INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

biodry system

+2
Jreboll
Plan B
6 posters

Go down

biodry system Empty biodry system

Post by Plan B Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:40 pm

https://www.biodry.eu/en/

Has anyone have direct experience with this system? If so, please elaborate. Thank you.
biodry system Screen18
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

biodry system Empty Re: biodry system

Post by Jreboll Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:48 pm

I had the same thing. My problem was that water would accumulate at the base of the wall and humidity would creep up

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:02 pm

The biggest problem here seems to be that the local construction techniques don't use any waterproofing whatsoever on the foundations so ground water will continuously wick up through the concrete. This makes it impossible to fix long term. Repairing salitre on a regular basis is a fact of life for most homeowners here.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Carry Bean, addtocart and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:19 pm

It would be nice to have a better solution when contractors fail to do their job properly. I don't seem to be able to paste a web capture here so I will post the link where I put the information including the link to Biodry Mexico ...
https://chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/102657-biodry/
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:56 pm

I have my doubts this would work here, where it rains 3-4 months in a row with high humidity.
You have to eliminate the source of the moisture to get a permanent fix (permanent fixes are possible).

When my house was built, I tarred all the foundations from the base to several inches above ground. I had no salitre anywhere until the French drain on the "water side" of my house plugged up after several years, and rainwater was standing against the side of my house all summer. Then salitre appeared on the inside of that wall.

I had the French drain redone, treated the salitre (a process which takes several months  before repainting if you don't want it coming back), then resealed and repainted and the salitre hasn't come back.

To get rid of the salitre once the cause of the moisture has been remedied, you have to scrape it down, paint it with muriatic acid, rinse the acid off and wait. When you see the salitre starting to form again, you repeat that process until there is no more
salitre coming out for several weeks. Only then can you reseal and repaint the wall.

Another thing I see construction crews do here aside from not sealing foundations is painting the house inside and out right after the walls are finished. It takes months for cement to cure. If you paint right away, you are trapping the moisture in the walls and it has to come out somewhere, hence you get salitre.
My outside walls are not painted at all- we used colored plaster. I waited 6 months to seal those walls with clear sealer, and to seal and paint the interior walls.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal, ferret, rafterbr and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:27 pm

I also suspect the type of paint that we tend to use is suspect. If I had a problem with salitre, I would also be looking into painting with a product that breathes. They do exist.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:30 pm

Well, I used Prisa Polyprisa Satinado (latex paint) on all my interior walls, 2 coats, after a coat of 5-1 sealer, and haven't had salitre appear anywhere except where the water was standing against my house.

Which is not to say a breathable paint wouldn't be a good idea. It seems like it would help in an already built house that didn't have sealed foundations, that you weren't about to dig up around and seal.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:41 am

I found this a while ago and am giving it consideration for the future... https://www.mychemicalfreehouse.net/2021/01/breathable-paints-high-perm-rating-wall-coatings.html
Plan B, have you had any feedback or have you contacted Biodry for more information?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:36 pm

ferret wrote:I found this a while ago and am giving it consideration for the future... https://www.mychemicalfreehouse.net/2021/01/breathable-paints-high-perm-rating-wall-coatings.html
Plan B, have you had any feedback or have you contacted Biodry for more information?

I have requested information and they simply sent the link to their website.
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:47 pm

That doesn't bode well for their customer service, does it?

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:11 pm

No it doesn't. Disappointed.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:25 pm

Still digging into this.
I found this site, in Spain, which is mostly in English. https://www.biodry.es/en
The blog is interesting reading because it seems to be used in much older architecturally significant buildings (long before waterproofing existed) for the purposes of preservation.
This second link gives pricing (in Euros) and the pricing is based on square meters (I don't understand the pricing logically because it should be based on the number of units required but doesn't appear to be.???) http://www.generadordeprecios.info/obra_nueva/Aislamientos_e_impermeabilizaciones/NH_Tratamiento_de_humedades_por_c/Dispositivos/NHD010_Sistema__BIODRY___de_proteccion_fre.html#gsc.tab=0
Hmmm. No electricity required and just a box to place on a wall so why the need for inspection and installation. Why is this not diy?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:51 pm

Going back to Plan B's original link, if you scroll down, there is a map of countries in red where BioDry is located. If you hover your mouse over any of the countries in red, a pop up will appear with a phone number, an e-mail address and a website.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:24 am

ferret wrote:I also suspect the type of paint that we tend to use is suspect. If I had a problem with salitre, I would also be looking into painting with a product that breathes. They do exist.

Resurrecting this post because I found an article that backs my suspicion up. Of course, it's not available here but I am going to paint with just a plain latex paint next time... unless anyone has tripped over a natural clay based paint here???
https://www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com/post/q-and-a-breathable-paints#:~:text=When%20it%20comes%20to%20paint,or%20emit%20potentially%20harmful%20gases.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by OldWEB Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:45 pm

Have you searched online or even have an inkling on making some?
Search "natural clay based paint"
OldWEB
OldWEB
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:36 pm

I actually looked up DIY paint-making after Ferret posted this. Most info is really for making small batches of paint for craft projects, furniture, etc. I doubt most people would want to spend the time and effort required to mix up enough paint to paint their walls.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down