUPID IDEA!!!
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 16, 2012 6:07 pm

kipissippi wrote:Uh....maybe because it might be bringing a taser to a gun fight? Or a hit and run? Leave them alone John...they've had enough grief.

If you had half a brain, you know you don't use a Taser with a gun on you. But if someone pulls a knife you disable them. Anyway out of Mexico person, MYOB.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by fastrak Wed May 16, 2012 6:16 pm

johninajijic wrote:

STUPID IDEA!!!

John, you only think it was a stupid idea because it was not your idea.

If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.

I like trailerrunners idea.

They should also have a button for "dumbass", so people can use that if they want. Moving to Ajijic with a Very Outgoing Teen - Page 2 87465
fastrak
fastrak

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorka Wed May 16, 2012 7:58 pm

I would highy caution you about bringing "children" here. Although we don't feel threatened in any way here, I would not bring underage kids to this enviornment, not now. I feel it is better to err on the way of caution rather than ever having to life with the........."we shouldn't have's.
Dont do it...........stay home until the kiddies can fend for themselves - it's simply not worth the risk. At least to us.
FYI, our Mexican friends, maid & gardener would LOVE TO LEAVE and take their children out of this mess. As gringo adults we only have ourselves to worry about, children& grandkids back NOB - something happens to us it's our choice. Something happens to you ...............or your kids...........different story. Personally I would n't take the risk.
JUst my two cents.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
hugs

Lorka

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Fri May 18, 2012 8:27 pm

My kid is older than a teenager now, but I'd not bring her here while all these random kidnappings are going on. Why don't you look into other more stable places, like Ecuador? Many people from here are going there.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri May 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Many? I doubt that.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 pm

*Sigh.*

More than two. Better?

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2