INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tropical Storm Lidia

+4
Jreboll
MexicoPete
mudgirl
ferret
8 posters

Go down

Tropical Storm Lidia Empty Tropical Storm Lidia

Post by ferret Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:25 am

Lidia is going to pull a Kenna... aka a sharp right turn and affect the area around Puerto Vallarta and us to a lesser extent. Be safe!

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep5+shtml/144538.shtml?cone#contents
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Tropical Storm Lidia Empty Re: Tropical Storm Lidia

Post by mudgirl Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:23 pm

Thanks for the "be safe", ferret. I hope we don't get a repeat here in the PV area of the devastation that happened last year when a hurricane swept by.
I see someone on TOB posted "Great!" hoping for more rain. Like who cares if people on the coast get flooded out or there are lives in danger.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:12 pm

It would be nice, though, if the storm brings a safe amount of rain to many areas including ours. We are way behind this year, And, of course, we hope that there is no serious flooding or damage to those imparted by the storm.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:38 pm

This is going to be a One Two punch. There is a developing system just south of Acapulco which is also going to affect the area. Put your cursor in the red X to see what the experts think this one is going to do next... https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?epac
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:47 pm

I have a 7am flight GDL-SA for Thursday. Think there’ll be much turbulence?

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:17 pm

Major deluge here in Sayulita right now. 5 gallon pail under my balcony water spout filled in 30 seconds.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:37 pm

I hated those deluges and was grateful we lived uphill and thought we were safe. Instead, the bridge didn't hold and cut us off... for months. Stay safe!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

mudgirl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:00 pm

Caleta de Campos 554km South of PV this afternoon,
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:27 pm

Mudgirl, please check in and let us know that you're okay!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by caligirl108 Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:08 pm

Checking on the Weather Underground by station, Colima got the most rain at 8 inches!!, with Manzanillo at 4.59 inches. PV got 3 inches, but La Penita (where Lidia supposedly landed) only got 1.5, same as we got here Lakeside as of now. But they had that pesky 140 mph wind thing going on, imagine all that galvanized corrugated steel flying about.  Guad seemed to have dodged the bullet tho - most stations recording only about a half an inch.  

Imagine Mudgirl lost power along with a number of communities Ferret.  Colima folk def need our prayers tonight. The storm hit that volcano & dumped on them, runoff from volcano, mudslides, omg.

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:20 am

We lost power here in Sayulita for about 36 hrs. Cell service and internet just came back on sometime last night.
Was really windy, not a whole lot of rain here. Heard a guy died in Punta de Mita when a tree fell on the car he was driving. (Don't know why people do dumb things like be out driving in a hurricane. One guy died in Baja where my daughter lives when they had a major hurricane several years ago- he was up on his roof securing something and got blown off.)

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:29 am

@mudgirl Glad to hear you are ok.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:31 am

Nice to hear from you! Were the lines downed by the wind or was it the usual cutting of power to be on the safe side IF the lines are downed? I don't think we could have survived without our little generator.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:57 am

Thanks for responses, folks.
I don't know why the power went out, but I imagine that branches fell on lines, if not here, then somewhere along the grid. Where I live, we are on the grid that comes from Punta de Mita. They didn't pre-emptively cut the power. It started flickering on and off at about 6:30pm and went out completely around 7:30 when the wind picked up. Because we had no internet or cell service, I didn't even know exactly where the hurricane hit land until this morning.

I'm now thinking about getting a little generator. We've lost power several times this rainy season. I don't mind no lights and candles, it's the defrosting fridge that's a drag.

Never quite understood why the electric is so dicey here. I lived on Vancouver Island for 30 years, where there are tons of rain and storms, and we only lost the power once. Of course, up there the electric company regularly trims trees over the power lines, what a concept. :-)

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

rafterbr and Plan B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:10 am

Lol....yes, a complete and utter lack of maintenance. Same with just about everything here.......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

mudgirl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:19 am

I hear ya. It also seems that CFE guys only work in perfect weather and definitely not 24/7. We had a Honda i2000 which was big enough to power the water pump, the pool pump, the fridge, etc. not all at the same time of course. The i stands for inverter which means it produces clean power that is good for any sensitive electronics like a laptop etc. The limitation is that it was gasoline operated and gas goes bad so you can't stash a lot of it. If there is a widespread outage then even the pumps at the gas station won't work either. There are propane generators but they are still inconvenient to operate because of size. If you can, look into a Jackery... they come in much more powerful versions now but they do not require combustible fuel. You can charge them from your house electricity (in preparation) or from your car OR WITH THEIR OWN SOLAR PANELS.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

mudgirl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:29 am

Thanks for that tip-I know nothing about generators, but one that doesn't require gasoline is what I would like- I'll check it out.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:34 am

CanuckBob wrote:Lol....yes, a complete and utter lack of maintenance. Same with just about everything here.......

You'd think they would have figured out by now that regular maintenance is cheaper in the long run than fixing things when they break, but thinking into the future seems to be an alien concept in Mexico.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

CanuckBob and ferret like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:04 am

So, further to the lack of maintenance, have you seen the flooding in Puerto Vallarta? Apparently all the rain in the mountains from the hurricane came down and the storm drains were clogged with plastic garbage so there was massive flooding.

And we still have poor Telcel data and my internet is out again.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:57 am

When things finally get back to normal, this is Jackery's website... https://www.jackery.com/pages/portable-power-stations
They are available on Amazon and Amazon Mexico as well. FYI, I have the smallest unit available (the 240). It holds its charge for well over a year and has served me well. Since I have all my electronics (laptop, modem etc.) plugged into a voltage/surge protector, if the power goes out I just put that one plug into the Jackery and I'm good to go. Plus I can plug in fans to that same voltage/surge regulator. You can buy a separate solar panel to power it (various options available but not necessarily Jackery although they are compatible) but I haven't needed it here since the electricity is rarely out now that the power infrastructure in Riberas was updated in 2018.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:19 pm

I was actually checking them out online this morning, ferret. Hooefully will have enough $ to buy one before next rainy season.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down