INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car window getting difficult to operate.

5 posters

Go down

Car window getting difficult to operate. Empty Car window getting difficult to operate.

Post by Carry Bean Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:35 pm

At first it would get sort of stuck when it was about 3/4 rolled up. Now it’s almost impossible. Who can repair the motor hopefully locally? I don’t want to take it to Guad if I can avoid it.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Car window getting difficult to operate. Empty Re: Car window getting difficult to operate.

Post by mudgirl Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:51 pm

That happened to my car once. As I recall, my mechanic didn't "repair the motor"- it required replacing the mechanism (maybe that was the motor) in the door handle where the buttons are. But it wasn't a very expensive a job.
I've always thought they should have a manual window crank option for when this happens.

Any competent mechanic should be able to do this.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Car window getting difficult to operate. Empty Re: Car window getting difficult to operate.

Post by kiko Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:10 pm

I would try a body shop.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:40 pm

Thanks! I googled abd t was suggested to use a silicone spray in the tracks of the window so I guess I will try that first then follow up with your suggestions.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:43 pm

kiko wrote:I would try a body shop.
 It's more an auto-electric job than a bodywork job, I think. As I recall, my mechanic didn't have to take the door apart, just removed the handle where the buttons are located. 

I actually just looked it up and car windows don't have any motor. They work off the car battery (I thought so, but wasn't sure) so it's just wiring and button mechanism in there.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:52 pm

That’s interesting. I thought there was a motor. Maybe the silicone spray will work.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Phillips Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:02 am

I had the same problem with my old Oldsmobile.  My main "go to" mechanic - Beto, at Hernandez Llantera - beside Tony's Butcher Shop in  S.A.T. took it apart and found I needed a new switch.

Beto's brother is an auto electric expert who can also help if it's an electric problem.
Bill Phillips
Bill Phillips
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Carry Bean, caligirl108 and Plan B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:29 pm

Thanks for jogging my memory, Bill. It was in fact the switch that needed to be replaced when my windows wouldn't work.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rafterbr Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:18 pm

First power window was used by Cadillac in the 1920's. Until 1990's motor's were used.

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Phillips Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:18 pm

My Olds is a 1987 Cutlass.  Parts aren't that readily available so, as I'm a snow bird, I'm bringing the new switch when we "migrate"  from Canada in a month.
Bill Phillips
Bill Phillips
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down