INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cost of living

+9
rafterbr
ferret
MexicoPete
coffeeguy
Jreboll
RickS
BisbeeGal
mudgirl
CanuckBob
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Cost of living - Page 3 Empty Re: Cost of living

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:48 am

BisbeeGal wrote:
gringal wrote:No question that there are different ways of dealing with health care for each of us.

I have never pretended to live in the U. S., and I am well aware that Medicare will not cover me in Mexico for other than emergency treatment...and then, probably not 18 years later. Based on my own Medicare deductions, I would have spent well over $43,000 by now. There would be no inexpensive way for me to spend time in the U.S. anyway, plus plane fare, so the choices have been limited.  The many expensive drugs I have to take have been going on for several  years and will probably continue for the balance of my life. Since I am well over 80, that will probably not be long.
So......different strokes here.  In my case, I believe I was financially ahead by dropping the monthly Medicare deduction.

It worked out for you, for many others it could result in catastrophic financial hardship or ruin.  

Surely you have known of expats here setting up GoFundMe accounts or having fundraisers because they cannot afford an expensive operation or treatment here.  A successful local restauranteur is currently having fundraisers held for his cancer treatments, as he has a few times in the past 10 years or so.  

People need to be aware of all the consequences as well as the intricacies of such an important financial decision.  

I guess he wasn't that successful. I would tell anyone who can't afford at least $50K in medical costs, to stay home.......or go back home. You shouldn't rely on the generosity of others. At least Americans can hang onto their medical coverage if they want. Canadians don't have that option.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

coffeeguy and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:16 am

A friend here just had stent surgery thru San Antonio Hospital and the hospital pushed the paperwork thru to Medicare, 320,000 MXN, for reimbursement. The cardio here said that they knew the claims procedure and coded it as an emergency for reimbursement. The patient paid San Antonio Hospital $1000 USD. I do not know which Medicare plans and supplements the patient had.

My Medigap G has a lifetime cap of $50,000 for emergency care out of the country. I have claimed on it twice in one year and both times I met all of the requirements of the policy. Both events were medical emergencies 100%. One condition was that I had only been in Mexico for less than 60 days, and that was the case both times. Both claims paid in 10 days with no dispute.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:44 pm

Jreboll wrote:We all have to make our own decisions as to how far we want to extend our lives.  Many times heroic measures are done in vain and I’ve many times seen the extreme of these measures. It is not for me to judge what is extreme for others but I have already made my decisions and so should each one of you.

Agree.  But age is a big factor and it is a moving target.  I'm 70 so I would consider battling a bad disease if the odds were in my favor.  Hence I will maintain my Medicare for that unforeseen circumstance.  

I may feel differently 10+ years from now.

Though my mother had quintuple heart bypass at age 81 and lived to be 92.  That surgery was a bigger deal in the 1980s than it is these days.  But she recovered nicely and continued to travel and live in her own home until her death.  She was packing for her winter trip to FL when she had her last heart attack.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

RickS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:59 pm

There is also the problem of the "rock and a hard place" for many people.  The U.S. place can become unaffordable on a retirement income, whereas Mexico is at least more reasonable in terms of housing, etc.  The decisions are probably never perfect, depending on health events especially.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Irish Gal, coffeeguy and brigitte like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:04 pm

I once interviewed a patient in his eighties who had had an aortic valve replacement when he was I his fifties. This was the old ball in cage valve that you could hear clicking from 2 feet away.
Each case is different. One has to make one’s own choices. A lot also depends on other pre existing co-morbidities.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:01 pm

Guess he had a hard time sneaking up on anyone. ;)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

CanuckBob, kiko and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:52 pm

Last edited by Plan B on Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder