INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT WE CAN DO FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS

+3
hockables
raqueteer
gringal
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WHAT WE CAN DO FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS Empty WHAT WE CAN DO FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS

Post by gringal Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:29 pm

So.......here is the new, (bicker-free so far) topic.
Will the people who posted practical ideas on the "scam" thread please move it over here and others can add good ones of their own.
Solo?
Raqueteer?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

WHAT WE CAN DO FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS Empty Re: WHAT WE CAN DO FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Thank you gringal. Now don't everyone all jump in here at once.

I will not be able to participate much due to neck pain, however have made a short list of things which I have available after numerous projects here.

Unused tiles, enough for a small kitchen work area.
Fabric for curtains
Clean pieces of unused wood suitable for shelving.
Bricks
Paint which was an unsuitable color.
Bags of door and drawer handles.
Light fixtures.
A sink plus all fittings
A large metal display stand for vegetables or other items for sale.
Wooden rods for hanging clothes.
2 boxes of masks to protect against the nasty bugs in dust after a mudslide.

That is a start, since I haven't been able to do a survey of the bodegas.

Kitchen and other items will have to wait till I get this pain under control.

A suggestion, if we were to keep a running tally perhaps some willing gringos such as ourselves can chip in to hire a truck for delivery as needed. Solo can keep us up to date on the needs as that information become available.

One other thought I had last night was first aid kits for people working on reconstruction.

I'm sure many others have more and probably better ideas, so please just keep adding them in, even before we have a new thread.

Now, before anyone jumps on my back for the seeming triviality of these items. In prior experience, the Government did a fantastic job of providing the basics including new appliances. The things which were needed in order to restore some sense of home were little things like dishtowels, plates glasses fabric, etc. So don't think that these seemingly small things don't count, because they do.

Which reminds me

2 boxes of glasses 48 each.
Throw cushions
5 bottles of liquid chlorophyll for energy and boosting the immune system.
Soap.
2 large bottles of tylenol

These I don't have, but toys for the kids, we need to know how many of each sex.
Crayons and coloring books.
For the women, hairspray, deodorant, lipgloss etc.

The neck is still bad, but as I'm lying around on my back doing nothing, I'll try to think of more.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

WHAT WE CAN DO FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS Empty Re: WHAT WE CAN DO FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS

Post by gringal Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:26 pm

Just hang in there and do what you can when you're feeling better.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Thanks. Will do.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:21 pm

might I suggest you all board the Bus for a short 4.5 hr drive...

bring rubber boots & gloves

....very much like the slide @ Racquet Club & San Juan Cosalla... only a much larger scale ... it's going to be a mess...

U might chip in to hire / pay for a truckload of clay roof tiles... send em down to Solovino

armchair quarterbacks need not apply....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Good idea Hocks. First we need a bit more info as to the current sate of affairs. We don't know what kind of structures are being rebuilt, clay tiles may be too heavy.

Maybe some prioritization is in order.

First, necessary personal items, and building supplies plus toys for the kids. Then household items.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Solo's post from page 6:

"My daughter and I met with the Director of Social Development for the municipality of Cihuatlán today. He took us on a tour of some areas heavily affected by Hurricane Jova. These were areas on the outskirts of the town of Cihuatlán which are home, or in some cases, were home to the more impoverished people of the region.

On the drive home my daughter and I were talking about what a difficult life so many people here have. When you get up close to this level of poverty you realize that for many there really is little chance of them escaping and when/where there is no hope it is easy to understand how so many resort to crime.

[img]WHAT WE CAN DO FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS 20464010[/img]

[img]WHAT WE CAN DO FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS 21747410[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks Neil. I just got off the phone with our youngest grand daughter who was full of suggestions for the kids. Books, yo yos etc.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Still waiting for contact information to be posted from Solovino.

Having just moved here from the coast, there is nothing "stashed" anywhere that could be of use. Everything we own came in one van. I do, however, have a number of plastic boxes with lids that are stackable. If you've ever lived on the coast, you'll remember that if it's not in plastic it's either gonna grow mold or rust or rot.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Thank you most sincerely ferret. It appears that the board has taken leave of its senses this evening. Plastic boxes would be fantastic.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:55 am

I will try to have information for a collection center for donated items today. The person coordinating the relief efforts was out all day yesterday and may have been in an area that doesn't have cell coverage.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks Solovino. Is there any way to get some kind of an idea about how many children there are, and approximate ages and sex? Seems to me some kind of coordinated effort could be made quickly to get some toys and cuddly things to the little ones. Plus things to do like drawing and reading materials.

TIA

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:07 pm

The one item I did not see on the list is FOOD!

Probably canned and dried foods will travel the best - beans, rice, oats, canned veggies and fruits (and can openers). Will stock up in anticipation of delivery info. Also pots and pans to cook in.

Also towels and clothing for men, women, children - all sizes and all ages and diapers - warm clothing (don't know anything about this area but probably getting cold) and blankets.

Solovino - if you can give me any info I can post on 5 other chat groups.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:18 pm

The coastal area stays pretty warm year round. Basics like t-shirts, shorts and other cottons would be needed.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:22 pm

gringal wrote:The coastal area stays pretty warm year round. Basics like t-shirts, shorts and other cottons would be needed.

OK, maybe Solovino could tell us where this is located - I know near the coast but don't know exactly were - and if I drum up donors they will want to know where.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:00 pm

It is my understanding that the government has provided food and clothing, however it's probably pretty basic stuff. I think that some nice treats like canned fruit etc. would go a long way to making everyone there feel a bit happier. Dried fruit like raisins etc. might also be a good idea. Trail mix?

I could be wrong but maybe we can await further information.

Meanwhile, if there are willing donors, maybe someone could coordinate getting some nice things for the kids. I'm sure their parents could use a break from soothing children who have lost their prized stuffed comfort toys and have nothing to do. It would help the kids and also help the rebuilding efforts. Just one less worry.

Ideas?

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Dried fruit doesn't stay dry there and gets moldy very quickly...trail mix is the same if it contains raisins. Nature Valley Oat & Honey bars are individually wrapped and sealed...they're OK.

I'm going to Guad tomorrow...one of the stops will be Home Depot. I want to look at some tarps. A tarp can provide shelter from the sun during rebuilding or a quick fix for a roof that has been damaged.

And some soccer balls so everyone can play...no bickering about who got what or how they're going to keep it to themselves.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Great ideas ferret. I'm probably going in as well so will see what I can find in the crayon and coloring book department. Those are also shareable.
I didn't know about the dried stuff. Thanks for the info.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Donations can be sent to:

Casa de la Cultura
Cihuatlan, Jalisco

atencion: maestra Celia Pulido

Any thing is appreciated but clothing and food stuffs have pretty much been covered.

Diapers, baby bottles, toys, dishes, pots and pans, sheets, towels, pillows etc.

One of the things that will be given priority are getting roofs over people's heads, then start on the rest of the house. Corrugated asphalt roofing material comes in packs of 20 sheets that will cover 10 m2 with a price of 4920 pesos for 20 packs. This material can also be used for temporary walls. I am waiting for a call from a guy that mills lumber from coconut palm. It will be used for rafters and lath to fasten the sheet goods to.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Great, now if we can coordinate the donations of these household and other needed items, there would be two good options IMO, if the donation level is small, items could be sent by messenger, or if the roads are O.K. taken there directly by someone. If we have a sizable quantity, then possibly a local driver with a truck could be hired for the day. Monetary donations could be sent directly or through Solovino.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish all this?

Is there a phone number for Maestra Celia Pulido?

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Just checking on the numbers it appears that the municipality of Cihuatlan has about 520 families who require aid, and 2200 homes to be rebuilt.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:18 pm

As you know today was the Day of the Dead so not much was going on with the relief efforts.

I will see about a number for Celia Pulido when I get a chance. Tomorrow the director will help distribute despensas and clothing that were donated by some Pemex station owners in Guadalajara. They are doing their best to get the aid directly to the most needy so will spend most of the day away from the office.

I need a couple of days to tend to personal matters (like work and other crappy stuff!) but plan to spend some time the beginning of next week organizing a couple of small work crews that will help repair damaged dwellings. So for those who wish to contribute please be patient and I'll do my best with answering any questions as time allows. I would also like to say that I will not be personally accepting cash donations from people.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Since most of the efforts right now are clean up and rebuilding another few days doesn't matter in the least.

I did read that they were accepting cheques, so once I am able to get in touch with the Maestra, will post details of how to get those cheques directly to the people who need help. Most likely through her, but not necessarily, she may be too busy.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:37 am

BUMP.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:55 pm

Donations of goods are being accepted at the DIF in Chapala until November 18th.

http://guadalajarareporter.com/expat-living-mainmenu-91/lake-chapala-mainmenu-51/community-news-mainmenu-64/29940-chapala-dif-collects-goods-for-jova-victims.html

Could government be any more screwed up... http://guadalajarareporter.com/news-mainmenu-82/regional-mainmenu-85/29879-jova-relief-package-stalls-in-congress.html

And another... http://guadalajarareporter.com/news-mainmenu-82/regional-mainmenu-85/29923-governor-sidesteps-congress-for-jova-loan.html

After reading the above, I wonder why there isn't a relief fund bank account or equivalency where people can donate the desperately needed MONEY required to repair damaged homes and infrastructure. Even buying the food and personal products needed LOCALLY would stimulate the economy there...JMHO...YMMV
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next