INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib

3 posters

Go down

An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib Empty An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:47 pm

[i]This recipe has been around many years and is one of the most foolproof I have ever found:[u]

PRIME RIB ROAST

This recipe works the same no matter what size of roast! It works best if one can purchase a prime grade roast but a choice grade with a decent amount of marbling works fine too.

Preparation – You will want to take the roast out of the refrigerator and allow to come to room temp – 3 to 5 hours depending on the size. Season the roast according to your personal preferences. In our case:
I poked garlic and rosemary sprigs through the fat layer and applied sea salt & pepper when the roast first came out of the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 375.
While the oven was heating grind multicolor peppercorns and then add Kosher Salt.
In the food processor, grind garlic cloves and more rosemary sprigs into a coarse grind.
Add 10oz of Inglehoffer Stone Ground Mustard.
Add salt & pepper mixture and blend into paste.
Choose a roasting pan just large enough for the roast as this will minimize juice evaporation.
Place roast bone side down in roasting pan.
Apply seasoning paste if you have chosen to go this route.

Put roast on center rack of the oven and under penalty of law, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!

After one hour, turn the oven off. Plan on the roast sitting in the oven 3 to 4 hours with the reminder:
under penalty of law, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!
Approximately 1 hour before you wish to eat, turn the oven back to 375. Depending on your personal preferences, leave the roast in the oven 30 to 35 minutes for rare, 40 to 45 minutes for medium rare to medium or 50 to 55 minutes for medium well. The end cuts will be cooked more than the center, so you will get a variety of doneness for you to serve to different preferences. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes covered in foil before carving.

The major limitation of this recipe is that any desired sides must be either stovetop or in a microwave.

Photos from New Years Eve:
Roast w/mustard mixture before going in the oven:
[img]An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib Dscn2414[/img]
Roast with mustard crust removed after cooking:
[img]An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib Dscn2415[/img]
Roast sliced for serving:
[img]An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib Dscn2416[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib Empty Re: An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:02 pm

I cooked this exact Prime Rib roast dinner last night. We call the recipe "no peeky" roast.

Didn't we have a debate with someone about this recipe last year?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib Empty Re: An Alternative Recipe for Cooking Prime Rib

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Too funny CB! At least you don't need convincing that this is not only an easy way to cook prime rib but also produces excellent results. Because of a phone call, I was a bit tardy taking the roast out at just the right time and it was a bit more done than I prefer.

Don't remember a prior debate on anything other than people questioning the reasoning behind bringing meat to room temperature prior to cooking.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:34 pm

I found it. Maybe you weren't part of this previous discussion. Have a read.

https://lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net/t1572-prime-rib
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Now, I remember the thread. All I can say it that my mother started preparing using this method a good 50 years ago and she prepared it that way in countries ranging from the Philippines to India to Malaysia and in the US and we certainly never experienced the dangers or problems alluded to by GBATRUCKS. Sure I will often cook one on the BBQ but not without a great deal more attention and work!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks CG. I cannot imagine finding or having a piece of Prime Rib like that in Mexico. Guess I'll have to wait to go to the US or Toronto for vacation.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Actually John, that particular roast was purchased from our local Albertsons grocery store when they were running a $4.79/lb special. While they only offer "choice grade", we do pick through the selection to find the best marbling. On the other hand, our local Costco was selling "prime grade" but at $8.99/lb for bone in. From my experience, this method seems to minimize the difference in grades. I have no idea why but it seems to work that way. On the other hand, if I am doing a Prime Rib Roast on the BBQ, I won't go through the extra effort unless it is prime.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down