INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hints for Shopping Tonala on Market Day

+4
ajijicmoose
Jim W
Zedinmexico
CheenaGringo
8 posters

Go down

Hints for Shopping Tonala on Market Day Empty Hints for Shopping Tonala on Market Day

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 pm

As most are aware, Thursdays and Sundays are Market Days in Tonala. Driving in and back out can be a bit of a challenge and somewhat chaotic. After too many Market Days to count, I thought I would pass on some hints to reduce the stress:
1) We attempt to arrive prior to 10am.
2) We have a favorite parking lot located at #75 Francisco I Madero between 16th de Septiembre and Zaragoza:
[img]Hints for Shopping Tonala on Market Day Tonala10[/img]
One of the positives to this location is that one enters off the one way street of Francisco I. Madero and you exit on another one way, Javier Mina headed in the correct direction to exit Tonala.

[img]Hints for Shopping Tonala on Market Day Tonala11[/img]

There are two routes to take into Tonala:
A) The traditional route which has you entering Tonala on the cloverleaf shown on the bottom of the above map. Getting to Francisco I. Madero is relatively simple. You go to that first stoplight at the intersection of Tonaltecas and Ave. Tonala and then take a right turn.
Following Ave Tonala around the bend will dump you on Francisco Madero straight ahead. The parking lot will be two and a half blocks down on your left right next to Banamex.
B) The other new but more controversial route is to take the exit following the airport and come into the far side of Tonala. This route puts one on Galeana which then turns into Cruz Blanca. One then makes a right turn onto Francisco Madero.

While I don't claim that this suggestion is totally painless, it does tend to keep you away from most of the crazy traffic.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Hints for Shopping Tonala on Market Day Empty Re: Hints for Shopping Tonala on Market Day

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Buck buck buck buck that is the sound of me still being to chicken to drive there.
Thanks for posting this.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Hints for Shopping Tonala on Market Day Empty Re: Hints for Shopping Tonala on Market Day

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Come on Zed, there is nothing to driving there providing you head in after the morning commute and get back out before the evening commute! I would guess that we have made 50 round trips through the years and it is no worse than driving Ajijic to Chapala on a busy weekend day and you get to drive faster.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Buck buck buck buck that is the sound of me still being to chicken to drive there.
Thanks for posting this.

Z

Zed, it really is a piece of cake.....however another option is to take the express bus from Chapala bus station, then taxi to tonala.....eliminates the parking issues........Just a thought.

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by ajijicmoose Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:58 pm

CheenaGringo, thank you so much for this great info about where to park in Tonala on market days! It will hectic enough for us on our first visit. This will make it a LOT less stressful. Very Happy 

ajijicmoose

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Just got back from there a hour ago. It hasn't been as busy on market days the last couple of times I have gone.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ajijicmoose Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:22 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Just got back from there a hour ago. It hasn't been as busy on market days the last couple of times I have gone.

Thanks CanuckBob. That is very helpful and welcome info too. Maybe now that we're into the hot season, things have cooled off a bit on market daze. ;-) We'll be headed up there next Thursday.

Thanks again...

ajijicmoose

Back to top Go down

Post by lobita Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks for the tips, Neil.

When would y'all estimate that morning 'rush hour' ends? And afternoon begins?
lobita
lobita
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:16 pm

When we were there a couple of times back in February, our best luck with traffic go to was about 9:30am and we usually were out of there between 2:30 and 3:30pm. Since we were staying in Tlaquepaque, that was the section of highway of prime interest. With the Guadalajara weather hitting the high 80's and low 90's, I would say we would want out of there no later than 2:30pm.

As far as business being kind of slow in Tonala, this appears to be a sign of the times rather than an influence of the warmer weather. Tonala merchants have been hit hard and could really use some customers!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:21 pm

July and August are busy times on market days as it is school vacation time and whoooole families show up to shop. Nobody stays home. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Life is way too short to go to that zoo. I go to Tonala when the market is not on and love it but market days are not for me.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down