INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Meat Markets/

+6
ComputerGuy
CanuckBob
johninajijic
David
merry
SunsetKid
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Meat Markets/ Empty New Meat Markets/

Post by SunsetKid Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:51 am

What happened to the two meat markets that were supposed to open? One in La Floresta and the one on Rio Bravo.
SunsetKid
SunsetKid
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Bill Maher/Chevy Chase/Life in general

Back to top Go down

New Meat Markets/ Empty Re: New Meat Markets/

Post by merry Mon May 21, 2012 2:49 pm

The one in La Floresta definitely opened, it's next to the German restaurant.

I don't know about one on Rio Bravo.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 21, 2012 3:52 pm

The other new one is in Interlago Plaza.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon May 21, 2012 4:04 pm

merry wrote:The one in La Floresta definitely opened, it's next to the German restaurant.

I don't know about one on Rio Bravo.
Merry

Rio Bravo. Where? isn't that residential?

The small meat market in La Huerta Plaza is good. It's a husband and wife thing and they speak good English. We bought hamburger there. We also had them slice some Milanesa Pork. She did a terrific job. Nice people.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:57 am

On Thursday, we went to the meat market in La Huerta Plaza next to Pescaderia Pacifico. We bought about 600 grams of hamburger and 600 grams of ground pork mixed together for a meat loaf. The Meat Loaf was delicious, nice and moist.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:31 am

Yes, as a witness and participant to this meatloaf I must say it was awesome. My wife commented that it was the best meatloaf she has ever had. Joe is one good chef.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:34 pm

johninajijic wrote:On Thursday, we went to the meat market in La Huerta Plaza next to Pescaderia Pacifico. We bought about 600 grams of hamburger and 600 grams of ground pork mixed together for a meat loaf. The Meat Loaf was delicious, nice and moist.

A word of warning to the unsuspecting, anything sold as "carne molida" which appears to us as duh, hamburger, can be ANY combination of beef and pork. This is why the burgers at many restaurants taste different to you. Most are about 50-50. Also why if you ask for rare, they may ask, "are you SURE?" for a good reason. As a bloody rare-loving Texan who has also experienced salmonella, I've learned to get any ground meet cooked to Medium or more.

Merry

p.s. Same with carne molida you buy at the grocery stores or walmart... pork AND beef.

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 pm

merry wrote:
johninajijic wrote:On Thursday, we went to the meat market in La Huerta Plaza next to Pescaderia Pacifico. We bought about 600 grams of hamburger and 600 grams of ground pork mixed together for a meat loaf. The Meat Loaf was delicious, nice and moist.

A word of warning to the unsuspecting, anything sold as "carne molida" which appears to us as duh, hamburger, can be ANY combination of beef and pork. This is why the burgers at many restaurants taste different to you. Most are about 50-50. Also why if you ask for rare, they may ask, "are you SURE?" for a good reason. As a bloody rare-loving Texan who has also experienced salmonella, I've learned to get any ground meet cooked to Medium or more.

Merry

p.s. Same with carne molida you buy at the grocery stores or walmart... pork AND beef.

And carne de res? When they show you the 3 lb piece of beef, cut it off and grind it, it is not a mixture. We bought a separate 600 grams of pork, had it ground then mixed.

How about Walmart's ground Sirloin. It IS 100% beef. Just by the red color.

I know hamburgers in different restaurants taste different here because these restauranteurs use anything and are only interested in making a buck. I never order Hamburgers in a restaurant. In fact tonight we are having 5/16 - 3/8 lb Hamburgers cooked Medium rare at our house. Deeliscious.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:03 pm

merry wrote:A word of warning to the unsuspecting, anything sold as "carne molida" which appears to us as duh, hamburger, can be ANY combination of beef and pork. .. Same with carne molida you buy at the grocery stores or walmart... pork AND beef.

johninajijic wrote:And carne de res? When they show you the 3 lb piece of beef, cut it off and grind it, it is not a mixture. We bought a separate 600 grams of pork, had it ground then mixed.

How about Walmart's ground Sirloin. It IS 100% beef. Just by the red color.

John, my post said "carne molida" literally milled or ground meat. "Carne de res" that you are talking about literally means meat of beef. That's not what I was talking about. Pork can contain salmonella and trichinosis and must be cooked well. Carne de res can safely be cooked less well ("pull off the horns and stop mooing.")

BTW, Walmart does sell a very red "carne molida." Not sayin' they mislabel. "Molida de res" would probably be safe depending on how much you trust the market.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Can I ask how were the prices for the ground beef at the butcher in La Huerta? I know beef prices have gone up, but for Mexico 62p/kilo seems to be a little high, when a couple of months ago I was paying 44 or thereabouts.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:46 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Can I ask how were the prices for the ground beef at the butcher in La Huerta? I know beef prices have gone up, but for Mexico 62p/kilo seems to be a little high, when a couple of months ago I was paying 44 or thereabouts.

Hamburger or ground beef is not created equal. There is ground chuck (cheapest, most fat) and ground sirloin (least fat). In Mexico, many places call another one Especiale. Ground sirloin in Walmart is $ 62 a kilo. Ground beef (not sirloin) at the La Huerta market was $ 65 a kilo.

The Meat Loaf was excellent. It cooks in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. No worry about salmonella or trichinosis. If you cook pork chops, you can cook them pink and never have a problem.

We have never had typhoid or salmonella. We're careful where we eat and what we eat. We would NEVER eat at a food stand.

Last edited by johninajijic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Yeah, John, I get it. But this is not a country that typically labels their ground beef. You said yourself "600 grams of hamburger"... that's hardly definitive. You go to El Torito and you get one price, period. Same as many butchers. We are different around here NOW, because of the integrated population.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Walmart labels it's ground beef clearly. Tony's tells you what it is like other markets.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes, I know. I actually walk into these places and can read labels and stuff.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Just for the record, Trichinosis is name of the disease you get from eating undercooked pork that is infected with the tapeworm Taenia solium. The beef tapeworm is called Taenia saginata.
Needless to say, I like my pork and beef cooked but faintly pink.
Thanks John for the info about the meat market in the La Huerta plaza...if you haven't tried their pork chops...about 3/4 of an inch thick...on the BBQ, you are in for a real treat. I will try their other products now too.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:14 pm

ferret:

Thank you for the reminder about Tapeworms! Been there and done that while living in India and I will verify that the cure may be worse than the worm. Atabrine chased with coconut milk isn't my idea of a fun time! Let the Atabrine touch the inside of your mouth and you will taste the bitterness for a good week.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:14 pm

Can't you get the tapeworm with a Mars bar and a baseball bat.......??????
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:50 pm

Only when it gets to be thirty meters long. :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:59 pm

So for the smaller ones were are looking at a Skittles and a pair of tweezers......jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:40 pm

They have good chops, too? I'll have to go. I bought some at Costco this week and am disappointed that they've started cutting them thinner, and hiding the ass-end of the loin under the good ones. You'll agree that BBQ'd chops need to be thick to cook properly.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Going back to the burger discussion, we came up with a combination based upon a restaurant recipe we saw somewhere. 80% lean ground sirloin mixture + 20% ground smoked bacon. We have this done at a specialty meat market known for a good grade of meats. The burgers stay juicy while being cooked and come out super tasty. For a variation, we take crumbled Gorgonzola cheese mixed in the patty and then melt Camembert slices on top.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:05 pm

HelperGuy wrote:They have good chops, too? I'll have to go. I bought some at Costco this week and am disappointed that they've started cutting them thinner, and hiding the ass-end of the loin under the good ones. You'll agree that BBQ'd chops need to be thick to cook properly.

We have been buying our Boneless Center cut Pork Chops at Costco for 11 years. We only buy the 1 inch thick ones. Always tender and juicy even when pan fried. I mean the juice runs out into your plate. We will not buy the thin ones. Don't like them.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:06 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Going back to the burger discussion, we came up with a combination based upon a restaurant recipe we saw somewhere. 80% lean ground sirloin mixture + 20% ground smoked bacon. We have this done at a specialty meat market known for a good grade of meats. The burgers stay juicy while being cooked and come out super tasty. For a variation, we take crumbled Gorgonzola cheese mixed in the patty and then melt Camembert slices on top.

Sounds great and now for precaution please post 911 or 065 near the phone, depending on location, just in case. Ha! Ha! Ha! Very Happy I Know, everything in moderation, damn.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:53 pm

johninajijic wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:They have good chops, too? I'll have to go. I bought some at Costco this week and am disappointed that they've started cutting them thinner, and hiding the ass-end of the loin under the good ones. You'll agree that BBQ'd chops need to be thick to cook properly.

We have been buying our Boneless Center cut Pork Chops at Costco for 11 years. We only buy the 1 inch thick ones. Always tender and juicy even when pan fried. I mean the juice runs out into your plate. We will not buy the thin ones. Don't like them.
Didn't see any of those this week. They usually have two styles, right? Thin ones and thicker ones. And the thicker ones are the ones I got that are like a half an inch, now... that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:22 pm

You can always ask them to cut exactly what you prefer. We do it often.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next