INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yummy Berries!

+6
Walter
sparks
saege007
CanuckBob
johninajijic
Chapalagringa
10 posters

Go down

Yummy Berries! Empty Yummy Berries!

Post by Chapalagringa Thu May 10, 2012 4:16 pm

A huge benefit to living lakeside year round are the fresh berries; raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, & blackberries. I noticed that many times the blackberries are kind of sour but I freeze them & use them in our fresh natural unsweetened yogurt smoothies w/raw honey in place of ice cubes. Love ice cream but these delicious desserts are good for us! Good flora, antioxidants & immune system building! So many healthy benefits to berries!

Little feet, in my house, loves fresh berries. After disinfecting these babies w/grapefruit seed extract, I filled a bowl full for little feet and another bowl full for me. Wow, the blackberries are amazing! Sweet & hugantic! I'm shocked but delighted! Little feet also said, "yummy!" and enthusiastically asked for a refill of the same :)

I remember the first year out here, not knowing where to find anything really & asking where's the berries? For any newbie that may like to find some, we buy ours from the berry lady & her husband that sit in front of the liquor store next door to Super Lake.

Bon Appétit!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Yummy Berries! Empty Re: Yummy Berries!

Post by johninajijic Thu May 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Nice refreshing post!!! Mmmmm......good! We buy mostly strawberries and black raspberries to use in our homemade ice cream and in pancakes and waffles. After cleaning them we package them up in small bunches and freeze them.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu May 10, 2012 4:49 pm

oh man, get me started on food...lol

My dad does not like yogurt...I think I mentioned in a post that some family members wanted store bought foam. I told them I'd be insulted if they brought it home & insisted we make homemade ice cream. Not just once, but we made it 3 times in 10 days! It was so good! But all that sugar, not so good :(

Mi esposo y yo estan gordos, otra vez so back to eating really healthy & lots of exercise to find less of us to love. :)

Love, love, love waffles! My favorite breakfast! Gotta get another waffle iron, maybe cast iron!

When you start homestead cooking, you discover how to make the original. When I learned how to make almond milk, I didn't have the heart to throw out all that almond meat. If you dehydrate it, I use the oven on low heat, you can grind the dried meat in a coffee grinder & walah, fresh almond flour! We're not gluten intolerant or anything but I had to find something to make with it. Almond pancakes became a healthier alternative for us. We like them hot with raw honey drizzled on top.

Last fall I was adventurous and made fresh apple pectic & then made strawberry freezer jam...sometimes my first tries are boo boos so that served us with strawberry syrup but the second batch I made w/blackberries...it was to die for! Been thinking about making some more freezer jam. So yummy with homemade biscuits. haha I can't make this stuff, I'm trying to lose some of me!

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Any idea why the blueberries in the markets are so much more expensive than the others? Don't they come from southern Jalisco?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu May 10, 2012 4:55 pm

As far as I know, they're grown in Jocotepec!!! I think probably size has something to with part of it & the that the supply is always limited.

Really, blueberries are grown in Alaska! There you'll find blueberry tea & the most scrumptious blueberry ice cream while in season!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Thu May 10, 2012 8:22 pm

I love Maine blueberries. When I was little and lived in Maine, every weekend morning, my parents would send me, my brother and sister out to pick fresh blueberries.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Thu May 10, 2012 8:35 pm

When I lived in Joco I either had a neighbor that worked in the berry farms bring some free ... or people showed up at my gate selling them. Lived about 5 blocks from a raspberry farm. Yummmm
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Thu May 10, 2012 8:41 pm

saege- Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and I believe a part of Quebec are the only areas that have "wild blueberries". They are smaller and tastier than cultivated ones.

Having worked for a blueberry operation in N.B., I would hardly consider them wild. They are tastier and have higher levels of anti-oxidents. Care for some "Blueberry Grunt"? Very Happy
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu May 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Strawberries were 15 pesos per kilo at our tianguies in GDL,a little vanilla ice cream from La Michoacana and you have a nice dessert.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Blueberries are fine but given a choice I would always take Huckleberries from the mountains of the Pacific Northwest. Smaller berry with a more intense flavor. Royal PITA to pick and clean and one always has to be on the lookout for bear. Huckleberries are not grown commercially but around Spokane, WA, I have seen them selling for $20/gal along the highways near where they are picked.

RE: "have higher levels of anti-oxidents". I saw a report the other day that indicated that blueberries only provided this health benefit if they have been frozen. ??????

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 pm

You can find wild blueberries growing outside of Whistler in B.C. and in northern Ontario (along highway 7).
Where their are pine trees growing, you'll probably fine wild blueberries. The pine needles make the soil acidic and blueberries love growing in that soil.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu May 10, 2012 9:03 pm

While huckleberries may often be called wild blueberries, they are a different plant and a different berry:
http://www.helium.com/items/779506-comparing-huckleberries-and-blueberries

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu May 10, 2012 10:36 pm

In order of most anti oxidants: Wild Blueberries, Cultivated Blueberries, Cranberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries. Source: WebMD

We buy Frozen Blueberries at Costco, lasts almost a year.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri May 11, 2012 7:50 am

Please add Ontario to the list of CDN wild blueberry locales. The Costcos here in Vancouver carry frozen wild CDN blue berries. Great product at a good price.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Fri May 11, 2012 7:52 am

This explains the difference.

http://www.wildblueberries.com/news/faqs.php
Walter
Walter